Baseball Tonight. Stinks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Tonight. Stinks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Tonight. Stinks.

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:25 am

I usually just duck in to watch the game highlights and hit the mute button otherwise - I'll have a book or magazine and glance up occasionally to see when they get back to the highlights. I try to ignore the commentary as much as possible.

I used to be a huge fan in the Harold Reynolds days.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sfgiantsfan8291 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:31 am

I haven't watched it nearly as much since they fired Harold. I will sometimes watch it for highlights/updates, but if i want scores i just go to the internet. Its a shame that ESPN had gone downhill so much :-/
sfgiantsfan8291
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:32 am

Yoda wrote:ESPN = garbage... Disney ruined this once awesome network.

Totally agree. I now only watch ESPN for actual sporting events now. Even then I often mute it.

I feel like ESPN used to cater to the hardcore fan, whereas now they cater to 12 year olds (or at least people with the attention spans of 12 year olds). I actually wonder how much my desires as a fan have changed versus how much ESPN has actually changed. I tend to think they have dumbed down more than I have wised up.

Same goes for their website. Used to be the only place I went for sports news. Now it's about 4th or 5th down the line.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby speedy27 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:13 pm

agreed. since Harold Reynolds got canned the show has gone south.

they should swallow their pride and bring him back!
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:04 pm

The annoying this is, the only guy they lost is HR. The rest of the good analysts are there; ESPN just doesn't use them. The decent guys are: Orel (only to talk about pitching though), Kurkjian, Olney, and Gammons. I know Gammons is doing his thing now, but it seems that they could use 2 of the Kurkjian/Olney/Hershiser group every night, with Gammons working 2 or 3 days a week to fill in for whoever.... Kruk coudl be the backup guy when they need a fill-in. He has enough presence and is funny enough, and better than the other bums ESPN has hired this season....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:04 pm

The annoying this is, the only guy they lost is HR. The rest of the good analysts are there; ESPN just doesn't use them. The decent guys are: Orel (only to talk about pitching though), Kurkjian, Olney, and Gammons. I know Gammons is doing his thing now, but it seems that they could use 2 of the Kurkjian/Olney/Hershiser group every night, with Gammons working 2 or 3 days a week to fill in for whoever.... Kruk coudl be the backup guy when they need a fill-in. He has enough presence and is funny enough, and better than the other bums ESPN has hired this season....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby tgalv » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:05 pm

some of the guys are awful but i still like the show. i'm not exactly planning my day around watching baseball tonight, but if it's on i'd rather watch it than any of the other crap on tv. i really like hershiser, kruk, and gammons of course. buster olney, kurkjian, and steve phillips are alright in my book.

the b-list team of anyone other than ravech and the guys who can barely stammer out a sentence are just brutal though.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hett2333 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:07 pm

Lets not forget ESPN hired Tino Martinez last year. The guy was by far the worst analyst in sports history...I have never heard a guy sound so nervous/monotoned in my life. I got more pleasure out of watching reruns of Full House over listening to this guy. Does ESPN even audition these guys or do they just throw them out there because they figure since they played baseball they have to be good on television.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:its awful. kruk used to be the crazy guy with the wild ideas that you kind of laughed at. now he's the smart one, and he didnt get any smarter.

funny...but sad and true.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:48 pm

chargerss24 wrote:Yeah, Baseball tonight sucks now since Harold Reynolds left. He was great for the show, since he got canned, I don't watch it at all anymore. In fact, ESPN isn't even the most "Now" (What a joke that is! %-6 ) on my list of channels to watch.

Only shows I watch on ESPN anymore are PTI and Around the Horn which are good. If I want scores and highlights anymore, I'll tune in to ESPN news.

I agree. BT is a joke. With all these so called experts that don't know a thing. I like Orel, and Tim and that's about it. I'm at work, so I never get to watch BT anymore, but I'm ok with that. ESPN is a joke!! The Who's Now thing is the dumbest thing on TV!! I cringe everytime they start playing that music!! :-t
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers