Latest on Aaron Harang - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Latest on Aaron Harang

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Latest on Aaron Harang

Postby Roberto Clemente » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:59 am

I have Aaron Harang on my roster and he has been pitching really, really well of late.

He left after 1 Inning tonight versus the Cubbies. Info has been sparse so far, but I found the below copy and paste on the Cincy Nation website. Link here http://sports.excite.com/news/07282007/v5504.html to aforementioned article.

>>"I couldn't finish my pitches," said Harang, who felt his back stiffen on his second throw to catcher David Ross before going into the bullpen to warm up before the game. "The pitch to Lee was supposed to be a sinker in, but it stayed flat."

Harang (10-3), who will be reevaluated on Sunday, had won his last five decisions since losing at Cleveland on May 20. Left-hander Mike Gosling replaced him.<<

Also I found this link http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070728&content_id=2115049&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin to the official site of the Reds and it gives us a bit more info and quotes.

>>CINCINNATI -- Aaron Harang entered his start on Saturday night against the Cubs ranked first in the National League in strikeouts and second in innings pitched.
Both rankings will most likely take a hit after lower back stiffness drove the Reds ace off the mound after just one (strikeout-less) inning in Cincinnati's 8-1 loss to Chicago at Great American Ball Park.

Harang said the stiffness in his back flattened the action on his pitches and sapped him of much of his movement and velocity. After giving up a one-out, two-run home run to Derrek Lee in the top of the first on a sinker that didn't sink, Harang worked his way out of the frame and headed straight for the home clubhouse.

Harang said he felt the tightness in his back after his second throw during pregame warmups with catcher David Ross, but had hoped to be rid of it after loosening up further.

"I thought it was just something, you know, maybe once I get loose, I'll be able to pitch through it," Harang said. "I started going out in the bullpen, came up here [to the clubhouse], got adjusted really quick before the game. It's one of those things that's better safe than sorry."<<
Roberto Clemente
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Latest on Aaron Harang

Postby PokeyReesePOTUS » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:20 pm

on the cubs game, they just said it was announced that there is no structural damage. i assume that means he won't miss the season.
PokeyReesePOTUS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby superslugger616 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Via Sportsline:
News: Reds ace Aaron Harang will miss his next scheduled turn in Cincinnati's rotation because of a sore lower back. Harang (10-3), who has won his last five decisions, said his back stiffened on his second warmup toss to catcher David Ross before he went into the bullpen to warm up for Saturday's game. He faced five batters, getting three to fly out but walking Ryan Theriot and giving up a two-run homer to Derrek Lee. "They thought it was better to take me out rather than take a chance on hurting my arm," said Harang, who's back has bothered him before, but never enough to keep him from pitching. "Hopefully, it's just one of those 48-hour tweaks."
Analysis: An MRI exam Sunday didn't find any structural damage, team spokesman Rob Butcher said. Harang, who was scheduled to start against the Nationals on Thursday, won't travel with the team to Washington. He might pitching in the following three-game series against the Pirates. Since his status for Fantasy Week 18 (July 30-Aug. 5) is up in the air, consider benching Harang for the upcoming scoring period. When healthy, he is a solid Fantasy option in all formats.
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am

:-o
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MarqueeENT » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:38 am

Dang, I just picked this guy up too :-C
MarqueeENT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby charliebrown2 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:21 pm

MarqueeENT wrote:Dang, I just picked this guy up too :-C

wow, harang was a FA???
charliebrown2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nyrblue2 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:17 am

While not the greatest new, it could be worse. There's nothing wrong with a couple extra days rest, considering he's been eating innings lately. H2H leagues should still get a start by him on the weekend (possibly according to the above report) and roto leagues just get it pushed back a couple days. Harang is a beast, I think he'll pull through fine...

...I hope
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Injuries & Player Updates