New draft process questions... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New draft process questions...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New draft process questions...

Postby Rhino Tuff » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:10 pm

My league just went to a new process for drafting. We are going to use a psuedo bidding style first followed by a traditional snake style draft.

The first three rounds will be done in the process.

The owners of the 12 team (mixed league, H2H, points) will be given index cards and a top 60 playeer sheet with set prices. On those index cards the owners will write down there top three choices for their first pick plus the money they wish to bid, whether above or right on the money sheet list.

Example:
1) Arod $40
2) Sheffield $37
3) Randy Johnson $25

The commish then goes through each card and finds out who bidded on who and for how much. The person with Arod on his card for the highest money wins Arod. One on one auctions only occur if proces match (we are going to bring out the prices to penny example price must read $40.56, last number can't be a zero, I think to cut down on the possibility that there will be a timely auction process.)

This will go on for 3 index cards then go to a traditional snake draft.

MY question is who would you write down on your first card, realizing that probably three people will write down A Rod, 2 or 3 will write down Pujols, etc. etc....
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:14 pm

very strange. i've never heard of anything like that. seems like all luck and guessing games rather than actual team building skills. i guess id go for a few mid-late first round guys like beltran, sheffield and pedro and try to bid a few dollars under market value to try and steal them. other than that, im not sure what to tell you.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Erboes » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:20 pm

You have to have a limit on what you can spend, right? I mean, you can't write down $10 million down each for three players, can you?

Assuming there's some sort of cap, I'd put down $2 less than the cap for A-Rod then $1 each for the least likely players on that list to be bid on. That's just me, though, I'm a schemer. Maybe if you give a bit more info on the salary structure I could give a better answer.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Arlo » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:44 pm

I'm a bit confused ... will the salaries play any role in the snake draft? Will you lose picks or budget by spending on players in the first three rounds?

If the budget won't have any further relevance, the important thing seems to be to land three players, which means A-Rod and Pujols bids are out, but I'm not sure I understand the system yet...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

O.K. let me try to clarify

Postby Rhino Tuff » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:48 pm

Their is no set salary cap until the draft has been completed. What happens is there is a master list with salaries for each player. We are going with millions (I'm still not sure what the exact prices will be, I imagine they will be somewhat comparable to other lists based on $260...) The salary cap is determined after the draft, by averaging the price of the 23 man rosters of the 12 teams. Whatever this number is will be the salary cap. The Commish feels that there will be people over and under the cap and has come up with monetary penalties if you are indeed over the cap. There are various times in the season when the salary numbers are reveiwed.

So basically salary will only really come into effect after the draft is said and done.

I thought of bidding lower than the sheet value but unfortunately you can't bid lower than book value :-[.

So now what I'm trying to figure out is how not to butt heads with any of the other 12 owners.

As I said before there are going to be those owners that bid on Arod, and Pujols, and Vlad... Who do you think will be the first player on the card, and who do you think will be available without a fight?
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tlef316 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:53 pm

my suggestion is to find a league that makes sense. the whole thing seems very gimmicky and its nearly impossible to give advice because im willing to bet almost nobody here has any kind of experience with this kind of system.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheRock » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:07 pm

I agree. While it does sound new and different, it's new and different in a 'requires no skill and some people will come out of the auction phase with crap and some will clean house' kind of way. I don't know that you can only partly do an auction like this. If your league wants to go auction just do it, otherwise it will be better for everyone to just stick with the traditional draft.

Was there a problem/concern being addressed with this new technique? There's got to be a better solution.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

The Commish

Postby Rhino Tuff » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:36 pm

Came up with the idea I think. This will be an inaugrual season of a keeper league. I think he is trying to have the best of both worlds in my opinion. We get a taste of an auction but without the time it takes so therefore the sanke draft process.

I agree there will be some teams that if they aren't shrewd will come away from the auction part of the draft with some unfortunate picks. But I think there is a way to capitalize and so forth. The big thing is if you think the guy you are putting number one on your index card is going to be taken then you have to lock up your second pick.

example:

Three teams write A Rod number 1.
Team 1 has A rod at his listed price $40.00...
Team 2 has A rod at $42.51
Team 3 has also has A rod at $42.51

Team 1 is eliminated and then it will go to his second choice let's just say Helton. If no one had Helton as there first choice than Team 1 will be rewarded Helton. Team 2 and 3 go into bidding to determine who gets A rod...

We will repeat this process for three cards until everyone has three players from the top 60, the remaining 24 players are thrown into the snake draft.

This is a league that we have been a part of for three years it is generally highly competitive coming down to the playoffs every year. We have been runner up two straight. We want to win this year.

I think our philosophy will be to go after Gagne with the first pick just trying to guess what others are going to do. Being a points league he is projected to be the number 1 pitcher...

The harder question is do we go for a Helton at 2 in case someone also goes for Gagne above our bid (we intend on putting the min. due to the fact that we think that no one else is going to plan on Gagne.) Or do we go for V. Wells because it is likely that many people won't have him on there first card.

Sorry that this seems so foreign to everyone. I'm just looking for advice. I understand that the league doesn't make a lot of sense at first glance but it looks interesting to say the least.
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Re: New draft process questions...

Postby justinA » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:44 pm

Rhino Tuff wrote:My league just went to a new process for drafting. We are going to use a psuedo bidding style first followed by a traditional snake style draft.

The first three rounds will be done in the process.

The owners of the 12 team (mixed league, H2H, points) will be given index cards and a top 60 playeer sheet with set prices. On those index cards the owners will write down there top three choices for their first pick plus the money they wish to bid, whether above or right on the money sheet list.

Example:
1) Arod $40
2) Sheffield $37
3) Randy Johnson $25

The commish then goes through each card and finds out who bidded on who and for how much. The person with Arod on his card for the highest money wins Arod. One on one auctions only occur if proces match (we are going to bring out the prices to penny example price must read $40.56, last number can't be a zero, I think to cut down on the possibility that there will be a timely auction process.)

This will go on for 3 index cards then go to a traditional snake draft.

MY question is who would you write down on your first card, realizing that probably three people will write down A Rod, 2 or 3 will write down Pujols, etc. etc....

very weird like everyone else said. We do something LIKE that for our FA picks that we have every 1st and 15th of the month. We E-Mail 5 guys we would want to pick up with how much wed pay and then a commish gets the emails and looks to see who bid the highest on who and thats who u get. The dynamic of set FA dates adds to trades. You can throw it in the trade like a draft pick in NFL. Everyone starts with one. But i digress, personally, i think its kinda bogus, do it one way or another. Im not too big on the set salaries. You cant get a deal or bait sum1 in to overpaying.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ensanimal » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:47 pm

me so confused :*)
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 92)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers