Gagne traded to the Red Sox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gagne traded to the Red Sox?

Postby ScrappyDoo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:09 pm

They say pitching wins championships.

Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling, Wakefield, Lester

Okajima, Gagne, Papelbon

That is pretty intimidating.

All the Sox have to do is take a lead to the 7th. After that its lights out.

Boston has a good chance at pulling off a triple championship, (unlikely but possible)

Has a city ever won 3 of the 4 major championships in a calender year. Even though hockey is barely a sport nowadays.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hot4tx » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:13 pm

If that's the deal, I hope Gagne veto's it. If Daniels does this kind of bonehead move just because he's up against a deadline, other MLB GMs will smell blood pretty quickly. I'd rather hold on to Gagne for the season and keep the rep that you won't bend over a barrel when things get tough. Crap!

:-t Way to go John-boy!
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Old_Style » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:13 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Boston has a good chance at pulling off a triple championship, (unlikely but possible)

Don't kid yourself.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:15 pm

hot4tx wrote:If that's the deal, I hope Gagne veto's it. If Daniels does this kind of bonehead move just because he's up against a deadline, other MLB GMs will smell blood pretty quickly. I'd rather hold on to Gagne for the season and keep the rep that you won't bend over a barrel when things get tough. Crap!

Wow, why are you so down on it? What good is Gagne to a last place team who won't pony up the money to sign him next year? Why do you think it's such a bad deal? A groundball pitcher with good control seems like a welcome change in my mind.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby GrubNasty » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:20 pm

hot4tx wrote:If that's the deal, I hope Gagne veto's it. If Daniels does this kind of bonehead move just because he's up against a deadline, other MLB GMs will smell blood pretty quickly. I'd rather hold on to Gagne for the season and keep the rep that you won't bend over a barrel when things get tough. Crap!

Well, im glad we got rid of gagne. At least the rangers are getting back Something. With boras as his agent, i dont see how we could afford to keep him next year. Let some other team overpay for him?
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thedude » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:20 pm

slomo007 wrote:

Wow, why are you so down on it? What good is Gagne to a last place team who won't pony up the money to sign him next year? Why do you think it's such a bad deal? A groundball pitcher with good control seems like a welcome change in my mind.

Beltre is worth the risk.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:21 pm

Mostly because it went from Manny Delcarmen to a #4/#5 SP type. Now if Kason Gabbard is something, that's one thing. If he's another Cam Loe, Tejeda, etc type we're stocked on those. I don't buy into "something for nothing" idea. Again if you can play hard ball with Daniels and get him to cave into taking much less than originally discussed, he'll be useless as a GM because everyone will just low-ball him and wait for him to choose which crappy trade he takes. The price of your reputation might be more than a #4/5 SP, a #4 OF and a kid that just became legal to drive.

Needless to say I don't have a lot of faith in the guy who traded away Chris Young and Danks.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Re: Gagne traded to the Red Sox or Yankees?

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:23 pm

jbauer2485 wrote:
The Red Sox are on the verge of winning the Eric Gagne sweepstakes, pending his approval and a review of his medical records, according to major-league sources.

Gagne must waive his no-trade clause to Boston for the deal to be completed. It is possible the Red Sox will allow him to share the closer's role with Jonathan Papelbon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7072074

What a ridiculous bullpen if he goes to Boston. 8-o

This is what I was talking about. This isn't going to happen is it?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby GrubNasty » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:34 pm

hot4tx wrote:Mostly because it went from Manny Delcarmen to a #4/#5 SP type. Now if Kason Gabbard is something, that's one thing. If he's another Cam Loe, Tejeda, etc type we're stocked on those. I don't buy into "something for nothing" idea. Again if you can play hard ball with Daniels and get him to cave into taking much less than originally discussed, he'll be useless as a GM because everyone will just low-ball him and wait for him to choose which crappy trade he takes. The price of your reputation might be more than a #4/5 SP, a #4 OF and a kid that just became legal to drive.

Needless to say I don't have a lot of faith in the guy who traded away Chris Young and Danks.

I dont think dealing gagne ranks up there with getting rid of chris young. I guess i dont see the upside in passing on a final offer and having kept gagne.
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers