Kevin Garnett to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Kevin Garnett to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kevin Garnett to Boston?

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Word is the Celtics and T-Wolves are close to a deal sending KG to the C's. Various reports say the T-Wolves are getting Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and some are reporting Theo Ratliff and others are reporting Theo and a 1st rounder. After seeing LeBron tear up the Eastern Confrence this spring, I would say the Celtics are an immediate Eastern Conference Finals (at least) contender with KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kevin Garnett to Boston?

Postby Old_Style » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:13 pm

Theo Ratliff would most likely be involved in this deal because the salaries changing hands have to match.
If the Celtics land Garnett it would most definitely make them one of the top contenders in the East.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby statsman88 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:39 pm

It will be interesting as it looks like this will go through. The Celtics have totally revamped their lineup this year. They will now have Ray Allen, KG, and I'm guessing Paul Pierce will be a little more motivated to play in more games this year :-)
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CheeseBeger » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Well I've never followed the NBA, but I always liked Garnett and grew up a UConn fan. Maybe I'll have to give it a chance ;-D
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby statsman88 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:50 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:Well I've never followed the NBA, but I always liked Garnett and grew up a UConn fan. Maybe I'll have to give it a chance ;-D

the fantasy game is much better than watching the nba ;-D
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:55 pm

It's been a rough few years for the Celtics, but something like this would be incredible. The thought of getting KG before was awesome, but now that we have Ray Allen as well...incredible. I just hope they can spread the ball around enough that there aren't any ego problems. I guess I shouldn't worry about that until a deal actually goes down though.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:35 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:It's been a rough few years for the Celtics, but something like this would be incredible. The thought of getting KG before was awesome, but now that we have Ray Allen as well...incredible. I just hope they can spread the ball around enough that there aren't any ego problems. I guess I shouldn't worry about that until a deal actually goes down though.

the celtics are REALLY ruined their future. jefferson is a budding star and a double double machine. giving up him, green (a tmac clone!), 10 mill in an expiring contract (ratliff), and others for a 20-25 mil a season KG just isnt worth it for me. ray allen is coming off another surgery, and both pierce and kg seem to be declining/on their down swings. i thought the ray allen trade was silly for the c's and i think this one is too.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:06 pm

I'm getting more and more convinced Danny Ainge is an idiot every day. Trading his young core away, including Al Jefferson, who I think will be a great player in this league, is terrible. It's a move for the short term, obviously in an attempt to save his job, that isn't likely to achieve anything. Sure this may have made them one of the better teams in the East (and it's still a big maybe, who knows how those 3 will work out playing together), but what does that get you? A few rounds in the playoffs, a possible finals appearance? They aren't actually building anything there, now. It's like they are following the Toronto Maple Leafs guide to managing your team. Keeping your fans happy by seemingly making the effort in bringing in high-priced superstars, making the playoffs, but never really taking that next step.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:14 pm

Some of you dont follow Boston sports I take it. Ainge has told us of his plan from the beginning. Stockpile assests (Jefferson, Green, lottery picks) then trade those assests away for immediate impact. Could Jefferson turn into the next KG? Could Green turn into the next T-mac? Of course they could. But Pierce cant wait that long. And once those lottery balls went in the favor of the Blazers and the Sonics, Danny decided he needed to win now. No longer could he wait for these players to develop alongside Oden or Durant but he needed immediate help for Pierce. And by the way, Jefferson is a FA at the end of 08, according to an ESPN article.

Allen is coming off of bone spur surgery. Not exactly career threatening surgery. He will be ready to go by the start of the season. KG has 2-3 more seasons in him (at a high level) and so does Pierce. That trio alone makes them instant contenders in the Eastern conference where one man by himself took his team to the Finals. Now the C's are relevant in the East and are probably the favorites to go to the Finals.

Get on the bandwagon now. Its almost full. Its not going to be the same next yr in the Garden though. Those fans who went last yr were diehard fans. Not this yr. The bandwagoners will come out of hiding and all of a sudden be supporting this team. They werent there during this recent slide. They werent there in the 90's when they struggled with the likes of AC Green and Dino Radja. Its going to be similar to the Red Sox situation after they won the series in 04.

By the way, there is this other really cool site that they have here. Its called the Fantasy Basketball cafe. ;-D
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:19 pm

mweir145 wrote:I'm getting more and more convinced Danny Ainge is an idiot every day. Trading his young core away, including Al Jefferson, who I think will be a great player in this league, is terrible. It's a move for the short term, obviously in an attempt to save his job, that isn't likely to achieve anything. Sure this may have made them one of the better teams in the East (and it's still a big maybe, who knows how those 3 will work out playing together), but what does that get you? A few rounds in the playoffs, a possible finals appearance? They aren't actually building anything there, now. It's like they are following the Toronto Maple Leafs guide to managing your team. Keeping your fans happy by seemingly making the effort in bringing in high-priced superstars, making the playoffs, but never really taking that next step.

Read Bill Simmons on ESPN. Here are a few excerpts that might answer your questions:

Now here's where it gets really good: Pierce, Allen and Garnett happen to be wired the exact same way -- three ultracompetitive guys nearing the end of their primes who would sacrifice anything to play on a winner

That is the key point in all of this. People are complaining "there is only one ball blah blah blah". Look at these personalities. Do they strike you as the players that NEED the ball, especially this late in their careers. Pierce has gone on record as saying that he doesnt mind passing the entire game, as long as they WIN.

The question remains: If you're a Rockets fan, would you make that trade again? You had that Utah series tied 2-2 before blowing a nailbiter in Utah and losing Game 6 on a Stockton buzzer-beater. You were right there. Was it worth it? In my opinion, absolutely. The whole point of fielding an NBA team is to win a title -- if you have the chance, you have to try. Even if it means crossing your fingers with the likes of Matt Maloney.

Like Simmons said, might as well go for it. The trade pieces were there and the C's had the assets to attain them. Might as well go for it instead of waiting for the players to develop and mortgage Pierce's future.

From the beginning, Danny Ainge's stated game plan was to blow up a decent 2004 team, stockpile as many assets as possible, then eventually trade those assets for one or two impact guys

Exactly what I said earlier. Some people are unaware of "the plan".

I highly recommend you read it.

Enjoy

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070730
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Next

Return to General Talk