Keeper Penalty Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper Penalty Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Penalty Question

Postby 123inningplz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:42 pm

I'm commissioner for a keeper league and I need some objective feedback as to how I should handle keepers. Initially, I wanted to penalize people for drafting high (and vice-versa, reward people for drafting sleepers low). So, say you drafted Soriano in the 1st round and kept him this year, you'd forfeit your 1st round pick next year. This shouldn't be a problem since most people would keep the first 5-6 round picks anyway, right? But, here's the crux (and we only figured out this nasty scenario after the draft and ratifcation of the constitution): what if you trade for a player drafted in the same round as one of your keepers? Like ARod and Pujols? Do you lose your 1st and 2nd round picks? That didn't seem to fair to me since others would be losing their 2nd round pick for lesser players. What if you have a 2nd round keeper too? Does it keep cascading down so that Pujols is worth forfeiting a 7th round pick? I know other leagues penalize managers in a similar fashion (it's where I got the idea) so I just want to know how other's have done this and how I should do it. Thanks!
123inningplz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Penalty Question

Postby mak1277 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Here's how we handle it. If you have to push a guy down, you lose another draft pick later in the draft also.

An example:

A-Rod and Pujols were both drafted in the first round, and you want to keep both. A-Rod would cost you your first round pick, and Pujols would cost your second. Since Pujols was "pushed down" from round 1 to round 2, you would also lose a 10th round pick as well.

This year, I had to push down three guys as a result of trades, so I ended up losing picks 1,2,3,4,9,10 and 11 just to keep four players.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Re: Keeper Penalty Question

Postby talan37 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:59 pm

A couple of ways i guess-

You can not allow them to keep two guys from the same round, or you can push rounds, or as the previous poster suggested you can push with a later round thrown in.

I personally think just straight pushing isn't fair for the reasons you stated. Finding a proper value for a push round and a later round is tough though, in the instance you suggsted by the above, to keep Arod you would need to.
Give away a 2nd, and a 10th round pick as he suggested. Except in a 6man keeper league that 10th round pick is the equivalent of a 16th round pick, and I hardly think thats fair either.(in a 12 man, that 16th round pick is for #192-208, and anyone wouldn't take that for arod is crazy).

Have a long discussion with your league mates and come to a decision, its not something that should be decided by 1 person.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner