Corpas vs Fuentes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Corpas vs Fuentes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Corpas vs Fuentes

Postby 5 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:42 am

Brian Fuentes (strained rib-cage muscle) was pain-free one day after his bullpen session on Wednesday.

Fuentes will throw another bullpen session on Saturday and then could begin a minor league rehab assignment next week.
Source: Rocky Mountain News
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:21 am

I think the deal here is that Fuentes owners think Fuentes is the closer and Corpas owners think Corpas is the closer. As a Corpas owner, unfortunately I think you have to believe the article that was quoted earler that Fuentes will be re-instated upon his return. I think it would be a silly thing to do, but it doesn't get much more clear in that article that that's what's going to happen.
I'd just like to ask that the Fuentes owners chill with the "of course he's coming back" comments; his four consecutive blown saves was ineptitude that's rarely ever been achieved in the bigs - it had been 40 years or so since it last happened....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ceLpH » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:36 am

I really dont see how they can strip Corpas of his closer role when hes been stellar with no flaws, Id be looking for a new place to pitch if that happened

yes Fuentes was an all-star caliber reliever but 4 straight blown saves?
http://cashcrate.com/408420

^easy money by filling out referrals and surveys
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nomarrrrrrrrrr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:05 pm

pappymojo wrote:In my mind, it's a no-brainer to put Fuentes back in the closer position when he's healthy. Fuentes has been a very good closer for three years now. Fighting for a playoff spot, the team needs someone that they know can do the job. Corpas is very good and he'll probably be their closer next year, but Fuentes is their safest bet.

Wow that is interesting. One guy has been lights out and has 8 straight saves since taking over. The other guy is coming off an injury and before the injury stank it up blowing 4 straight saves for losses and had another bad appearance right after. So you are saying the guy that turned 4 wins into 4 losses and is coming off an injury is the no-brainer safe bet over the guy that has closed dominantly for about a month? Are you delusional or just a Fuentes owning homer?
Nomarrrrrrrrrr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Nomarrrrrrrrrr wrote:
pappymojo wrote:In my mind, it's a no-brainer to put Fuentes back in the closer position when he's healthy. Fuentes has been a very good closer for three years now. Fighting for a playoff spot, the team needs someone that they know can do the job. Corpas is very good and he'll probably be their closer next year, but Fuentes is their safest bet.

Wow that is interesting. One guy has been lights out and has 8 straight saves since taking over. The other guy is coming off an injury and before the injury stank it up blowing 4 straight saves for losses and had another bad appearance right after. So you are saying the guy that turned 4 wins into 4 losses and is coming off an injury is the no-brainer safe bet over the guy that has closed dominantly for about a month? Are you delusional or just a Fuentes owning homer?

Below is some unbiased (as he probably doesnt care who closes) rotoworld guys take on the situation and he seems to think its not 'delusional' that Fuentes get another shot. I would tend to agree. You dont just get rid of a guy that has been a pretty darn good closer for you over the years (thats years not month like Corpas). Plus just this week Hurdle and Corpas where both saying Corpas is just keeping the spot warm for Fuentes...think it was on MLB.com

Closer: Manny Corpas (Shaky)

Key setup men: Brian Fuentes (DL), LaTroy Hawkins, Jorge Julio, Jeremy Affeldt

Corpas threw 3 1/3 more scoreless innings this week to pick up a set of saves. He's done an excellent job since taking over as closer, and Fuentes is going to have to show he's all the way back to retake the ninth. Fuentes is again throwing bullpen sessions and should be back in two weeks, but it's unlikely he'll get his old job back before September. Since the Rockies would prefer Fuentes enter next season as the closer, expect them to give him another shot before the year is out.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rainman23 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:00 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:I think the deal here is that Fuentes owners think Fuentes is the closer and Corpas owners think Corpas is the closer. As a Corpas owner, unfortunately I think you have to believe the article that was quoted earler that Fuentes will be re-instated upon his return. I think it would be a silly thing to do, but it doesn't get much more clear in that article that that's what's going to happen.
I'd just like to ask that the Fuentes owners chill with the "of course he's coming back" comments; his four consecutive blown saves was ineptitude that's rarely ever been achieved in the bigs - it had been 40 years or so since it last happened....

Come on. The guy has a stretch that is completely uncharacteristic of his history -- and then he goes on the DL. Do you think maybe he wasn't physically himself during that last stretch of games? He's done an outstanding job for the Rockies since he's been in this role, and of course the team isn't looking for the first excuse to take his job away. Corpas seems to understand that better than his fantasy owners. And, btw, most of the quotes I can see in this thread are more of the "I don't see how they can take the job from Corpas" variety.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:25 pm

4 consecutive BS = 4 consecutive BS. It doesn't matter how you slice it - that's a meltdown of historic proportions. The injury reports for Fuentes have been vague this whole time. It's arguable that his problem is psychological and not physical.
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zhutou » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:20 am

LOL at all the corpas owners going berzerk. fuentes will get the job back. i don't own either player, btw.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:12 am

zhutou wrote:LOL at all the corpas owners going berzerk. fuentes will get the job back. i don't own either player, btw.

You may be right. Suffice it to say this is a very unusual situation.....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby topdogg373 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:19 am

i am a corpas owner and unbiasly i believe he will remain the closer. as we speak the rockies still may be looking to move him through the waiver wire and with the way corpas is pitching they most likely would move him for very little and be happy that his salary is off the books.
topdogg373
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates