Calling all opinions.........Time to Evaluate! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calling all opinions.........Time to Evaluate!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Calling all opinions.........Time to Evaluate!

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 4:23 pm

Ok,

After fixing my other team in my other league (for the time being). I need to make some repairs on this team. Here is the roster.

C- Piazza
1B- Palmeiro (on bench right now b/c he pulled up lame last night)
2B- Boone
3B- Glaus
SS- Jeter
OF- Floyd
OF- Klesko
OF- Tori Hunter
Util- Frank Thomas

Bench:

Austin Kearns (starting this week at Util, b/c I moved Thomas to 1B to cover for Palmerio)
Jeremy Giambi (best OF off the wire available)
Tony Batista

Pitchers:

Chan Ho Park
Ramon Ortiz
Orlando Hernandez
Josh Beckett
Kris Benson (starting this week w/2 starts)
Mesa
Urbina

Bench

Kenny Rogers
Carlos Hernandez
Todd Ritchie

I lost last week b/c I was a complete idiot and sat Jeter and played Batista b/c he was so hot. Dumbass move! %-6 . Plus Nomo had 2 starts and stunk up the joint both times.

Anyway, I think that I need a Stud Outfielder. My infield is solid and my pitching is average. I could use a quality starter. Daryl Kile is on the wire, but he isn't doing any better than who I have on my bench. I picked up Giambi b/c he was the best on the wire, but he isn't a quality week in and week out starter.

So, my questions are:

1. Am I correct in needing to acquire a STUD OF? If so, who would you package? Floyd's health scares me, Hunter's inconsistency scares me. Klesko's health scares me. Kearns lack of experience scares me.

2. OR, should I focus on pitching?

Any suggestions are welcome! I know that Obi-one-Arlo will help, but I would like other opinions as well! Thanks!

I am out. ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zpalm » Mon May 13, 2002 5:32 pm

I take it this league is H2H, how many teams? Additionally, what category have you been doing poorly in or very well in?

Upon initial glance of your team i notice a lack of a big name starting pitcher to anchor your team (RJ, Pedro, Schilling, Mussina, Vazquez, etc.). If i had to guess you are getting smoked in K's but i maybe wrong you could be doing ok by having hurlers starting two times every week like benson is this week.

I haven't been in a h2h in a while but as i remember it favors Batters more because you can fill in mediocre hurlers and do ok in wins, k's if they pitch two times in one week. Additionally, in H2H the easiest category to win is stolen bases, add Ichiro, Damon, Castilla (or another speedster and you have stolen bases wrapped up for the week.

Ultimately, you need to re-examine where you are doing poorly and trade to improve that area.
zpalm
College Coach
College Coach

SP

Postby cwebb » Mon May 13, 2002 6:30 pm

Yeah, go with pitching, your OF is good! Okay, no Sosa or Vladimir in there but three top guys!

Your rotation misses a real stud or two!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 7:05 pm

Ok, to clarify. This is in a points h2h league on Sportsline. After reading the first two replies, I am thinking of packaging Batista (qualifies at SS) and a pitcher for a stud pitcher.

or, should I do the above for an OF.

Arlo, whatcha think?

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Mon May 13, 2002 7:39 pm

Random thoughts:

I think your current shift (Kearns into your lineup) could evolve from a quick fix to a permanent upgrade. Watch Kearns' playing time like a hawk. I like him very much, though, and I think the Reds will find him lots of at bats.

Yes, a masher in the outfield would help, but don't overpay. Concentrate on starting pitching first. If a deal for a top of comes up, go for it, but I'd try to use my resources (such as Batista) to improve my rotation.

I'd drop Giambi for Kile. Giambi-caliber players will be available throughout the season, but if Kile returns to his old form (something I'm not certain of, by the way), you want to be there when it happens. Plus, the more arms you have, the better you can exploit good matchups.

zpalm mentioned that batters dominate some h2h leagues, but starters rule others. Is either the case in your league? In h2h leagues, the team that wins is often the team that figures out just which players have the most value in your scoring format. If, as zpalm suggested, steals are key, you could pick up a Castillo type player for much less than he'll be worth to you, and then turn around and trade Boone for a starter. If, on the other hand, steals are worth little (I remember playing in a sandbox league a while back where speedsters weren't worth owning, no matter how many steals they racked up), go the opposite way.

Batista plus a starter sounds like a great plan, but I think you'll have to be flexible to acquire an anchor starter. One guy I'd be shopping with a vengeance is Kenny Rogers. I have a hard time believing he's turned into a reliable ace overnight.

Bottom line: assuming this league has relatively standard scoring, I'd pull out all the stops to get a dependable ace. (Of course, if Benson returns in a big way, it would be a huge step in the right direction).

By the way, what's the status of Prior, Myers & Co. in your leahue? Any chance you could pick up one of those guys when they get called up?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 7:55 pm

I always enjoy reading your posts Arlo. Before this site, I thought that I was one of the few that would do nothing but analyze fantasy baseball!

Ok, to answer some questions.

I agree with Kearns. I know that once Griffey comes back, the question marks begin.

Here is my point system.

Batting:

Single = 1pt
Double = 2pts
Triple = 3pts
HR = 4pts
RBI = 1pt
Run = 1pt
Walks = 1 pt
Stolen Bases = 2 pts

Pitching

Wins= 10pts
Saves = 10pts
Complete Game = 5 pts
Strikeouts = 1pt
Innings Pitched = 2pts
Walks = -.5
Hits allowed = -.5
ER= -1

As for Prior & Myers. Prior is gone. I picked him up in my other league and as I was doing the same in this one, someone literally did it 2 minues before me. Brett Myers is still on the wire.

So I guess you think I should shop Batista/Rogers for a starter?

One team that needs a SS (he is starting Orlando Cabrera) has Dempster, Colon, Leiber, Lowe, Russ Ortiz, and the others aren't worth typing. He also has Griffey & Giles who would pump up my OF. He has Manny, but I cannot afford to wait 6 weeks on him even if he did trade him.

Here is a thought. Just a thought that you possibly gave me. I just thought of this, so I haven't thought it through. I just checked the wire and Luis Castillo is on the wire. What if I tried to trade Batista/Boone for an OF and a SP and then drop Giambi for Castillo? Or add Tori Hunter and ask for Griffey/Giles? Probably wouldn't give up both? As always, the mind is racing.

What do you think Arlo?

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 10:20 pm

As always, I am still thinking.

What do you think if I offered:

Batista
Boone
Beckett

(He asked for Batista and Beckett before)

for:

Giles
Colon
Lowe

My thought process (you can see the roster above)

He wanted Batista/Beckett. He needs a 2B since he has Ortiz. I would be trading 2 of my starters for 3 starters for my team. He has Lowe on his bench for some reason. My only concern is that he doesn't have a TRUE stud #1 pitcher . Colon is good, but Cleveland isn't what it used to be. Lowe is unproven as a starter. Giles is a stud. Maybe I should ask for Griffey instead of Giles? Geez, one minute I like the trade, then I don't. Hell, I don't know.
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 14, 2002 5:58 am

More thoughts:

I like Myers. If Benson looks shaky in his next few starts, Myers might be a good risk to take.

With your scoring, Castillo probably won't set the world on fire. If you can get a stud for Boone, go ahead and fall back on Castillo, but I'd shop others first.

I like Lowe more than Colon, but think Beckett is easily their equal (just make sure he's parked firmly on the bench this week).

I'm not sure about this deal. In fact, I'm really not sure. It looks fairly even, but I'd see if there's anything better to be had (After all, it sounds as if you'll be thinking about other options anyway). At any rate, it would give you more time to analyze this proposal. You're right - it looks good one minute, less so the next. I'd love to hear some more opinions on this.

Any thoughts?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mktgteach » Wed May 15, 2002 10:35 pm

Well the first trade has been made in an attempt to improve my team.

I just traded Tori Hunter and Orlando Hernandez

FOR

Gary Sheffield

One of my famous 2 for 1 trades.

I still have Tony Batista to try to now add a pitcher.

My outfield will now look like this.

Sheffield
Floyd
Klesko

With Austin Kearns giving me depth.

So my new hitting lineup looks like this

C- Piazza
1B- Palmeiro
2B- Boone
3B- Glaus
SS- Jeter
Of- Floyd
OF- Sheffield
OF- Klesko
Util - I have Frank Thomas, Austin Kearns, Tony Batista, Jack Cust (picked him up b/c I had the spot. If I need to drop him I can. Just wanted to have him in case he gets the shot)

So, I have some leverage to obtain a good starting pitcher.

I have a trade proposal of Batista/Beckett for Mussina or Hudson. Probably won't happen.

If not, I could probably trade Batista for either Colon or Lowe. But I will wait and see.

Whatcha think?

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mktgteach » Thu May 16, 2002 12:10 am

The trade that I just announced on here already has 2 objections. I am a little shocked. Sheffield is hitting poorly right now. Hunter is in a slide and El Duque just got bombed. If everyone lives up to their potential it is a fairly even trade. What am I missing in my tunnel vision to see why this might be vetoed?

On a side note, I just dropped Jack Cust and grabbed Tankersley. Rumor has it that Peavy might not be too far away from the majors.

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers