Zumaya Updates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Zumaya Updates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zumaya Updates

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:24 am

I've been waiting a long time for this guy to come back and I'm keeping a close eye on his progress. Looks like some rehab starts are in his near future. Post any updates here if you see any before me. :-D

Yahoo wrote:Jul 27 The Associated Press reports Detroit Tigers RP Joel Zumaya (finger) feels his finger is fully healthy. He plans to throw off a mound two more times before trying to throw as hard as he can.

Yahoo wrote:Jul 27 Zumaya said his sprained right finger is completely healthy.
Advice: Zumaya, who has been out since May 3, has thrown off the mound twice. "It's a long process. It ain't easy," he said. "The finger is fully healed. It's just I lost a lot of strength in my shoulder and elbow the two months I was off." Zumaya plans on throwing off the mound a few more times before likely making a rehab stint.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Zumaya Updates

Postby kid sox » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:04 pm

Everything I have heard points to a mid September return...best case.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby x_Momentum » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:59 pm

I heard Detroit's going out on the market looking for pitchers to strength their bullpen. Anyone know more about that?
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:00 am

For what it`s worth:

CBS SportsLine
(Updated 07/26/2007)
Tigers RP Joel Zumaya is nearing a return. Zumaya, who has been out since May 3 with a sprained right middle finger, has thrown off a mound twice and said his finger is completely healthy. "It's a long process. It ain't easy," he said. "The finger is fully healed. It's just I lost a lot of strength in my shoulder and elbow the two months I was off." Zumaya plans on throwing off a mound two more times before "trying to cut it loose."

FANTASY ANALYSIS
Zumaya's wicked stuff and strikeout rate make him a viable middle reliever for any Fantasy league. He could return sometime in August, so track his progress in the coming weeks.
.....ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day. ...
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:15 am

x_Momentum wrote:I heard Detroit's going out on the market looking for pitchers to strength their bullpen. Anyone know more about that?

they've been talking about this locally for about a month is, problem is, there really isnt much help out there, at least not for a price the Tigers want to pay
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:18 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
x_Momentum wrote:I heard Detroit's going out on the market looking for pitchers to strength their bullpen. Anyone know more about that?

they've been talking about this locally for about a month is, problem is, there really isnt much help out there, at least not for a price the Tigers want to pay

Gagne is out there. Is he out of the Tigers budget?
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:53 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Gagne is out there. Is he out of the Tigers budget?

from what i've heard he only wants to come here if he can close, and i'm not sure the Tigers would remove Jones for him...no question Gagne is better (if healthy) but i want no part of Jones coming on in the 7th or 8th, especially if there's already men on base

also, it's rumored they want Maybin for him :-t
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:36 am

Yahoo wrote:Aug 16 Zumaya (finger) pitched a 1-2-3 inning in his second rehab appearance Wednesday, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Recommendation: Zumaya threw seven pitches, six of which were strikes. He clocked as high as 99 mph on the radar gun with an average of 96 mph on five fastballs. Zumaya has one more rehab appearance on Saturday and will likely be activated from the disabled list early next week.

:-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby StringerBell » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:02 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Yahoo wrote:Aug 16 Zumaya (finger) pitched a 1-2-3 inning in his second rehab appearance Wednesday, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Recommendation: Zumaya threw seven pitches, six of which were strikes. He clocked as high as 99 mph on the radar gun with an average of 96 mph on five fastballs. Zumaya has one more rehab appearance on Saturday and will likely be activated from the disabled list early next week.

:-D

heh, heh, heh , heh.............

I`m starting to feel all diaboloical again........
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tigers2006 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:51 pm

This is all from what I have heard and watched from Tigers Weekly, pre-game, etc:

A week ago, around August 9-10, Zumaya was throwing fastballs around 100 mph again. He was going to try and throw some curveballs soon. So, it sounds like if his finger can withstand curveballs (which he hasn't throw any of since he has been out), he will be back soon. During games, I have seen him high-fiving with his right hand, too, so I'm guessing that is a good sign!

As for Todd Jones - he IS the Tigers closer for the rest of this season. Even if he puts runners on base, he still records saves and makes WAY too much money for the Tigers to have him in middle relief. I'm sure you'll read articles saying the same things as I have said.

Anyway, that from a Tigers fan that hears/sees tidbits on TV.

P.S. They BETTER not give away Cameron Maybin %-6
Tigers2006
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates