Corpas vs Fuentes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Corpas vs Fuentes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Corpas vs Fuentes

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:25 am

Fuentes will probably be eased back in like Mr. Street over in Oakland. However, if that situation is any indication, I wouldn't advise any Corpas owners to ditch him until Brian gets his first save or two (and that can be at min. a few weeks away.) In keeper leagues that keep a large number of players, I'd rather have Corpas as he's 8 years younger and appears to have a really nice career ahead of him.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby rainman23 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:06 am

I'm a Fuentes owner, and the only scenario where I would give him the job back this year is -- he comes back, he's pitching well, and Corpas starts to tank it. As long as Corpas continues to do the job well, it's his job this year. I don't mess with what's working. But of course managers sometimes have that loyalty thing going, and GM's sometimes have that "don't want to spend closer $$$ on my setup man" thing going...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:30 am

I think this argument is pissing into the wind until Fuetes is actually ready to take the mound in a MLB game. From what Ive been reading, that's not likely to happen for at least another two weeks, barring any setbacks (which happen all the time). Then I expect at least another week before he's ready to get the ball in the 9th whether he's the closer or not. So bottom line: Corpas is the closer for at least another 3 weeks and maybe more. Lots can happen in that time. He could stink it up, Fuentes could suffer a setback, they could decide Matt Holliday should be the closer, etc. In the meantime, there's nothing to do if you own either Corpas or Fuentes; you just sit tight.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rainman23 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:56 am

Secret Avatar wrote:I think this argument is pissing into the wind until Fuetes is actually ready to take the mound in a MLB game. From what Ive been reading, that's not likely to happen for at least another two weeks, barring any setbacks (which happen all the time). Then I expect at least another week before he's ready to get the ball in the 9th whether he's the closer or not. So bottom line: Corpas is the closer for at least another 3 weeks and maybe more. Lots can happen in that time. He could stink it up, Fuentes could suffer a setback, they could decide Matt Holliday should be the closer, etc. In the meantime, there's nothing to do if you own either Corpas or Fuentes; you just sit tight.

Good point. If you're one of us antsy Fuentes owners, though, there are some other options out there that look slightly promising in places like Baltimore and Texas. You have to at least consider the idea of dropping Fuentes for a Baez, Wilson, or Benoit. Each of whom come with question marks of their own. Unsettling times for those of us who like to scan the FA list for saves...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ceLpH » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Corpas came into the 9th inning tonight with 1 hitter on and nobody out.. he got the next batter to hit into a ground ball and Tulowitzki made an error.... 2 uninherited runners and was able to pitch out of it without giving up a hit or BB

lights out, no way Fuentes gets the role back
http://cashcrate.com/408420

^easy money by filling out referrals and surveys
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:47 am

I guess Funston owns Corpas too (excerpted from this week's "MLB Skinny"):

Skinny: Corpas remains a revelation in the closer role for the injured Fuentes in Colorado. He's eight-for-eight in save chances, his ERA is below 1.00 post All-Star break and he's walked just two batters in his past 14 outings. Forget about Fuentes' chances of returning to end-game duties in '07. Corpas has taken this job and is not looking back.
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ha_jai » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:26 pm

This is what I saw on Fanball.com newsbreakers

Rockies: Fuentes throws bullpen
The News

Brian Fuentes, out with a strained left lateral, threw 25 pitches in the bullpen Sunday and said his shoulder felt fine, according to the AP. He's scheduled to throw a simulated game on Tuesday.
Our View

It's still unclear when Fuentes will be ready to rejoin the Rockies, but manager Clint Hurdle has already stated that Fuentes will move back into the closer role upon his return.

http://www.fanball.com/bb/newsbreakers. ... numRows.20
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:24 pm

Secret Avatar is right.
for at least another 3 weeks and maybe more. Lots can happen in that time. He could stink it up, Fuentes could suffer a setback

But to break it down from the Headcoach point of view:
Corpas remains the closer til Fuentes proves it that he is just as good as Corpas, or Corpas blows up.
Fuentes will get his job back, if both are pitching well, or if both suck.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:32 pm

"Good point. If you're one of us antsy Fuentes owners, though, there are some other options out there that look slightly promising in places like Baltimore and Texas. You have to at least consider the idea of dropping Fuentes for a Baez, Wilson, or Benoit. Each of whom come with question marks of their own. Unsettling times for those of us who like to scan the FA list for saves..."

Point taken. Personally, I think it's Corpas the rest of the way. He's been ridiculous. If Fuentes was actually ready and pitching 1-2-3 eighth innings, it would be a close call. But he's not so it's not. If you really need saves, I would look elsewhere than Fuentes. I've picked up CJ Wilson and he has racked up a few quick saves already. My advice to you would be to do the same.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bretnsid » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:56 am

Good news on Fuentes. He pitched another scoreless inning in his rehab start on Sunday. 1 Hit and 1 Strikeout. Rotoworld now reports:

Brian Fuentes-R- Rockies Aug. 13 - 7:27 am et

Brian Fuentes (strained muscle in rib cage) will be activated from the disabled list prior to Tuesday's game.
Fuentes has been out since July 4 due to the muscle strain in his above his rib cage. It hasn't been announced if he will resume his closer role immediately or be eased back into the spot following his activation from the disabled list.

So whatcha guys think? I am about to pick him up right now i think. I can keep him in my DL slot to see if he's ok for a few days...Will he be closing?
...somewhere, on other planets, actual "Beasts" are referring to each other as "Brauns."
bretnsid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates