Chase Utley vs. BJ Upton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chase Utley vs. BJ Upton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chase Utley vs. BJ Upton

Postby djacks » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:34 pm

Is Upton the next superstar middle infielder? He has virtually identical number to Utley...is he ready to take over the top spot from Utley next year for best fantasy 2B?
AVG OBP SLG
Utley 0.3358 0.4143 0.5815
Upton 0.3309 0.4104 0.5651

Utley is hitting HR's at a pace of 1 every 23.47 AB's...Upton is at 1 every 19.21. Utley is a double machine though at 1 every 9.73 AB's vs 1 every 14.16 AB for Upton. I like Utley's lineup around him much, much better but Upton seems on the verge of being something special, especially considering he doesn't turn 23 until August 21st. Utley will turn 29 in December.

Thoughts?
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chase Utley vs. BJ Upton

Postby chipper » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:45 pm

I still think Roberts and Phillips may be more consistent and better options at least for next year.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:52 pm

bj upton is a great talent but its completely unfair to compair him to chase utley. for starters, upton's k rate is alarming. so alarming in fact that it would be impossible for him to maintain as high an average as hes had already.

upton will steal significantly more bases than your utley's, phillips, cano's though.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:19 pm

I don't think the two are close right now although Upton is not short on talent. Unfortunately Upton will probably settle in CF so he won't qualify at 2B after next year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:24 pm

Utley is better, and by a fair margin. Until Upton learns some plate discipline, there is no contest.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:06 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't think the two are close right now although Upton is not short on talent. Unfortunately Upton will probably settle in CF so he won't qualify at 2B after next year.

That's really a big part of your answer I think. The current situation for Upton is about as good as you can get for a fantasy owner; he's playing all over the place, getting all sorts of eligibility. Going forward, I'd guess he gets fewer positions of eligibility, and the ones he's likely to stop playing are the infield positions, where he's most valuable.

I like the guy, but I'd be pretty amazed if he approached the value of Utley.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:05 am

Yea doesn't even matter since Upton won't have 2B eligibility after 2008. Too bad really..
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jcook3127 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:23 am

Well, I'm not even going to put Upton in the same sentence as the top second basemen on the board...but he's been a pleasent surprise this season...

One thing, besides Upton's K rate that is alarming, is his BABIP...Upton's batting average on balls in play is up over .420

Thats crazy...

Its also weird how all of a sudden Upton has become a valable fantasy player when before he couldn't stay in the bigs...maybe be figured it out overnight, but I will certainly be skeptical of him next season

To put him on Utley's level though is crazy...

PEACE
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:54 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Yoda wrote:I don't think the two are close right now although Upton is not short on talent. Unfortunately Upton will probably settle in CF so he won't qualify at 2B after next year.

That's really a big part of your answer I think. The current situation for Upton is about as good as you can get for a fantasy owner; he's playing all over the place, getting all sorts of eligibility. Going forward, I'd guess he gets fewer positions of eligibility, and the ones he's likely to stop playing are the infield positions, where he's most valuable.

I think OF is pretty thin as well. I also believe that he will eventually be a 30-30 player. He is only 22.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:57 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:

Now, if we only knew someone at Yahoo that could make for some seemless eligibility transitions. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers