Corpas vs Fuentes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Corpas vs Fuentes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Corpas vs Fuentes

Postby Bwanna » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:51 am

bretnsid wrote:Will [Fuentes] be closing?

Unless we hear something definitive from Hurdle, I don't think there's anyway to tell. My gut says that Corpas will continue to close as long as he's successful. If I were Hurdle, I'd hate to rock the boat being only 5 games back.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AdvRider » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:33 am

From Rotowire Wednesday 8/15:

Fuentes was activated from the DL and threw a scoreless innning in Tuesday's loss to San Diego. However, he won't be used as the closer initially. "I want to make sure we keep him healthy," manager Clint Hurdle told the team's official web site. "Once we can get him in a back-to-back days situation, that's when we can get real sharp on the back end [of the bullpen]."

Recommendation: It looks like Manny Corpas will keep the closer role in the short term, but Fuentes could win it back once he shows he's back to full strength. Still, it sounds possible Corpas may keep the role for the rest of the season, so downgrade Fuentes' value at this point.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:46 pm

Sportsline wrote: Analysis: Fuentes took the roster spot of Tim Harikkala, who was designated for assignment on Sunday after starting against Chicago. Manuel Corpas has done such a good job as the closer in Fuentes' absence, that manager Clint Hurdle has decided not to tinker with his bullpen setup just yet. Fuentes needs Corpas to start looking over his shoulder and choking to get to that point. For now, Corpas remains a must-start in all NL-only Fantasy leagues and some deeper mixed formats and Rotisserie leagues.

They seem to believe it is Corpas' job to lose. He has earned that right so far. Why mess with whats been working... and its not like Fuentes wouldn't be just as important in a set up position if he does do good, from the team's perspective that is.

Well, as a Corpas owner, thats what I'm hoping anyway...
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates