I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:21 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
daullaz wrote:What's life without a little luck involved? Geez, if you guys are like this with your recreational games, I hate to see you otherwise.

:-B :-D

This is going to sound really conceited, but honestly, I hate when luck is invovled, because I honestly think that in most (obviously not all) of the matchups I'm in, I am confident that I am the better fantasy player. Less luck, means higher chance the better player wins, so low luck is the way I like it.

I don't know how you categorize luck, but shoot, if you're in first place in 2 H2H leagues, second in 1 H2H, and third in another H2H...all the while finishing no worse than 5th in your H2H career headed into this year and having won the whole enchilada in 60% of them...then you're doing something right. :-D

The way I see it, H2H and roto present different challenges; it doesn't necessarily make one format better than the other per se. Just by the week-by-week nature of H2H, it's easy to discredit some results as being attributed to luck, but the fun therein lies in the unpredictability of it all, especially in the playoffs...essentially, it's a fun test to see if your team - like in the real world playoffs - can come through in "do or die" situations. In roto, the team that appears to be the best balanced or the best valued all around is likely to take the competition. This can be deflating, if by June/July, you know you can't make up much ground in your most crucial categories, but the inherent fun in that is you're in it for the full marathon effect of the season.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jimbo OZ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:50 am

I personally prefer to play the H2H format because at the beginning of each week you have the chance of competing afresh. Each Monday both teams start on 0-0 - it doesn't matter if you are coming first or last in your league.

I also like the fact that there are playoffs. In our league there are 6 teams who make the playoffs. Currently there are 8 teams (out of 14) who can make those playoffs. This means the league is still competitive with trade deals being offered and competition for FAs and waivers.

I play roto as well but in the league I am in only 2 teams can possibly win and the 2nd team really only has a slim chance. Because roto is a first past the post competition, many of the managers of the teams who have no chance of winning become inactive.

Could you imagine if real baseball didn't have playoffs and awarded the trophy to the team with the best record? Well, the Braves would be 10.5 games back and probably wouldn't be trading for Tex. The Cards would not have a World Series ring from 06.
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JTWood » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:40 am

Jimbo OZ wrote:Could you imagine if real baseball didn't have playoffs and awarded the trophy to the team with the best record? The Cards would not have a World Series ring from 06.

And they would have one from '04. :-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby rainman23 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:25 pm

If you're awarding H2H victories for each category (not just one win/loss for the week) then your cumulative record at the end of 22 weeks is a pretty good barameter of how good you are. If you're in a cash league, and you slant your payoffs towards the regular season, then those guys who dominated in the regular season are going to receive their due. Luck is only a big factor in H2H if you construct your league that way.

I like Roto, but if I did it exclusively I would miss the weekly care and feeding that a H2H team requires. If you believe you are a talented fantasy baseball manager then H2H provides a challenge that Roto cannot. It's a much more hands-on format.

Playoffs rule. I love the idea that after having a successful regular season, I have a whole other series of challenges in September. And the fact that I can't take winning those short series for granted is what it's all about. Playoffs would not be so pervasive in every sport and league if all they consistently did was reaffirm what the regular season has already told us. The drama of a short series (call it luck if you want) is an entirely different experience than the marathon of the regular season. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd pick the marathon. But with H2H I can have both, and that's what I really love about it.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:34 pm

Since 2001 in my $$$ H2H league I finished:
2001 2nd
2002 3rd
2003 1st
2004 1st
2005 1st
2006 8th
2007 1st so far

Outside of 2006 which was a disaster having drafted Vmart, Sheets, Pedro, Bonds with my top 6 picks, I've been near the top every year. I play with the same owners every year so luck doesn't play into it nearly as much as people are claiming.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:05 pm

Yoda wrote:Since 2001 in my $$$ H2H league I finished:
2001 2nd
2002 3rd
2003 1st
2004 1st
2005 1st
2006 8th
2007 1st so far

Outside of 2006 which was a disaster having drafted Vmart, Sheets, Pedro, Bonds with my top 6 picks, I've been near the top every year. I play with the same owners every year so luck doesn't play into it nearly as much as people are claiming.

Were those your regular season results or where you finished in the playoffs? There's no question that it takes a lot more than luck to get a good playoff seed in H2H... my biggest beef is that all that hard work during the regular season can go up in smoke when a crappy team comes along and has one great week to knock you out in Round 1 if the playoffs are not structured properly. If the playoffs are structured in a such a way to give byes to the top teams, give higher seeds some built-in advantage in each matchup (e.g. win all category/match tiebreakers), and have the matchups last two weeks (to remove some of the luck element), then I don't have as much of a problem with it. That's just not how a lot of the leagues I've been in have been structured and I've gotten screwed too often. :-)
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby RyanK » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:12 pm

I started playing fantasy sports on Sandbox, and I just grew use to playing h2h points for hockey, football, and baseball, because it had a similar set up for every sport. Being a kid that was easiest and kept me involved in all of them, then when sandbox went pay i stopped playing fantasy baseball because i didnt like the set up of whatever site i played on the year after (maybe yahoo?).

Then i found the football cafe, which led to the baseball cafe and then to JTs league and its my only baseball league right now, my team has been, unlucky, but as of two weeks ago i still had an outside shot at making the playoffs, which got shot down by a 4 point loss that week, to the second highest scoring team that week at that, not that im bitter or anything.

Some reason roto just doesnt intrest me, its definatly an older aged attraction.
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby rainman23 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:50 pm

I just don't understand the attitude that post-season play is bad because the best team doesn't always win. Sports without upsets are...I don't know...physics? Without that element of uncertainty what in the hell is the point?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:16 am

rainman23 wrote:I just don't understand the attitude that post-season play is bad because the best team doesn't always win. Sports without upsets are...I don't know...physics? Without that element of uncertainty what in the hell is the point?

I love it. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers