Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:03 am

Madison wrote:
knapplc wrote:Real answer?

Roto has drastically less luck involved than either of the sports in H2H. If we're talking H2H baseball, there's a ton of luck involved.

You guessed it. I was talking H2H. I only ever play H2H - the couple of roto leagues I've been in didn't interest me.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:06 am

BritSox wrote:Those picking football seem to do so either because they like the sport better (fair enough) or haven't the patience for baseball.

I would guess that's about 90% of it. Some guys are just "football guys" and some are just "baseball guys." I like both, but it's about 60/40 in favor of football. I have more "luck" in fantasy baseball, though.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby SJNez46 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:53 am

IT is true that roto has a lot less luck than H2H. It always bugs me when I get beat, for example, this week in my H2H league, MY opponent beat me 15 catagories to 12. I looked at the guy beneath me (in stattracker), who totally kicked his opponents butt, and compared his stats to mine. If I were going against him H2H I would have beaten him by a lot. So it really depends on your opponent. You could have a great week, but lose because you are playing a great, but you could also have a really bad week, but win beacuase you play a bad team. I am lucky this next week, because I am playing the worst team by far.
^ Thanks a ton to Big Pimpin for the sig.^
My Sigs http://www.freewebs.com/sjnez46/sjnez46ssiggallery.htm
SJNez46
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics ExpertWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:14 am

The "Luck factor" is completely dependent on how good the other players in your league are. If you are playing in a league with experienced veterans and everybody spends as much time researching and studying as you do, luck is a MUCH bigger factor. This is true in both football and baseball. Even so, I still believe there is much more luck involved in fantasy football. A poor fantasy football player can still win a league full of skilled players if they draft a breakout player like LT2 was last year. A poor fantasy baseball player, on the other hand, has almost no shot at winning a league full of skilled players. As Knapp said, you are starting twice the players in baseball than you are in football which means that each player's impact on your baseball team is roughly half that of your football team. You might get a few lucky picks, but that luck alone won't carry you through a 162 game season.

Contrary to what some people here think, playing fantasy sports is not chess. The "skill" ceiling in fantasy sports is nowhere near as high as some people claim it is. If a player experiences success time and time again, the odds are pretty good that the leagues they're in aren't very good.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:21 am

josebach wrote:Contrary to what some people here think, playing fantasy sports is not chess. The "skill" ceiling in fantasy sports is nowhere near as high as some people claim it is. If a player experiences success time and time again, the odds are pretty good that the leagues they're in aren't very good.

Agreed!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Howie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:09 am

The only way ill play football h2h is if there is no playoffs. Just 17 straight weeks of h2h. That eliminates some of the randomness of the football playoffs. Baseball h2h playoffs can be random/lucky too, but i still play them because i like the fact that you still get a week of games (as opposed to just one day of games like in football, where absolutely anything can happen and any crappy team can get lucky) to determine the champion.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:56 am

I've played both for years and football just doesn't compare to baseball for me. Football is more laid back and not as much research needs to go into it. Some people would prefer just enjoying the games and not needing to spend hours reading up on news and research.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:49 pm

My biggest issue with fantasy baseball is the double starts for pitchers. I could have studs going and my opponent will have crappy pitchers but I lose cause his pitchers were all doubles. Take out the double pitchers and fantasy baseball would be better.
SeaWolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:02 pm

As far as football is concerned, I agree with:
At the Football Cafe on 7/26 Azrael wrote:It takes skill to consistently make the playoffs. It takes luck to win a championship.
dream_017
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

CafeholicFootball ModLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:30 pm

SeaWolf wrote:My biggest issue with fantasy baseball is the double starts for pitchers. I could have studs going and my opponent will have crappy pitchers but I lose cause his pitchers were all doubles. Take out the double pitchers and fantasy baseball would be better.

What do you mean? We have a set number of starts each team can make 5-8 per week. As long as you play in a good league that is set up correctly then these little issues do not matter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk