Dotel to Braves / Davies to Royals - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Dotel to Braves / Davies to Royals

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dotel to Braves / Davies to Royals

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:17 am

Danger wrote:Wickman will likely be done after this season anyways but now that Atl is turning into a real contender I'm wondering if Cox will have added pressure to unseat Wickman as the closer or at least let Dotel close on the road.

That's why I'm going to hold onto Dotel for a while - Wickman has had his share of struggles this year - I don't think he has that position locked down by any means. The problem is that Soriano and Gonzalez are also there - that's a lot of mouths to feed. With Dotel's contract, though, I can't imagine they brought him in top pitch in the 6-7th inning...
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Danger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:52 am

Slayer Rules wrote:
Danger wrote:Wickman will likely be done after this season anyways but now that Atl is turning into a real contender I'm wondering if Cox will have added pressure to unseat Wickman as the closer or at least let Dotel close on the road.

That's why I'm going to hold onto Dotel for a while - Wickman has had his share of struggles this year - I don't think he has that position locked down by any means. The problem is that Soriano and Gonzalez are also there - that's a lot of mouths to feed. With Dotel's contract, though, I can't imagine they brought him in top pitch in the 6-7th inning...

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Atl is going all in this year, giving up top prospects for a rental. Teixera is a Boras client so you know Atl is going to have to shell out big money to keep him next year which seems to leave little hope of them resigning Andruw as well. IMO, Wickman had a pretty firm stand with the job before the trades. Cox is loyal to him and he's being paid veteran closer money. However, with all these trades being done by Atl it's clear the front office wants a title this year and that might be the only thing to pressure Cox into removing Wickman. If that truly becomes the case then I would have to imagine Soriano would come into the picture as well...
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Dotel to Braves / Davies to Royals?

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:08 pm

Danger wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Atl is going all in this year, giving up top prospects for a rental. Teixera is a Boras client so you know Atl is going to have to shell out big money to keep him next year which seems to leave little hope of them resigning Andruw as well. IMO, Wickman had a pretty firm stand with the job before the trades. Cox is loyal to him and he's being paid veteran closer money. However, with all these trades being done by Atl it's clear the front office wants a title this year and that might be the only thing to pressure Cox into removing Wickman. If that truly becomes the case then I would have to imagine Soriano would come into the picture as well...

Well, Teixeira's not a rental. We have him for a year and a half. Also, in the Tex deal, the 2 best prospects we gave up were at stacked positions for us. I'm a little annoyed at giving up Harrison, but that's not too bad....

And I don't know if Kyle Davies is a top prospect. He's 23, but he's struggled a ton so far this year.....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Danger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Danger wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Atl is going all in this year, giving up top prospects for a rental. Teixera is a Boras client so you know Atl is going to have to shell out big money to keep him next year which seems to leave little hope of them resigning Andruw as well. IMO, Wickman had a pretty firm stand with the job before the trades. Cox is loyal to him and he's being paid veteran closer money. However, with all these trades being done by Atl it's clear the front office wants a title this year and that might be the only thing to pressure Cox into removing Wickman. If that truly becomes the case then I would have to imagine Soriano would come into the picture as well...

Well, Teixeira's not a rental. We have him for a year and a half. Also, in the Tex deal, the 2 best prospects we gave up were at stacked positions for us. I'm a little annoyed at giving up Harrison, but that's not too bad....

And I don't know if Kyle Davies is a top prospect. He's 23, but he's struggled a ton so far this year.....

I believe Teix is only signed through 07? And yah when I said prospects I meant the prospects in the Teix deal alone, not Davies, the prospect that never came to be.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BTOWNHESS » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:37 pm

Tex is not a rental.

Yes he is only signed through 07 but he is only arbitration eligible next season, so the Braves will still have his rights until after the 08 Season is over.

Andruw Jones contract comes off the books at the end of this year and they will not resign him. So does Wickmans. Then Renteria will be gone next season.

On top of all of that free money new ownership has already stated that Shuerholz can up the payroll from the Time Warner limit in the 80 million range.

So they will have plenty of money to sign Tex long term even if Boras does take him onto the market in the winter of 08.

P.S. Tex went to school at Georgia Tech so he obviously prefers to stay in the area.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AdvRider » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:54 am

Danger wrote: IMO, Wickman had a pretty firm stand with the job before the trades. Cox is loyal to him and he's being paid veteran closer money. However, with all these trades being done by Atl it's clear the front office wants a title this year and that might be the only thing to pressure Cox into removing Wickman.

Good observation. Cox has indeed seemed unduly loyal to Wickman. I'm a Dotel owner and will hang on & see what happens, at least until another viable closer shows up on the WW (ala Baltimore's Walker). FOX Sports had a good analysis of the situation, esp the Dotel/Soriano angle:

Dotel bolsters Atlanta's rotation significantly and is insurance as a potential closer if Bob Wickman continues his recent struggles.

Already age 38, Wickman has blown two of his last five save chances and is showing signs of wearing down. In addition, he's compiled high ERAs of 6.52 in June and 4.35 in July.

Dotel will also be competing with Rafael Soriano for save chances if Wickman falters. Soriano became the closer when Wickman landed on the DL in early May, but he's only converted 5-of-8 save chances this season and lacks the experience of Dotel.

For now, current owners of Dotel will see his fantasy decline with his likely move from closer to reliever.

However, both Dotel and Wickman are free agents after this season, leaving Soriano as the possible closer for next season
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates