Will Wigginton be a full time starter in Houston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Will Wigginton be a full time starter in Houston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Wigginton be a full time starter in Houston?

Postby dlw23 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:17 pm

Picked him up yesterday to fill in for Utley. I don't know much about the IF situation in Houston.
Will he be a full time player there?
dlw23
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will Wigginton be a full time starter in Houston?

Postby smoovethug » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:33 pm

rotoworld wrote:While they praised his versatility, the Astros indicated they see Ty Wigginton as their primary third baseman going forward.

They might as well just release Morgan Ensberg then. Ensberg has been playing strictly against lefties lately, but Wigginton will inherit that role now and start against most righties apparently. Unless trade, Mike Lamb will likely see more time at first, with Lance Berkman moving back and forth between there and right field. The Astros might choose to cut Lamb's at-bats if they're willing to commit to Wigginton at third. After all, Lamb is a free agent at season's end and Wigginton is signed through 2009.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby avstars » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:32 pm

Well I would rather have Wiggy in the lineup than Ensberg, so we'll see.
avstars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TEAM MVP » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:34 pm

maybe loretta might get traded...dunno. but, he prolly will, cause it would make it dumb to trade a good reliever(hes not terrible, just bad year) for someone that wont even start...i mean, since they didnt get minor leaguers for wheeler, they gotta use what they got, ya know?
TEAM MVP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BklynsFinest » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:46 am

when should we expect to see Wiggy in the lineup? I doubt he will be playing today...right?
BklynsFinest
College Coach
College Coach

Postby djack909 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:48 pm

Comment during the Mets game was that Houston will be shopping Loretta, Ensburg, and Lamb immediately. Also, they said Jennings was showcased today (11 ER 0.2 IN) So after that showcase disaster, I doubt they will showcase their other 3Bmen. I think Wiggy is a fixture in Houstons line-up
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:19 pm

BklynsFinest wrote:when should we expect to see Wiggy in the lineup? I doubt he will be playing today...right?

Starting at third today, hitting fifth.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby AdvRider » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:49 am

Sounds like this pretty much cements Wiggy at 3B.

BTW -- is Chris Duncan still STL 1B/OF, or did he take a job as an AP sportswriter ??? :-?

Astros designate Ensberg for assignment
By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
July 29, 2007
HOUSTON (AP) -- One day after acquiring Ty Wigginton in a trade with Tampa Bay, the Houston Astros designated struggling third baseman Morgan Ensberg for assignment on Sunday.

Houston also recalled left-hander Mark McLemore to fill the roster spot vacated when reliever Dan Wheeler was sent to the Devil Rays in Saturday's trade.

The 31-year-old Ensberg was hitting .232 with eight homers and 31 RBIs in 85 games. That was far off the pace from his All-Star season in 2005, when he hit .283 with 36 homers and 101 RBIs and helped Houston reach its only World Series.

Ensberg was never the same after tearing a tendon in his right shoulder diving for a foul ball on June 9, 2006. He spent a month on the disabled list, then came back in August and finished the season with a career-low .235 average and only 58 RBIs.

Houston is responsible for the remainder of Ensberg's $4.35 million salary this season. The Astros drafted Ensberg in 1998.

"You never know why players' performances change," general manager Tim Purpura said. "This year, there have been no issues from a physical point of view that I'm aware of. Sometimes, a change of scenery helps a guy, to get him in a better frame of mind. I think this guy, in a different environment, is going to go off and return to form."

MORE http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates