24 hr
110 rbi
105 runs
1 sb

so he is making me happy!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hideki Matsui

Postby slomo007 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:41 am

AdvRider wrote:Upper Hideki !! ;-D

His MLB high for HRs is 31 in '04, so with 21 now he should break his personal record, oh ... end of next week or so. ;-7 I figure he ends around 37-38 but 40+ wouldn't surprise me.

40 HR, seriously?

If I remember correctly he's a streaky power hitter whose HRs come in bunches. I remember he started the season off really hot either last year or the year before and the 40-50HR predictions started flying only to see him come back to the 25 HR hitter that he is. Granted, this year he might hit 30 given that he's already so close...but given his MLB history there's no reason to think he's suddenly going to jack 40 HRs.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby 5 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:46 am

I like Matsui...he's been beating up on subpar pitching...the thing I don't like is that he tends to struggle against the Red Sox. The Yank$ will score tons of runs anyway so I hope he keeps it going.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AdvRider » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:57 pm

slomo007 wrote:
AdvRider wrote:Upper Hideki !! ;-D

His MLB high for HRs is 31 in '04, so with 21 now he should break his personal record, oh ... end of next week or so. ;-7 I figure he ends around 37-38 but 40+ wouldn't surprise me.

40 HR, seriously?

If I remember correctly he's a streaky power hitter whose HRs come in bunches. I remember he started the season off really hot either last year or the year before and the 40-50HR predictions started flying only to see him come back to the 25 HR hitter that he is. Granted, this year he might hit 30 given that he's already so close...but given his MLB history there's no reason to think he's suddenly going to jack 40 HRs.

Well, I've been watching him and he looks awesome lately. I saw both those HRs last nite (while happily bellied up to the bar) and he is dialed in. Full disclosure -- I have Upper Hideki on three teams and may be guilty of a little irrational exuberance! ;-) 8-o

On the other hand, this is only Matsui's fourth full year in MLB (discounting 2006) and you could lead yourself to believe that he's figured a few things out now and is putting them to good use. Just turned 33 -- hitting his prime? Career year? 40+? Wouldn't be shocked.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby SmartassBoiler » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm loving his current hot streak, but there's no way he ends the season with 40 HR. Only elite power hitters put together consecutive 10 HR months, and Matsui is not that.

I think expecting 8-10 over the next two months for a total of around 30 is far more realistic.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hot4tx » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:11 pm

SmartassBoiler wrote:I'm loving his current hot streak, but there's no way he ends the season with 40 HR. Only elite power hitters put together consecutive 10 HR months, and Matsui is not that.

I think expecting 8-10 over the next two months for a total of around 30 is far more realistic.

What is an "ass boiler"? And does it hurt?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:35 pm

SmartassBoiler wrote:I'm loving his current hot streak, but there's no way he ends the season with 40 HR. Only elite power hitters put together consecutive 10 HR months, and Matsui is not that.

The thing is though that he was an elite power hitter in Japan. Now I know that the MLB is better than Japanese leagues, but there is no precedent of a power hitter like Matsui coming over from Japan. No one knows how long it would take for one to develop their power in the US. Just basing your predictions on his other three full seasons isn't enough to sell me that his power is topping out at 30, but maybe it is. My main point is that there is a valid argument that no one knows if Matsui has hit his power ceiling or not, and it is at least believable that he could hit 40 hr.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nerfherders » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:36 pm

Matsui has been incredible this past month. I traded for him in mid-June along with A-Rod, and guess who's been better? He even has two stolen bases during that span!

I'm not sure how much longer it can last, but I'm loving it while it does. 35 HR is definitely reachable, and then I'll have to strongly consider re-signing him.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Knights » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:33 pm

He's making my Matsui for Pence deal look better by the day!
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 36)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:04 pm

5 wrote:I like Matsui...he's been beating up on subpar pitching...the thing I don't like is that he tends to struggle against the Red Sox. The Yank$ will score tons of runs anyway so I hope he keeps it going.

He has hit a respectable .285 against Boston over his career so I don't really know what you're talking about.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers