Sad/Bizarre story- and it pertains to baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Sad/Bizarre story- and it pertains to baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sad/Bizarre story- and it pertains to baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:16 am

This man has serious, serious issues.

NY baseball fan killed mother as team lost: prosecutors
Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:07PM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York man has been charged with beating his mother to death with a barbell after losing his temper while watching a baseball game on television.

Michael Anthony, 25, was watching the New York Mets lose a game on Saturday from his home in the borough of Queens when he began furiously banging on the walls, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement on Monday.

His father Fred Fischman shouted at him to stop, but Anthony punched him in the face and threw him to the ground, according to the criminal charges.

When Anthony's mother, Maria Fischman, 61, tried to intervene, prosecutors said he stabbed her once in the head with a knife before chasing her into a bedroom where he struck her several times with the 20 pound (9 kilogram) barbell.

"It is difficult to imagine a crime more heinous than that of a son viciously attacking his parents and, in the process, fatally beating his mother to death," Brown said.

Anthony has been remanded in custody and faces a maximum of life in prison if convicted.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domestic ... 6220070730
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sad/Bizarre story- and it pertains to baseball

Postby cordscords » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:48 am

Theres got to be something more here. My guess is the guy had some serious $ on the game, and flipped out big time when he lost it all.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:48 am

Wow, that's sad. I can't believe anyone would go that extreme after one of there teams losing. I mean, you could be upset, but this guy obviously had problems. Even if he did have money on it, that's certainly no excuse. Sad to hear. :,-(
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 411)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:52 am

i expect a lawsuit against the mets for losing the game which caused him to lose his temper, if they hadn't lost his mother would still be alive today
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Danger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:16 am

Stories like this and Vick really make me cringe to know people like this exist in the world :-P
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:37 pm

I don't think it's that bizarre to hear fans support the team to the point where the fandom becomes compulsive obsession. I once knew a man who didn't want to talk to anyone for hours or even a day after the Dodgers lost. In this case, it seems to be obsessive fandom taken to another extreme. There probably has to be more behind the story, but whatever the case, it's a sad one.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby roninmedia » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:45 pm

AD is right, obsessive fan behavior is definitely not something that can be condoned, but it is ever present. In 2005. with Liverpool down 3-0 to AC Milan at halftime, a Liverpool fan hung himself in Istanbul. It is fine to "live and die" with the successes of your favorite team, but some fans take the term too literal. Those people are beyond fans, they're simply idiots.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:06 pm

roninmedia wrote:AD is right, obsessive fan behavior is definitely not something that can be condoned, but it is ever present. In 2005. with Liverpool down 3-0 to AC Milan at halftime, a Liverpool fan hung himself in Istanbul. It is fine to "live and die" with the successes of your favorite team, but some fans take the term too literal. Those people are beyond fans, they're simply idiots.

Man, that poor Liverpool fan must be kicking himself in purgatory, hell, or what-have-you...knowing that they stormed back to draw and win on PK's.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Return to General Talk