I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!!

Postby JTWood » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:42 pm

Two weeks left before the playoffs start, and there is all sorts of action going on in my league.

In my division, the top team suffered a defeat at the hands of the second-worst team in the league last week. Then this week, they clawed their way back into their matchup against the 3rd-place team only to lose at the last second. As a result, they have slipped to a tie for first place. The next two teams are also tied at one game back, which means one little game separates the top-four teams in a division where only the top three make the playoffs. The team that was formerly in first place has to play the 3rd-place team next week and then finishes up against the team they are currently tied with. That's drama.

But the other division isn't without its own drama. In a preview of what could be the Divisional Championship, the top-two teams squared off in a battle royale. They put up the highest and second-highest point totals for the week. In the end, the second-place team, the team that led the matchup from Monday to Saturday, lost by only a handful of points as the first-place team mounted a hefty Sunday comeback. Meanwhile, the 3rd- and 4th-place teams in that same division duked it out for 7 days with similar results. The 4th-place team led by a large margin coming into today only to see their playoffs hopes dashed as the 3rd-place team jumped ahead by literally a couple of points compliments of Chone Figgins in the last game of the night.

I don't care what you say, roto's got nothing on that. :-° ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Love H2H (2007 Ed)!!!

Postby daullaz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:20 am

Didn't even mention my game, that I pulled out in the last second against an already-eliminated team to stay alive in the playoff race (I'm one of the teams tied for third in the first division). I started Dontrelle this week and survived the roller coaster of emotions watching him pitch last night. He did well enough to get me back in the game, even though he didn't get the win. Then when it looked like all was lost, Andruw Jones and Russell Martin homer in the late afternoon to give me the lead for good. I was on the edge of my seat watching literally every at-bat on Sunday.

We might have to go down to third tie-breakers (total points scored) to see who makes the playoffs. It's going to kill me when I'm left out.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:46 am

For the time I've played fantasy baseball, H2H has been my game. I think that it's so much more exciting than roto, but that's just me. I love the match ups against other teams every week, and changing your strategy depending on how the week arises. H2H playoffs is especially exciting. Obviously, like many people, I hate the fact that there's so much luck involved in it. You could have the best team in H2H and easily lose early in the playoffs. If you don't have the best team you can easily win by your players just being on a roll for the last few weeks of the season. Disappointing for the better team, but I think it's more fun.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Postby BritSox » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:16 am

At the start of last week, there were two teams 0.5 games back of the team in the last playoff spot in the H2HWS England North, and one team 1.5 back.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:42 am

BritSox wrote:At the start of last week, there were two teams 0.5 games back of the team in the last playoff spot in the H2HWS England North, and one team 1.5 back.

H2HWS New York isn't quite as close, but still has the 2nd Place team 1.5 back, with 3rd trailing the leader (me) by only 2 games.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby dbstrat » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:46 am

I would never play H2H for money. When I play for money, I want luck to have as little as possible to do with it.
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stupidgreen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:01 am

As the giant killer from 3rd place, I had a slight edge over the #1 team going into Sunday with three starts coming up against his none. Bonderman, Jennings, and Marcum. Should have been open and shut.

oops.
stupidgreen
College Coach
College Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:27 am

Well, you can argue that, and I respect and buy into it, although roto can have drama of its own. Last year, I won the league by a half a point, because I started 6 spot starts on the last day to gain 5 points in K's and 2 points in wins on the last day to win it. Meanwhile, the team that was in last at the all star break had the lead in the entire league with a week left in the year to get 3rd, losing overall by 1.5 pts...not too bad for drama.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:33 am

I won't knock either types of leagues. I play in both each year and I like both.

If I did have to choose only 1 style it would be Roto though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:34 am

dbstrat wrote:I would never play H2H for money. When I play for money, I want luck to have as little as possible to do with it.

Myths and lies! If you do it properly, H2H is not one big, monkey-humping, luckfest, as a certain Madmin around here calls it.

The most important way to undo the luck factor in the post-season is to have two-week long matchups. That virtually eliminates the random two-start pitcher, and it definitely subdues the impact of a hitter that goes off for a couple of days. If your team can't win a two-week matchup, you weren't the better team, plain and simple.

We do two-week matchups for both the 2nd round (Div Champ) and the 3rd round (League Champ) when money is on the line.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers