So what is salty's value now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So what is salty's value now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: So what is salty's value now?

Postby houstonoilers » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:24 pm

Salty playing first base with minimal risk compared to catcher. No brainer for some of your questions.

My order

VMart
McCann
Mauer
Posada
Salty
Martin
Johima
Varitek
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:31 pm

martin has arguably been the best catcher so far this year, how could you possibly have salty ahead of him??

ive been churning catchers for awhile but stashed piazza a few weeks ago. hes been great since returning, but i picked up salty anyway. piazza and salty are around the same value id think.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckbillgates » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:51 pm

OK, I'm trying to understand this. Saltalamacchia was getting his fair share of starts between 1B and backing up McCann, so why has his stock suddenly skyrocketed?

I own him, and I still think everyone needs to calm down.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:59 pm

I just held onto Estrada while still picking up Salty off waivers, just planning to treat the next two weeks like his audition for the job on my fantasy team. If you have the roster room to do something like this, I think that's the way to go about it. The previous poster is right, there's no reason to get too wound up and expect him to go on some kind of tear, but then again he might benefit from the change of scenery and the bigger role. It's just that trying to predict that right now is somewhat impossible.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Field » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:17 pm

duckbillgates wrote:OK, I'm trying to understand this. Saltalamacchia was getting his fair share of starts between 1B and backing up McCann, so why has his stock suddenly skyrocketed?

It pretty much boils down to upside potential and the ballpark.

In 10-12 team leagues, you can definitely afford to drop a player like Johjima, Hernandez or Molina for Salty because:

A) They probably won't be picked up

B) If they are, you could probably pick up a serviceable C even if Salty doesn't pan out.

Salty will, at worst, put up similar numbers to other middle-tier catchers from here on out with the potential to possibly be a top 5 C the remainder of the year.

I can only think of 6 catchers I would not drop for Salty: Mauer, Martinez, Martin, McCann, Piazza, or Posada
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby ccsammy21 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:37 am

Field wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:OK, I'm trying to understand this. Saltalamacchia was getting his fair share of starts between 1B and backing up McCann, so why has his stock suddenly skyrocketed?

It pretty much boils down to upside potential and the ballpark.

In 10-12 team leagues, you can definitely afford to drop a player like Johjima, Hernandez or Molina for Salty because:

B) If they are, you could probably pick up a serviceable C even if Salty doesn't pan out.

Salty will, at worst, put up similar numbers to other middle-tier catchers from here on out with the potential to possibly be a top 5 C the remainder of the year.

I can only think of 6 catchers I would not drop for Salty: Mauer, Martinez, Martin, McCann, Piazza, or Posada

Well said.
Cubs 09
ccsammy21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Knights » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:47 am

I'm going to backtrack on my comments made earlier after looking more closely at the numbers.

His stats don't jump off the page, other than his BA in May and June. R, HR, RBI are nothing special.

Moreso, he only has 1 R and 2 RBI in the month of July, with a BA of .228, while playing full time between C and 1B and getting 4, 5, and sometimes 6 AB per game.

I'll admit, I've initally kinda of fell into the 'hype' from the move to Texas... so my question is, is it worth it? What is it that makes this kid so special this season, despite what his numbers are shown? I saw the previous post about the ball park and all... but there's people saying that Teix's value will go up by getting into the Atlanta offence instead of Texas, so why is everyone so high on Salty in the Texas offence?

Really, is Saltalamacchia going to be that valuable in non-keeper leagues this year?
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:54 am

Here's a few reasons people are worked up about Saltalamacchia in spite of those numbers.

1) Good catchers are hard to find, so when someone has an ounce of potential people tend to get more excited.

2) Switch from NL neutral park to AL hitter's park.

3) Salty may be able to focus more if he's not being continually switched between C & 1B and being yanked around in one of Bobby Cox's rotating platoons.

4) Before July he was hitting pretty well, albeit in limited duty.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ursa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:27 am

Field wrote:In 10-12 team leagues, you can definitely afford to drop a player like Johjima, Hernandez or Molina for Salty because:

Johjima shows as #8 catcher in terms of fantasy points in my 10 teamer this year. I think he would be picked up pronto. That said, Salty should be an upgrade.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Knights » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:27 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Here's a few reasons people are worked up about Saltalamacchia in spite of those numbers.

1) Good catchers are hard to find, so when someone has an ounce of potential people tend to get more excited.

2) Switch from NL neutral park to AL hitter's park.

3) Salty may be able to focus more if he's not being continually switched between C & 1B and being yanked around in one of Bobby Cox's rotating platoons.

4) Before July he was hitting pretty well, albeit in limited duty.

#1 I can agree with and understand... as with #2

#3 I guess we'll see, that one's hard to say

#4 is what I'm not sold on, and it's the most important in my mind. He was hitting well when he wasn't playing everyday, and then once he started playing everday his numbers bombed... not a good sign as he moves to Texas and a guaranteed everyday role.

I'd love to see Salty pick up the numbers because I could use decent numbers from a C-eligible player, like you said in #1, but I'm not sure if this is the guy to do it... not in non-keepers anyway. Keepers may be a different story.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers