Where does Eric Byrnes rank in OF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where does Eric Byrnes rank in OF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where does Eric Byrnes rank in OF?

Postby bcb » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:39 pm

So Byrnes is having a career year this year for the DBacks. He's an impressive 5-tool player who has been hitting for good average, decent power and high SBs. His walks and OPS are up over last year. So is he just having a really good year, or has he matured at the plate (at age 31) enough to expect these kinds of numbers for the next couple of years?

Where does he rank in the OF? Should he be mentioned in the same breath as Vlad, CLee, Sizemore, Holliday, Soriano, Maggs, Beltran, Bay, Craw and Hunter? In other words, is he a Top 10 OFer going forward?
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where does Eric Byrnes rank in OF?

Postby River Rat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:45 pm

We have to wait and see how he produces during his historically worst two months of his career, August and September stats are gaudy.

At this time I expect Byrnes is being used as a #3 OF on many fantasy teams. If he produces decent number, above what his history tells us, then I would possibly consider playing him as my #2 outfielder next season.

IMO, He is definitely not a number 1 option in the OF tiers next year! We would have to see one more year of solid production but he is getting a bit old so a decline could be expected. Just look at Raul Ibanez!
River Rat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm still concerned about how streaky he has been in his career. I definitely wouldn't put him in my top 10, and I'm not going to be offering or accepting any trades for him.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:48 pm

I have both Soriano and Byrnes, and so far Byrnes has out produced him for me.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Noggy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:51 pm

Career Pre Allstar Break - .290/.352/.499/.851
Career Post Allstar Break - .239/.298/.400/.698

His current numbers aren't too far off of his numbers this time last season which is finshed with a sub .800 OPS
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:59 pm

imo, he's probably playing for a contract and won't steal as many bases and hit as many bombs once he lands a big contract, ala soriano. i think he'll finish the season better than he historically does, but he won't be able to live up to this year's #s in 08.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RyanK » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:17 pm

I work sundays afternoons and watch fox sunday baseball and before the game theres always a half hour or so of a baseball talk show, and Byrnes has a 5 min sketch he does and talks about players in the league, he seems like an extremley odd dude, but really into baseball. Just curious what other people have seen that and any thoughts
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby AdvRider » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:19 pm

Interesting question. Byrnes has definitely surprised this year ... but IMHO he's gotta finish strong or at least steady over the next months to make a believer out of me. I've picked him up in the middle (or the END!) of a hot streak in years past only to get, um, Byrned.

Bully for Byrnes if he can pull it off. But please, Eric, stay out of the radio & TV broadcast booth !!!! %-6 :-P
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:53 am

it's his righty/lefty splits that have me baffled. had i drafted him in any league, i'm sure i would have tried to sell high a while ago

He entered the 2007 season with career lines of .242/.295/.410 versus RHP and .300/.362/.527 versus LHP. His current season line is .323/.374/.497 versus RHP and .263/.360/.535 versus LHP. The 31-year-old Byrnes has appeared in every game thus far for the Diamondbacks and is on pace for 197 H, 98 R, 24 HR, 91 RBI, and 41 SB, of which all but the HR total would be career highs
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:58 am

RyanK wrote:I work sundays afternoons and watch fox sunday baseball and before the game theres always a half hour or so of a baseball talk show, and Byrnes has a 5 min sketch he does and talks about players in the league, he seems like an extremley odd dude, but really into baseball. Just curious what other people have seen that and any thoughts

he was born in redwood city, ca, which is next to san carlos (where i live). i actually saw him in my favorite sports bar (BBC in menlo park) during last football season. he used to be on KNBR (san francisco) a lot when he played with the A's - he was definitely a bit goofy, but not necessarily in a bad way. he was just always cracking jokes and telling funny non-baseball stories about teammates, other players, etc. it seemed like he really was a happy-go-lucky guy and loved playing baseball
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers