Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Postby Biohazard1454 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:25 pm

So I've been debating with a friend of mine about fantasy baseball and fantasy football and I would love to hear others opinion on this subject.

So I feel that in baseball the amount of luck is drastically reduced due to the amount of games played. After playing fantasy baseball (5x5 league) , I really get annoyed by fantasy football because really when you get outside of the draft there isn't any skill involved. You could have the best team and still lose in the first round of the playoffs. In baseball, you have many strategies that you can employ during the season to help accomplish a championship...which you really can't do in football. Plus if one guy gets hurt in football, you are basically done. Not so much in baseball. So I believe that there is much more skill involved in winning a championship in baseball rather than football.

My friend of course thinks that the skill/luck involved in both games is roughly the same.

Anyways, again I would like to hear you comments on the game from those who play both.
Biohazard1454
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Postby Dislexic Irishman » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:44 pm

As you said, baseball is more skill / in depth and football is more luck. Baseball, you have prospects to consider and it seems like there are a good amount of players having breakout years every year in baseball. Football, everyone knows just about every player. Rookies rarely make a fantasy impact and you almost have to just get lucky in the draft to win.
Dislexic Irishman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:59 pm

Fantasy football is all about grabbing running backs in the first couple of rounds and praying that they stay healthy. Well there is more to it than that, but as much as baseball. You don't have to pay attention to stud prospects getting called up, and in season trades which affect playing time. You don't have worry about when to take pitchers and when to take batters. Fantasy baseball is more hands on after the draft imo.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby cordscords » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:20 pm

So much luck is involved in FF it's not even funny. Just look at the bust rate amongst 1st rounders.

Typical FF draft last year:

1. LJ
2. SA
3. LT
4. Portis
5. Barber
6. Edge
7. Rudi
8. Jackson
9. Jordan
10. Brown
11. Cadillac
12. McGahee
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:29 am

I am shocked - SHOCKED I SAY!!! - that posing this question on a fantasy baseball board would elicit pro-baseball replies.

A feather just wafted into my office on a gentle breeze. Plum knocked me over, it did. ;-7

Real answer? There is luck in all fantasy sports. There is more room for luck in "standard" fantasy football simply because there are typically less player/positions. With the smaller player pool comes greater emphasis per player. It's as simple as that. IDP leagues that have owners draft and manage individual defensive players have less of a luck factor and more closely mirror fantasy baseball because of this.

Real-life luck stories, in both sports:

It's 2006. I have the best team, hands down, in my money league in football. I lose in the first round of the playoffs - out of the money - because seven of my nine starters had a bad week. That's bad luck.

Still in 2006. I have a decent team in my money baseball league. Another guy in my league has THE BEST team, hands down. I beat him in the finals because he scores - in the Finals, mind you - HALF the points he usually scored throughout the season. That's good luck.

I should have won my football league and I should not have won my baseball league. It worked exactly the opposite.

That's not skill, that's luck.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cordscords » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:58 am

knapplc wrote:I am shocked - SHOCKED I SAY!!! - that posing this question on a fantasy baseball board would elicit pro-baseball replies.

A feather just wafted into my office on a gentle breeze. Plum knocked me over, it did. ;-7

Real answer? There is luck in all fantasy sports. There is more room for luck in "standard" fantasy football simply because there are typically less player/positions. With the smaller player pool comes greater emphasis per player. It's as simple as that. IDP leagues that have owners draft and manage individual defensive players have less of a luck factor and more closely mirror fantasy baseball because of this.

Real-life luck stories, in both sports:

It's 2006. I have the best team, hands down, in my money league in football. I lose in the first round of the playoffs - out of the money - because seven of my nine starters had a bad week. That's bad luck.

Still in 2006. I have a decent team in my money baseball league. Another guy in my league has THE BEST team, hands down. I beat him in the finals because he scores - in the Finals, mind you - HALF the points he usually scored throughout the season. That's good luck.

I should have won my football league and I should not have won my baseball league. It worked exactly the opposite.

That's not skill, that's luck.

Of course it's luck. It sounds like a stupid H2H league to me. :-b
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:05 am

knapplc wrote:A feather just wafted into my office on a gentle breeze. Plum knocked me over, it did. ;-7

Lightweight. O:-)

:-b

knapplc wrote:Real answer?

Roto has drastically less luck involved than either of the sports in H2H. If we're talking H2H baseball, there's a ton of luck involved.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Danger » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:21 am

In H2H, it's not about who has the best team, it's about who's team is riding a hot streak going into playoffs.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:27 am

Here's a thread that was made on this topic a while ago on the football side of the cafe, and here's the same topic posted on this side, obviously with different views. ;-D I've never played fantasy football my self, but 16, or whatever number of weeks it is, isn't enough for me. I love the longer season. (o)
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby BritSox » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:20 am

Those picking football seem to do so either because they like the sport better (fair enough) or haven't the patience for baseball.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Next

Return to General Talk