Prince Fielder..Where have you gone? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prince Fielder..Where have you gone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prince Fielder..Where have you gone?

Postby kemper5 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:20 pm

Could Prince Fielder be a 2nd half bust who ends up with a 35-38 HR's, 95-98 RBI, .270 Ave after doing so great from April to end of June.. In July he's had only 3 HR's and 9 RBI's in 23 games. I hate to say this because I own him, but it looks like he's falling flat on his face and run out of gas. Yes there are 2 months left, but if he comes close to what he pulled in July he may be a huge dissapointment after he was on pace for 58 HR's and 140 RBI's coming into July.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Prince Fielder..Where have you gone?

Postby Morrison8312 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Yeah to be honest with ya I only have him in a 20 team dynasty league so it was really tough for me to deal him. If it was a redraft league I probably would of dealt him easily.
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby schmidty » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:10 pm

I feel the pain too. I was so confident in him I turned down some good trade offers, believing that he was the 06 Ryan Howard of 07. You just got used to May/June homers, and maybe I got a little complacent in my team thinking I had a 50-60 HR guy, when I only had a 35-45 HR guy.

Still, despite the HRs, runs, and RBIs being down his rate stats aren't bad for July: 0.282 AVG, 0.371 OBP, 0.513 SLG, 0.884 OPS. His K rate is even down a little from earlier months. If that's a "down" month, I'll take it. We know his pedigree ... I think we can pretty confident he's a legit masher. I'm not ready to write him down as a late-season fader just yet (though last year his Aug and Sept was pretty miserable)
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Jesus...EVERY player in baseball goes through a patch where they don't hit as well or pitch as well...I'd sit back and enjoy the 40+, 110+ RBI guy that didn't require a fairly early pick.

But sometimes you do have to sell high if you're getting outstanding offers for players...I LOVE Ryan Braun, but if i was to get two studs for him, I'd probably say bye-bye Braun in a NON-keeper league.

Just my opinion, but I think that Prince's long term value rests in his ability to shed some weight...he'll be bigger then Cecil ever was.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Oriole Way » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:31 pm

Seriously... it's amazing how people whine like little girls when power hitters slump for a few weeks. It happens to everyone. His pace was unsustainable, you should have enjoyed it while it lasted. There's still a good chance he can go on another run again. Calm down.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby seniorpaul » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:45 pm

Prince hasn't had much protection in the lineup. With Estrada/Jenkins/Mench hitting in the 5 hole, Prince is being pitched to differently. Hopefully, BIlly Hall can get hot and Prince will see some better pitches.

And like others have said, it's not like he's sucking. His BA is better over the last month than for the season.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Oriole Way wrote:Seriously... it's amazing how people whine like little girls when power hitters slump for a few weeks. It happens to everyone. His pace was unsustainable, you should have enjoyed it while it lasted. There's still a good chance he can go on another run again. Calm down.

He seemed pretty calm to me.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby byfrcp » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:38 pm

Prince fell off at the end of last year and could fall off at the end of this year as well. Fact of the matter is, he's not in very good shape. He's a big dude, and a lot of that "big-ness" is jiggly. It's a long season and I imagine he gets worn down.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:48 pm

I think he's getting tired. If he lost a few, okay more than few, I think it might help his endurance over a 165 game stretch.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby toledomudhens » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:51 pm

HR DURBY JINX.....LOL ;-D
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 200)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers