StlSluggers wrote:
I have a Mac and a PC. Does that make me a half-wit? :-b

i'm not sure that does ;-7

Says the man with a picture of rabbits with knives tied to them in his sig. :-D

touche :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Statistics Software

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:20 am

The Big Train wrote:
theclefe wrote:Perhaps I should take a training course then. I know a little about excel, but nothing complex. Is it possible to convert it to HTML without a lot of problems?

I would recommend against a training course. Most of them are overpriced and leave you with the task of trying to remember everything that was thrown at you during class which can be quite frustrating later on. Instead, I recommend a great free resource: the public library. Go there and get a couple of excel books and save yourself the money and frustration. Most introductory excel books are divided into three general sections: beginner, intermediate and advanced techniques. I'm guessing that for your purposes you probably won't have to go beyond much of the intermediate stuff. Really all you will likely need to learn is how to input data, write the appropriate formulae, and link the various data cells together to get the stat that you want. It's not difficult or very complex, but does require repetitive practice to become efficient (which is another reason why I recommend avoiding a one-time training course).

I would also advise against a course. i wouldn't think it would be neccesary. A year ago...I knew NOTHING about Excel other than how to make columns add, subtract, multiply and divide....I had created this baseball simulation card game that I playe around with a lot...and realized, I could probably computerize it on excel and save myself a lot of trouble....Long story short....Within three days I had figured out how to do most anything. And now i have a baseball simulator, a Boxing Simulator, and I'm working on adding graphics to them.

It is a program you just have to toy around with and practice trying to do different things. And to see things come together is quite fun.

And if you run into any problems or can't figure out which function to use to get a desired result...you can always just post in here and between me and some of the other guys...we could point you in the right direction.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bwanna » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Excel lets you publish files to a web site fairly easily, iirc.

I sent you a PM as well.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby theclefe » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:09 pm

The Big Train wrote:I recommend a great free resource: the public library.

I'll swing by tommorrow! Good idea. Sometimes I forget those things exist. ;-D

JTWood wrote:Clefe? Are you just wanting it to be available for d/l, or do you want it to actually be presented in a tabular format of some sorts?

I wanted to present it on a Website. To have a player, and his career stats in each sport on the page. Something clean and neat, but easy to update. Doesn't need to sort, just list chronologically.

Excel lets you publish files to a web site fairly easily, iirc.

I sent you a PM as well.

I think I'm going to have a go at it with Excel, since most of you think it is the best way to go. Once I have everything up and going, I'll post a link, though I'm a few months away from having everything complete. Thanks all for your help.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk