Changing the nation's focus - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Changing the nation's focus

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Changing the nation's focus

Postby brewcrew4you » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:19 pm

davidmarver wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:If you are in a car and it breaks down, you (usually) can pull over to the side of the road. In a plane, you crash.

I'm guessing that if flying cars became commercialized, there'd be numerous backup systems that would not allow the vehicle to crash. However, the main thing that would need to be worked out, in my opinion, is auto-pilot and some sort of airway 'freeway' sort of thing.

Unfortunately, you can't engineer planes so that they "don't crash". Every year, at the EAA show in Wisconsin (a big air show, and a bunch of amateur pilots fly in) a handful of folks crash their little Cessna's all over the state trying to fly over for the show. These are people who actually have taken flying lessons, maintain their aircraft, etc. Now, if you put Joe Blow out there in a plane, who doesn't even know how to change his own oil in his car, there's a decent chance that preventative maintainance won't be properly performed. You'd end up with smoldering cane/plar carcasses everwhere.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:28 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:If you are in a car and it breaks down, you (usually) can pull over to the side of the road. In a plane, you crash.

I'm guessing that if flying cars became commercialized, there'd be numerous backup systems that would not allow the vehicle to crash. However, the main thing that would need to be worked out, in my opinion, is auto-pilot and some sort of airway 'freeway' sort of thing.

Unfortunately, you can't engineer planes so that they "don't crash". Every year, at the EAA show in Wisconsin (a big air show, and a bunch of amateur pilots fly in) a handful of folks crash their little Cessna's all over the state trying to fly over for the show. These are people who actually have taken flying lessons, maintain their aircraft, etc. Now, if you put Joe Blow out there in a plane, who doesn't even know how to change his own oil in his car, there's a decent chance that preventative maintainance won't be properly performed. You'd end up with smoldering cane/plar carcasses everwhere.

What I'm saying is that the only way the planes would crash if they became commercialized would be mechanical reasons. Auto-pilot would take away any real driving that would be done. Also, I'm also fairly certain that due to the fact that these 'planes' would be small-scale (meaning smaller engines), backup systems could help after a mechanical failure.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby theclefe » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:09 am

davidmarver wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:
davidmarver wrote:I'm guessing that if flying cars became commercialized, there'd be numerous backup systems that would not allow the vehicle to crash. However, the main thing that would need to be worked out, in my opinion, is auto-pilot and some sort of airway 'freeway' sort of thing.

What I'm saying is that the only way the planes would crash if they became commercialized would be mechanical reasons. Auto-pilot would take away any real driving that would be done. Also, I'm also fairly certain that due to the fact that these 'planes' would be small-scale (meaning smaller engines), backup systems could help after a mechanical failure.

Crashes are inevitable, but I think the rate of collisions in air would be dramatically lower than the rate cars collide. That, coupled with the backup system Marver and the article suggested, would make air travel a lot safer.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:22 am

theclefe wrote:Crashes are inevitable, but I think the rate of collisions in air would be dramatically lower than the rate cars collide. That, coupled with the backup system Marver and the article suggested, would make air travel a lot safer.

With normal flying around I would agree with this, but don't discount "Flying under the Influence." Landing would cause some problems. :-D
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:32 pm

roninmedia wrote:Another point in why other nations can catch up quickly to the United States in economic prowess. They can not only copy the technology advantages but they have an advantage of instantly building state of the art infrastructure without incurring the costs of tearing down the old. I thought about when I was at an engineering firm interning and we were discussing alternative fuels and we talked about the horrendous cost we would have to undertake to convert our gasoline infrastructure to say hydrogen fuel or electricity.

An economist from Peru named Hernando De Soto wrote a couple of books that also suggest that another factor that 'helps' underdeveloped countries along that line is that the systems through which land is titled are much less secure and it is easier to build new stuff b/c a lot of development is on land with little or no secure title to it so, if you want to build something, you can just run in through w/o having to haggle about eminent domain, buy people off, feud over what fair market value might be, etc.

link
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby JTWood » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:34 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:smoldering cane/plar carcasses

:-S :-S :-S
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:02 pm

how about we just transport to places with The Finger Snapper transporter

MCI Airport snap! Arrived
Vegas snap! Arrived
Grocery Store snap! Arrived
Royals Stadium snap! Arrived

Sweet Home Alabama...snap! wait, wait, I was just snapping to the music!? I don't really want to be in Alabama. :-o
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theclefe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:29 am

theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:58 am

JTWood wrote:

Exactly.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 am

brewcrew4you wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Exactly.

Well, I guess when you're 50m below the sea, weird things happen to your brain.

:-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk