I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!!

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:06 am

H2H is the best especially when you are in a league with a group of friends. You actually have to manage your team daily and your decision can significantly affect the outcome. For instance, I was winning 6-3, tied in WHIP last week. I decided to roll the dice and go for the win on WHIP by starting Sabathia, Izzy, Nathan while benching Kazmir, Capps, Al Reyes. All three combined for a micro WHIP which helped me get a 7-3.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 am

Yoda wrote:H2H is the best especially when you are in a league with a group of friends. You actually have to manage your team daily and your decision can significantly affect the outcome. For instance, I was winning 6-3, tied in WHIP last week. I decided to roll the dice and go for the win on WHIP by starting Sabathia, Izzy, Nathan while benching Kazmir, Capps, Al Reyes. All three combined for a micro WHIP which helped me get a 7-3.

The three key words in that sentence: "roll the dice". 'Nuf said.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby daullaz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:11 pm

What's life without a little luck involved? Geez, if you guys are like this with your recreational games, I hate to see you otherwise.

:-B :-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:07 pm

daullaz wrote:What's life without a little luck involved? Geez, if you guys are like this with your recreational games, I hate to see you otherwise.

This is going to sound really conceited, but honestly, I hate when luck is invovled, because I honestly think that in most (obviously not all) of the matchups I'm in, I am confident that I am the better fantasy player. Less luck, means higher chance the better player wins, so low luck is the way I like it.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:15 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Yoda wrote:H2H is the best especially when you are in a league with a group of friends. You actually have to manage your team daily and your decision can significantly affect the outcome. For instance, I was winning 6-3, tied in WHIP last week. I decided to roll the dice and go for the win on WHIP by starting Sabathia, Izzy, Nathan while benching Kazmir, Capps, Al Reyes. All three combined for a micro WHIP which helped me get a 7-3.

The three key words in that sentence: "roll the dice". 'Nuf said.

Well it wasn't just roll the dice even though that is what I posted. I looked into CC's splits against each Minnie batter as well as his home numbers. There are a lot more tinkering you need to do in H2H versus roto. Roto, you just collect the best players and hope for the best. H2H, you actually have to make lineup decisions and who you are facing each week. It's a lot more involved and I like that.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dbstrat » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:52 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
dbstrat wrote:I would never play H2H for money. When I play for money, I want luck to have as little as possible to do with it.

Myths and lies! If you do it properly, H2H is not one big, monkey-humping, luckfest, as a certain Madmin around here calls it.

The most important way to undo the luck factor in the post-season is to have two-week long matchups. That virtually eliminates the random two-start pitcher, and it definitely subdues the impact of a hitter that goes off for a couple of days. If your team can't win a two-week matchup, you weren't the better team, plain and simple.

We do two-week matchups for both the 2nd round (Div Champ) and the 3rd round (League Champ) when money is on the line.

;-D

I'm sure it reduces the luck factor slightly, but you are so wrong on a 2 week period being sufficient to declare one team better than the other. Do you know how many times in my fantasy career that almost my whole team has slumped for a couple of weeks or a month straight and then gotten hot for just as long? Baseball is a game of streaks.

I'll happily play H2H when no money is on the line, and for simple entertainment value and excitement between friends, I would tend to agree that it is more fun. If I'm competing and trying to win the cashola, I don't want a week or two of good or bad luck to decide who gets the money. Period.
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dbstrat » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:53 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Well, you can argue that, and I respect and buy into it, although roto can have drama of its own. Last year, I won the league by a half a point, because I started 6 spot starts on the last day to gain 5 points in K's and 2 points in wins on the last day to win it. Meanwhile, the team that was in last at the all star break had the lead in the entire league with a week left in the year to get 3rd, losing overall by 1.5 pts...not too bad for drama.

;-D
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby interchange » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:58 pm

Both are good. I like H2H because you don't need a complete team to win. There can be a lot of interesting teams out there. It's more matchup oriented.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:06 pm

H2H emulates an actual baseball season much better than roto. Roto emulates the stock market relying much more on buying and selling whereas h2h is more about building a team with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

I don't like the idea of being in 4th place or even 3rd and having no shot to win it all. That just isn't a very good emulation of sports and that's the main allure of playing fantasy baseball. Luck plays a part in the playoffs in reality why shouldn't it in fantasy?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:06 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
daullaz wrote:What's life without a little luck involved? Geez, if you guys are like this with your recreational games, I hate to see you otherwise.

This is going to sound really conceited, but honestly, I hate when luck is invovled, because I honestly think that in most (obviously not all) of the matchups I'm in, I am confident that I am the better fantasy player. Less luck, means higher chance the better player wins, so low luck is the way I like it.

This is the core of the H2H vs Roto argument. At the end of the day it comes down to how much luck can you handle? Thats obviously for each person to decide. One way that my money H2H league "eliminates" the luck is we do greater payouts to the regular season leaders. There really isn't as much luck over the course of 22 weeks. Yeah individual matchups might skew one way or another but you definately have to be a good manager to be in the hunt when it comes down to the end.
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers