Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:My biggest issue with fantasy baseball is the double starts for pitchers. I could have studs going and my opponent will have crappy pitchers but I lose cause his pitchers were all doubles. Take out the double pitchers and fantasy baseball would be better.

What do you mean? We have a set number of starts each team can make 5-8 per week. As long as you play in a good league that is set up correctly then these little issues do not matter.

Not only that, but over the course of a season, it all averages out. You may lose a cat one week because your opponent has a double start and win one next week because of it. It's a wash.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Biohazard1454 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks guys for all of your input.

Contrary to what some people here think, playing fantasy sports is not chess. The "skill" ceiling in fantasy sports is nowhere near as high as some people claim it is. If a player experiences success time and time again, the odds are pretty good that the leagues they're in aren't very good.

I like this. I agree it's not rocket science, but at least with baseball you can employ some strategy (skill) to the game. Not so much with football. I mean look around the internet for strategy for fantasy football...what do you get? All it really amounts to is draft strategy. Once you get past that, there really isn't much to do. For baseball at least you can have multiple strategies, like a Middle relief strategy, punting a category, or say streaming pitchers. Different people can do different things to win a league, something like chess. Not that it takes the years to master fantasy baseball like chess, but at least there is some kind of skill involved.

If you are playing in a league with experienced veterans and everybody spends as much time researching and studying as you do, luck is a MUCH bigger factor.

I also liked this and have been thinking about it lately. My thoughts are that it's not necessarily luck that gets you into say the top 3 of your league...but luck does play a big role in winning your league. I think guys who have a lot of skill in fantasy baseball, don't always win their league (due to luck) but their skill gives them at least the opportunity to win it.

It's really kind of funny, because I started out playing fantasy football. I really enjoyed it, and still do, but it's different. After you play fantasy baseball, it really makes fantasy football seem something like filling out a march madness bracket. Yes sometimes knowledge helps, but most of the time luck wins it. After playing baseball it's really taken away the some of the coolness of football. But I will say that the week to week excitement of football is much better. As I think about it now though, the feeling of winning a championship in baseball seems so much sweeter than winning a championship in football.

I guess all things considered, they are two different games. Thanks to the poster who linked a similar discussion in the football site. Thanks everyone for your comments and I mean this literally when I say GOOD LUCK to those who are playing fantasy football this year. May you not go out in the first round of the playoffs to an inferior team. Or if you do....don't break anything :)
Biohazard1454
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:48 am

I remember at this time last year, I had absolutely no preparation for the upcoming fantasy football year. Late August entering drafts, all I did was skim a couple of mock drafts. I won a few leagues thanks to two letters: LT. Easy.

Right now, like last year, I'm not prepared for the football season (i.e. I just found out Willis McGahee starts for the Ravens just yesterday ready) and so, right back at square one. :-b

I don't know, I just don't find football that enjoyable a game, let alone fantasy football, but that's just me. ;-) I love fantasy baseball for the preparation and extra challenge that comes with it. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby josebach » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:53 am

The Artful Dodger wrote: (i.e. I just found out Willis McGahee starts for the Ravens just yesterday ready) and so, right back at square one. :-b

Whoa, really? I didn't know that either. A few years ago, I would spend 40+ hours researching easily. I've come to realize that the point of diminishing returns isn't anywhere near as high as I used to think it was. Now, I'll spend about 10 or 12 hours or so total and even then, I only research AFTER I know my draft position.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:31 pm

josebach wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: (i.e. I just found out Willis McGahee starts for the Ravens just yesterday ready) and so, right back at square one. :-b

Whoa, really? I didn't know that either. A few years ago, I would spend 40+ hours researching easily. I've come to realize that the point of diminishing returns isn't anywhere near as high as I used to think it was. Now, I'll spend about 10 or 12 hours or so total and even then, I only research AFTER I know my draft position.

Yeah I guess it makes sense for the Bills, though their supreme confidence in Marshawn Lynch is somewhat alarming, but unless they bulked up their offensive line, Lynch will run into the same problems McGahee did. Good talent he is though. Makes more sense for the Ravens to have McGahee to get a younger, speedier version of Jamal Lewis, who they ditched for him to go to the Brownies.

I just perused through a fantasy football magazine at Borders yesterday and found out about all this. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:33 pm

More flips of the coin, more chances the odds come out to what they should be.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/co ... ners_N.htm

This article involves a study that states "the baseball season, at a mere 162 games, is too short. Instead, the number of games that would keep a lucky-but-lousy team from dethroning a statistically superior team is 265." It also states "to ensure that the best Major League Baseball team wins, a longer World Series, say 11 games, would be mathematically appropriate."

Simple enough. Fantasy football has the best chance for lucky-but-lousy to dethrone a statistically superior team, next is Head-to-Head Fantasy Baseball all the way to Rotisserie. Of course luck diminishes as the statistic significance of your team's superiority compared to your opponent increases. The same holds true for real life leagues.

If you're complaining about a certain fantasy style because you lose, consider playing a different game. Football is the worst with his schedule that even horrid teams like the 2001 Patriots beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. But fans move on and accept the validity of the results. Same with March Madness. Accept whatever amount of luck is involved in a league, do your best to win, accept defeat when it comes and just remember to have fun.

AD, visit the FFC more often. They don't bite.
Last edited by roninmedia on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:40 pm

Omaha Red Sox at some point in time wrote:As sports, I prefer football to baseball, largely because of the reasons chad stated. There are more variables that come into play in a football game. Everyone has to be on the same page and everything has to go right for a play to work.

As fantasy, I prefer baseball slightly over football. Most fantasy players, myself included, love stats. There are far more stats in baseball than there are in football. You can basically look at 2 stats in football to tell their value. Yards and TDs. In baseball, you can have a guy hit 40 HRs and have 110 RBIs, but his BA could suck. You can have a guy have 120 Rs and 50 SBs, but his HRs and RBI numbers could be horrible. There are different types of players at the various different positions. While the same is true for football, it's not even close to the extent that it is at baseball.

Rosters are much larger in baseball and that is another reason why it can be more fun than football. More players to watch. There are 162 games in baseball as opposed to only 17 in football. More games to watch.

However, these people that claim football is a joke compared to baseball because of the 17 games compared to 162 games apparently haven't been caught up to speed on the differences of the game. News Flash: Football is a contact sport. Baseball is not. There is a reason why football players get a week's rest between games and baseball players play every day. Football is more physically taxing. I love baseball, but there are far too many players who take it easy during games and treat it like a job instead of a sport. In football, you'd be killed if you did that. It's 100% all the time in football (unless you're Randy Moss). It's only 100% in baseball when you're a pitcher, you're a baserunner like Sizemore or Freel, you're stealing a base, or you're an outfielder running down a fly ball. There are other examples I know, but the fact that I can actually categorically put them down speaks volumes for the differences. You can't do that with football. As soon as that ball is snapped there's no jogging. That's why I prefer football, as a sport, over baseball.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:03 pm

roninmedia wrote:AD, visit the FFC more often. They don't bite.

I rarely visit the light side just because I'm lazy. :-b Not one of my primary destinations on the web to visit each day, but their GT seems to be more active than ours here. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Biohazard1454 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:16 pm

However, these people that claim football is a joke compared to baseball because of the 17 games compared to 162 games apparently haven't been caught up to speed on the differences of the game.

I totally agree here. I don't want to make it sound like I don't like the sport of football at all. I'm from Oklahoma and graduated from the University of Oklahoma (and I'm still there in Grad School for football tickets of course :)) so I love football. Actually I can't wait for the start of college football (the players report for practice this week :) )and of course NFL. I do like baseball as a whole better, but I get more excited about the football than anything (if you can understand that).

If you're complaining about a certain fantasy style because you lose, consider playing a different game. Football is the worst with his schedule that even horrid teams like the 2001 Patriots beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. But fans move on and accept the validity of the results. Same with March Madness. Accept whatever amount of luck is involved in a league, do your best to win, accept defeat when it comes and just remember to have fun.

Well to address this, I'm not complaining because I lose...I was just stating my opinion of a debate that I've had with one of my friends. I really do enjoy playing fantasy football, but my enthusiasm has diminished a little after playing baseball because of the luck involved. I think more than anything, I've learned in the last year exactly what you stated ..."Accept whatever amount of luck is involved, do your best to win, accept defeat when it comes, and just remember to have fun." Thanks!
Biohazard1454
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:25 am

Luck is involved with all factasy sports but I would love for someone to tell me how playing FF isn't more luck oriented than FB. It is for a bunch of reasons. 1 player can also dominate FF and win your league for you. The same cannot be said for FB. If you had LT last season, by mistake, you had to at least make the finals. If you had Pujols, for example, you weren't guaranteed anything.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk