Kevin Garnett to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Kevin Garnett to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kevin Garnett to Boston?

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:22 am

What's with all the jealousy from the Raptors fans? Afraid they might lose their spot atop of the Division? :-b

The Celtics just gave up their future, but I guess that is fine with their fans. As someone already said, if they make it to the Finals, it was definitely worth it. If I were a Celtics fan, I would be loving this deal right now, but I'm not a Celtics fan, I'm a jealous fan and although Boston will probably make the playoffs, I don't think they can win it all or even go deep in the playoffs. 2 years down the road, I think a lot of people will regret this deal.

Kudos to the Boston fans, who got a heck of a player and will enjoy a winning season in 07/08. :-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:02 pm

lots of good points made so far. some wrong ones too. :-D

anyway, i think

1. art vandelay is right. this is a trade where ainge is just saving his job.

2. it's worth it if the team wins it all. if the team gets to the finals once or twice in the next 3-4 years, and that's it, then i don't think it was worth it. but maybe celtics fans will take anything at this point, even if it's 2nd place while giving up the future. (sorry if that sounds harsh, it's not intended to be.) al jefferson will be a perennial 20 10 guy for years to come. gerald green i'm not so sure about, but enough people are high on him for me to think he could maybe become something. if there was some way the celtics could have kept al jefferson, i think this deal would have been spectacular for the Cs (i know it was impossible, i'm just saying), and the Cs might even have had a chance at the title.

3. no way this team can win it all. the west is too strong. and even within the east, detroit and bulls will still give them some trouble. maybe the cavs too if lebron goes bucknuts again (which i don't think he can just do whenever he wants). i don't think miami will threaten in the east anymore. raptors probably won't be able to take them, but could give a battle. nets are not even worth talking about.

4. garnett ray and pierce's games do mesh well enough on paper. and they all do want to win more than anything. but then again, if they go on a losing streak, i could see someone start complaining about lack of touches (except garnett).

5. i don't think ray will just drop off the face of the earth this year. why this year? maybe he'll decline a little bit, who knows? but completely? so random.

6. garnett is still one of the best players in the game. seems like bosh is like a young garnett (i don't watch many toronto games so i'm not sure, but from what i have seen so far it appears that way), but garnett is still better.

i don't know. seems to me like it would've been better to keep al jefferson and gerald green, and trade pierce instead. al jefferson is not far away, in fact he may already be ready to be a star right now. and if pierce was gone, then gerald green could've been given a lot of playing time (and if he's as good as some predict, he might have given similar #s to pierce anyway - 20 5 4 or something). but then again, i guess once they got ray they had no choice but to go all the way.

well whatever. goodluck celtics fans. if anything, it'll make the celtics relevant and fun to watch for the next few years.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigken117 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:What's with all the jealousy from the Raptors fans? Afraid they might lose their spot atop of the Division? :-b

The Celtics just gave up their future, but I guess that is fine with their fans. As someone already said, if they make it to the Finals, it was definitely worth it. If I were a Celtics fan, I would be loving this deal right now, but I'm not a Celtics fan, I'm a jealous fan and although Boston will probably make the playoffs, I don't think they can win it all or even go deep in the playoffs. 2 years down the road, I think a lot of people will regret this deal.

Kudos to the Boston fans, who got a heck of a player and will enjoy a winning season in 07/08. :-)

Someone said something that mostly makes sense in this topic, finally. But how do you define "deep" in the playoffs? Finals? Conference finals? I don't think they'll have much trouble getting to the conference finals. Though the lack of depth could, and probably will, hurt them against a deep teams like Detroit in a short series. They'll get tooled by an elite West team and won't win a championship, but they will be fun to watch (for as long as Ray's ankles hold) even versus teams like Toronto ;-7
That said, I will miss Big Al :,-(

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:13 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:What's with all the jealousy from the Raptors fans? Afraid they might lose their spot atop of the Division? :-b

I've never said the Raptors would win the division this year. I think Boston and New Jersey are two capable teams that could quite easily do it. While Toronto did actually have a good team last year, they were very lucky to face such terrible teams in their own division, and it will be a good test for them in their road to become actual contenders.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:08 pm

You're kidding right? This was a terrible decision. In the history of bad decisions this ranks right up there with giving Tampa Bay a baseball franchise and making Big Pimpin a mod. %-6

O:-)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby thedude » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

You're kidding right? This was a terrible decision. In the history of bad decisions this ranks right up there with giving Tampa Bay a baseball franchise and making Big Pimpin a mod. %-6

Look at it realistically:

Yi
Jefferson
West
Wally's World
Gerald Green
Perkins
Rondo
Gomes
Powe
Purit
Telfair

How many rings could this group win, even five years from now? That is the team they would be going into the season with if they did not get Allen and KG

One minor star in Jefferson, two development projects in Yi and Gerald Green. They would have lost Pierce, who was going to demand a trade if they weren't going to contend.

That is awful. I suppose they could hope to get lucky in the lottery, but that is unlikely. The T-Wolves pick they traded was going to be a 2012 second rounder (due to how much protection it had), so that wasn't going to help.

They traded all that for KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen and a chance to compete.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:17 pm

Garnett out for the playoffs.

"It's not official that he's out for the entire playoffs, but it's official as far as I'm concerned," Rivers said yesterday. "I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it."

mweir145 wrote:Injuries would dreadfully cripple a team like Boston's where they have absolutely nobody good to back up their stars. A team like the Raptors on the other hand, probably wouldn't have a huge problem, and would be able to sustain their level until the players come back (like last year, when the team lost Bosh, Ford, Bargnani, and Garbajosa for extended periods of time over the course of the year, and still managed to have a 47 win season).

mweir = 1
Celtics = 0
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Garnett out for the playoffs.

"It's not official that he's out for the entire playoffs, but it's official as far as I'm concerned," Rivers said yesterday. "I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it."

mweir145 wrote:Injuries would dreadfully cripple a team like Boston's where they have absolutely nobody good to back up their stars. A team like the Raptors on the other hand, probably wouldn't have a huge problem, and would be able to sustain their level until the players come back (like last year, when the team lost Bosh, Ford, Bargnani, and Garbajosa for extended periods of time over the course of the year, and still managed to have a 47 win season).

mweir = 1
Celtics = 0

Huh? Didn't the Celtics win the championship last year? Doesn't that count for like 45?

And isn't mweir's argument basically that the Raptors are filled with a bunch of guys who are all slightly above average so it doesn't matter if one gets injured, because they have another?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:You're kidding right? This was a terrible decision. In the history of bad decisions this ranks right up there with giving Tampa Bay a baseball franchise and making Big Pimpin a mod. %-6

:-?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Garnett out for the playoffs.

mweir = 1
Celtics = 0

This has to be the worst post since....the one you quoted.

Matthias wrote:Huh? Didn't the Celtics win the championship last year? Doesn't that count for like 45?

And isn't mweir's argument basically that the Raptors are filled with a bunch of guys who are all slightly above average so it doesn't matter if one gets injured, because they have another?

Matthias 1
Mookie 0

On another note...

Bruins 3
Canadiens 0

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk