So what is salty's value now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So what is salty's value now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: So what is salty's value now?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:40 pm

yeah, you're right, the jury is still out on #4. A lot of people are already assuming he's just gonna go to Texas and be a solid hitter, but as you say his major-league track record so far doesn't give any indication that he will do that necessarily.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyeWhiskey » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:20 pm

I've owned Salthy in a 12-team H2H league for a while now, I dropped Molina for him at least a month ago. I can tell you from daily experience that in ATL he did not play everyday with 3-6 ABs. His stint in ATL was not a major-league audition where he failed to perform. My original comments on Salty in another thread were that I'd rather have an above-average catcher who didn't play everyday but still contributed to my team than a mediocre catcher who played everyday and hurt my team. That is how I saw Salty's value at the time. Now I'm really excited because I believe his avg will climb back above .300 with a moderate increase in RBIs. Good stuff from a guy so young at your C position. I rank him behind Posada now:
Martin/VMart
Mauer
McCann
Piazza
Posada
Salty
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:52 pm

FWIW (which I'll get to in a minute), Matthew Berry just called Salty a "top ten catcher in AL only leagues and a solid pickup in two catcher leagues."

I say Matthew Berry is an idiot. Perhaps no one noticed how terribly thin the catcher position is this year. Before this trade there were no more than 7 or 8 catchers with ANY trade value, and 4 or 5 more that owners had been forced to use because there simply weren't enough "real" options to go around.

Salty doesn't have to tear up the world to crack the top 10 at the catcher position overall. He merely needs to get regular at bats.

He is easily top ten overall in mixed leagues... hence a TERRIBLE understatement by Matthew Berry, the UNtalented Mr. Roto.

As others have mentioned, the talent seriously levels off after the top 7 so even if you drop Estrada, Doumit, or some other joker, you're not hurting yourself in the unlikely event that they get snagged off of waivers, which they probably won't anyway.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:01 pm

Behrens's take is much better

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C/1B, (soon to be officially) Texas Rangers
He'll certainly see more at bats here than he did in Atlanta. Saltalamacchia figures to be a nearly everyday player in Texas, and, according to the team's website, "He is expected to play first base for the Rangers but will also get some time behind the plate." Saltalamacchia is an obvious mixed-league add; there are a bunch of replacement-level fantasy catchers who can be safely fired. The 22-year-old Saltalamacchia was hitting .284 for Atlanta, and he'd been hitting .309/.404/.617 at Double-A earlier this season. He's also shown modest power in the minors.

-Andy Behrens, Rotoarcade.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Knights » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:53 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:I can tell you from daily experience that in ATL he did not play everyday with 3-6 ABs.

The entire month of July he played just about every day, and there's a lot of 3s and 4s in the AB column... http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/793 ... 2a3WeFCLcF

And it was in that period in July where his numbers were brutal... http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/793 ... hQsmGFCLcF
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby Irish » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:14 pm

Being in Atlanta, I've seen Salty play a good amount and he was definitely getting more regular playing time, but nothing about him screams GO GET THIS GUY NOW!

I think he will be a Johnny Estrada type player with a higher ceiling, but i see a solid average with decent, but not great numbers as a #6 (?) hitter in the Texas line-up, which isn't too strong. I think his defense was another reason for alot of the hype in real life and has translated a little bit over-the-top in fantasy terms, even though that aspect of his game won't show up in a box score.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Oatsdad » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:24 pm

I think the Salty bandwagon is a little crazy. I thought about dropping Doumit for him in my 2-catcher league but one look at Salty's recent numbers showed that this just didn't make sense. Will he prosper in TX? Maybe, but I think people are going a little too bonkers...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:11 pm

Oatsdad wrote:I think the Salty bandwagon is a little crazy. I thought about dropping Doumit for him in my 2-catcher league but one look at Salty's recent numbers showed that this just didn't make sense. Will he prosper in TX? Maybe, but I think people are going a little too bonkers...

Ok, let's make it simple then.

If you don't have one of the top 6 catchers, you are getting this kind of monthly line from your catcher:

8 Rs, 2 HRs, 8 RBIs with a .265 avg

With Salty, the ceiling is much much much much much higher.

Even if he bombs, you've lost nothing, because the top talent at catcher is SOOOOOOO shallow this year. It levels off big at around number 8.

Salty at least has a chance to be good and his floor really isn't any lower than any other Joe Schmoe you might be using.

That said, I think he's top 10 right now, on potential alone. Ryan Doumit is absolutely less valuable right now. That's a laughable comparison IMO.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:30 pm

Doumit hasn't really done jack, yet he is the object of so many man-crushes. I don't get it.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tecmobowl12 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:32 am

Yeah I haven't jumped on the wagon quite yet because of his terrible July batting average, which was worse than Johjima's if that's even possible. I'm currently on the fence between him and Piazza. I may pick the rookie up just because he'd be more fun to root for. Although I feel like rooting for Piazza a little bit now since he gets water bottles thrown at his face. That being said, if my current catcher was Ryan Doumit, I would curse myself, and then go pickup Salty asap :-b
tecmobowl12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers