Where does Eric Byrnes rank in OF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where does Eric Byrnes rank in OF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where does Eric Byrnes rank in OF?

Postby dundeeslugger » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 am

Could be the hopes of a contract talking this year as he's never been this good before. I actually picked him up early in the year and dropped him during a mini slump. That was probably my biggest mistake of the year as he's outperformed Sizemore. I would have an OF of Sizemore, Byrnes and H. Matsui. all top 10 OF's in my h2h points league.

For comparison
Byrnes is hitting .300 65R 65RBI 40BB 16HR 7Triples 21 Doubles 27 SB 72 KO
Sizemore is .275 81R 55RBI 64BB 18HR 2triples, 22 doubles 27SB but hurts himself with the 108KO

of course in a roto league that doesn't count strikeouts sizemore is more valuable but in points leagues where strikeouts and extra baggers count (like my league) I'd love to have Byrnes over Sizemore. But then again, let's see how the season ends.
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:08 pm

I will be avoiding this guy like the plague next season.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:49 pm

mbuser wrote:it's his righty/lefty splits that have me baffled. had i drafted him in any league, i'm sure i would have tried to sell high a while ago

He entered the 2007 season with career lines of .242/.295/.410 versus RHP and .300/.362/.527 versus LHP. His current season line is .323/.374/.497 versus RHP and .263/.360/.535 versus LHP. The 31-year-old Byrnes has appeared in every game thus far for the Diamondbacks and is on pace for 197 H, 98 R, 24 HR, 91 RBI, and 41 SB, of which all but the HR total would be career highs

that is quite odd. he was always known as a lefty killer, but this season, those splits look like the opposite of what he has always been. maybe it's just his lucky year where everything is falling in the right place.

but trust me when i say he won't steal as many bases next year. it's obvious these steals are coming because he is in a contract year.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:19 pm

Simulacrum wrote:I will be avoiding this guy like the plague next season.

Most people in my leagues had that exact same mindset this year. Just something to think about. I agree that I doubt he'll repeat, but he won't get drafted in the first couple of rounds which is probably where his 2007 production will end up. Everyone will doubt him again like they did this year, and he'll probably put up stats that are better than his draft position would indicate.

A lot of things can happen between now and 2008, but that's how I see it happening.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:28 pm

Chalk it up as a career year and let someone else pay for him next season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PokeyReesePOTUS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:43 pm

slomo007 wrote:

Most people in my leagues had that exact same mindset this year. Just something to think about. I agree that I doubt he'll repeat, but he won't get drafted in the first couple of rounds which is probably where his 2007 production will end up. Everyone will doubt him again like they did this year, and he'll probably put up stats that are better than his draft position would indicate.

A lot of things can happen between now and 2008, but that's how I see it happening.

yep. in my league, we kept 8 players this year. the draft was 20 or 21 rounds. i picked him in the 19th. i was sitting next to two other owners from the league in an apartment that day and i was clowned for the pick. ha. ha. ha.

the guy is obviously good and, while i don't know if he can duplicate this performance next year (especially the BA and SB's), i don't think it'll be for lack of trying. he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would start slacking after a contract. a guy like this typically plays hard all the time.
Last edited by PokeyReesePOTUS on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PokeyReesePOTUS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:01 pm

i will too, only because his price will be much higher than it was this year, but man, he's really helping me trounce those losers in the 12 Angry Men league (espeically ACS)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:28 pm

slomo007 wrote:

If he finishes strong, don't you see him being off the board by the end of round 4 next season? I just don't think I could justify taking a 31 year old with career numbers like his that early.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

If he finishes strong, don't you see him being off the board by the end of round 4 next season? I just don't think I could justify taking a 31 year old with career numbers like his that early.

Like Jermaine Dye?

I'm just saying... ;-)

I agree with you though, I won't pay what it likely takes to land him unless he falls pretty far.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:29 am

I kept Byrnes for $8 in a 23 man roster, $250 keeper league. One person's take of it:

Ughh. Eric Byrnes in 2006 was the definition of “career year”. He burned out in the second half and will decline in every cat.

My response:

Madison wrote:I love how under-rated Byrnes is. Look at his stats:

2003: 414 at bats, .263 - 10 homers - 12 steals (basically his first year!)
2004: 569 at bats, .283 - 20 homers - 17 steals
2005: 412 at bats, .225 - 10 homers - 7 steals (ON THREE TEAMS!)
2006: 562 at bats, .267 - 26 homers - 25 steals

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=248417

Byrnes is sitting on 16 homers, 27 steals right now. Might not break 25 homers, but should break 20 and worth the $8 I kept him for. :-) He will be $10 to keep next year, and I see no reason not to keep him again. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers