Any Gems on my Minor League Roster? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Any Gems on my Minor League Roster?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any Gems on my Minor League Roster?

Postby bmd » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:52 am

I'm in a league that allows us to draft a minor league roster. Here's mine:

Ian Stewart - 3B - Rockies
Troy Patton - P - Astros
Eric Campbell - 3B - Braves
4. Brandon Jones - OF - Braves
5. Gorkys Hernandez - OF - Tigers
6. Tyler Colvin - OF - Cubs
7. Johnny Cueto - P - Reds
8. Adrian Cardenas - SS - Phillies
9. Radhames Liz - Orioles
10. Jair Jurrjens - P - Tigers
11. Pedro Beato - P - Orioles
12. David Purcey - P - Blue Jays
13. Greg Miller - P - Dodgers
14. Jose Arredondo - P - Angels
15. Matt Antonelli - 2B - Padres
16. Kory Casto - OF - Nationals

Who do you think are the players that standout from this list?
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Any Gems on my Minor League Roster?

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:05 pm

Ian Stewart - 3B - Rockies -- Once a highly regarded prospect, then struggle for a year or so and now seems to be finding his stroke again. I like him, just not sure where he fits in with Colorado.

Troy Patton - P - Astros -- MLB #3 at best, which isn't a bad thing just don't expect ace.

Eric Campbell - 3B - Braves -- I like him, i'd put him just a notch below Ian Stewart though.

4. Brandon Jones - OF - Braves -- Solid potential for a good mix of speed and power but he doesn't have a very good contact rate.

5. Gorkys Hernandez - OF - Tigers -- Young speed guy, not sure he will develop alot of power but you've got time to keep an eye on him and see how he develops.

6. Tyler Colvin - OF - Cubs -- Similar to Brandon Jones but younger.

7. Johnny Cueto - P - Reds -- Very impressive so far. Very good K/BB and avg against. Keep your eye on him! He is a smallish guy so thats not a plus but watch his progress.

8. Adrian Cardenas - SS - Phillies -- If he can stay in the middle infield he looks like a solid prospect. Still young but for a middle infielder things are looking good!

9. Radhames Liz - Orioles -- Always has had very good stuff but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He'll likely turn into a bullpen guy if he can't improve that control. Great stuff but he doesn't know where it is going. Keep an eye on his progress with control.

10. Jair Jurrjens - P - Tigers -- Solid pitcher, MLB #2 is probably his ceiling but more likely a #3.

11. Pedro Beato - P - Orioles -- Young, big guy who needs to work on his control. He's just so-so for me.

12. David Purcey - P - Blue Jays -- He's droppable or tradeable as a throw in. He's getting too old and hasn't shown alot.

13. Greg Miller - P - Dodgers -- A reliever with HORRIBLE control....he makes Liz look like Maddux!

14. Jose Arredondo - P - Angels -- Has some solid stuff just needs to work on control and secondary stuff. Good guy to keep an eye on, he could go either way.

15. Matt Antonelli - 2B - Padres -- Very solid player, especially now that he moved to 2B, he has a great eye at the plate and his power is on the rise!

16. Kory Casto - OF - Nationals -- He's getting old now and doesn't look like he will be very consistant in the bigs. He has some pop but I'm not sure that will give him a secure job.

My favs, in no particular order, are...
Ian Stewart
Tyler Colvin
Johnny Cueto
Matt Antonelli
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any Gems on my Minor League Roster?

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:35 am

The one guy on that list tht is really exciting to me is Gorkys Hernandez. Very young for his level, he may see a call-up late next year and be a regular in the bigs by 2009, at the tender age of 22. I see the Tigers making Granderson expendable for him, and the really exciting thing is that at the age of 19, he has shown a nice eye, excellent instincts on the bases with a 85% success ratio of stolen bags, and his power is said to be Soriano-like, although to me, that will be significantly dampened by the Tiger Stadium effect. I also like Antonelli, but for the same reason that I do like Jay Bruce in the bandbox that is Cincinnatti's ballpark, I don't like John Cueto. That park just seems to have a bad thing for pitchers when you factor in the dimensions.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Return to Minor League & College Baseball