Vlad and the hr derby curse.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad and the hr derby curse....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vlad and the hr derby curse....

Postby ab » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:52 am

C'mon, the hr derby curse isn't real. That's just silly. There's no such thing as a curse! I refuse to believe it!

So what the #@$! is wrong with Vlad?

Post ASB:
.294/.333/.382

Thoughts on his second half and what's to come?
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:08 am

I'm wondering the same, as are many of his owners. I think he'll make up for lost time before the end of the season, but I just wish he start hitting HRs sooner rather than later.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/tbd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 255)

Re: Vlad and the hr derby curse....

Postby hot4tx » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:15 am

You mean Nancy Guerrero? He's making mine the first coed team in fantasy baseball history.

Due to stacked OF/Util I've been benching him for the past 3 weeks now in favor of Hideki Matsui/Kenny Lofton combo depending on if I need HR or SBs more that week.

He started off really slow last year and then came on big. This year he started off hot and then slumped. I guess even guys that hit .320 - .330 but swing at everything go through extended slumps? I hope he rights his ship in the next few weeks. Gonna need his bat for the playoff run with Utley out.

Any Angels fan have any insight? I watched him closely the last time the halos came to Texas and he didn't seem to be doing anything different than usual and didn't look lost or anything. Maybe his back is just sore from carrying that joke of an offense for so long?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:20 am

It has struck Prince as well.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:22 am

hot4tx wrote:Maybe his back is just sore from carrying that joke of an offense for so long?

Ha, as a Rangers fan I'd love to agree. But over the past 4 days they have destroyed two of my pitchers (Nate Robertson and Jeremy Bonderman) and now I have Felix against them tonight in the same league. So I think I'll be nice to their offense....even if it is a joke. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby hot4tx » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 am

slomo007 wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Maybe his back is just sore from carrying that joke of an offense for so long?

Ha, as a Rangers fan I'd love to agree. But over the past 4 days they have destroyed two of my pitchers (Nate Robertson and Jeremy Bonderman) and now I have Felix against them tonight in the same league. So I think I'll be nice to their offense....even if it is a joke. :-b

Yeah that was mostly for intra-divisional noise talk and actually was based on zero fact or quality analysis. :-/
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Field » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:38 am

He's only hit 5 homeruns since May 4th, so I'd say that it probably goes a little bit deeper than the "Homerun Derby" explanation.

He still seems to be hitting the ball really hard, just not getting it into the air. With almost as many doubles as all of last year, I expect the HR's to come very soon. It's not like hes a 50 HR guy anyway, he's more of a 30 HR player at this point; a mark he could still reach if he has an August similar to his April.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby 5 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:40 am

Field wrote:He's only hit 5 homeruns since May 4th, so I'd say that it probably goes a little bit deeper than the "Homerun Derby" explanation.

He still seems to be hitting the ball really hard, just not getting it into the air. With almost as many doubles as all of last year, I expect the HR's to come very soon. It's not like hes a 50 HR guy anyway, he's more of a 30 HR player at this point; a mark he could still reach if he has an August similar to his April.

Exactly. He didn't hit many long balls before the derby. He'll go on one of those Vlad streaks soon.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:46 am

I know that most people think the derby curse is a myth but I see it happen to so many great players. Bay a few years back even came out and said that it altered his swing for the rest of the season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 5 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:51 am

Yoda wrote:I know that most people think the derby curse is a myth but I see it happen to so many great players. Bay a few years back even came out and said that it altered his swing for the rest of the season.

I think it effects a few players but look how many people it didn't happen to.
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers