Hideki Matsui - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hideki Matsui

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hideki Matsui

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:32 pm

He has been killing the ball since coming back from injury early in the season, with a lot more homeruns than usual(2 tonight). I believe he is on pace to shatter his career best in MLB. What are the chances that he is finally becoming the power hitter that he was in Japan?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hideki Matsui

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:53 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:He has been killing the ball since coming back from injury early in the season, with a lot more homeruns than usual(2 tonight). I believe he is on pace to shatter his career best in MLB. What are the chances that he is finally becoming the power hitter that he was in Japan?

Extremely unlikely. He was a 50 HR hitter with a .650+ slugging in Japan. He had an amazing July, but it is very hard to see him holding that for the rest of the year, let alone all of next year.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:57 pm

Tavish wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:He has been killing the ball since coming back from injury early in the season, with a lot more homeruns than usual(2 tonight). I believe he is on pace to shatter his career best in MLB. What are the chances that he is finally becoming the power hitter that he was in Japan?

Extremely unlikely. He was a 50 HR hitter with a .650+ slugging in Japan. He had an amazing July, but it is very hard to see him holding that for the rest of the year, let alone all of next year.

Well not necessarily a 50 hr hitter, but maybe 35-40 which would be more than his avg of around 20-25 with the Yankees.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KrunK » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:33 pm

Sell high? I've got him right now, I need a good catcher or 2nd baseman, maybe I can dangle him off for someone good.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tecmobowl12 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:12 pm

I don't have him on my team, but if I did, trading Matsui away wouldn't exactly be a high priority right now
tecmobowl12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby KrunK » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:51 am

tecmobowl12 wrote:I don't have him on my team, but if I did, trading Matsui away wouldn't exactly be a high priority right now

I don't think I am, I was just throwing it out there. My only "weak" positions are catcher and 2nd. But, I have pudge at catcher and he's ranked #5 among them and O-Dawg at 2nd who's pretty damn solid. I could use a well known solid starting pitcher right now, but I've got Lincecum, K. Escobar, Maine, Gallardo, Perez, and Felix and they've all been hot recently.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:55 am

I always saw him as a 30-110 kind of guy so he is finally showing that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:34 am

I think he will finish with 33-35 hr's

Pretty good considered he also missed around 15 games I think
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AdvRider » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:11 am

Upper Hideki !! ;-D

His MLB high for HRs is 31 in '04, so with 21 now he should break his personal record, oh ... end of next week or so. ;-7 I figure he ends around 37-38 but 40+ wouldn't surprise me.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby hot4tx » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:32 am

Lofunzo wrote:I always saw him as a 30-110 kind of guy so he is finally showing that.

This is my thoughts. I was surprised that I got him in the 6th and 7th rounds of drafts this year. He is on most of my teams. I've also been surprised at the luke-warm response I've gotten for trade offers I've made with him throughout the year. I've been told that he wouldn't start over Josh Willingham or Carlos Pena by a normally level-headed fantasy GM.

I guess part of it is people holding on to where I drafted him? I'm gonna hold him until next February in my main league (we keep 4-5 players) and trade him after the 2008 rankings come out for everyone. He'll end up top-50 definitely (barring injury) and maybe top-40 if he stays hot for the last couple months.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers