Guess who is close to coming back? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Guess who is close to coming back?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Guess who is close to coming back?

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 am

Kerry Wood... pitched back to back games and slated to come off the DL in the next week or two. Could he possibly take over as the closer?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Guess who is close to coming back?

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:54 am

Maybe long term, but not this season. All talk around Chicago is that he will first be the 5th or 6th inning guy. After he gets some confidence back, then he'll be a Bob Howry type...main RHP in the 7th and 8th innings. In terms of closing, I'd say he is behind Howry AND Marmol...
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby Rounders » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:Maybe long term, but not this season. All talk around Chicago is that he will first be the 5th or 6th inning guy. After he gets some confidence back, then he'll be a Bob Howry type...main RHP in the 7th and 8th innings. In terms of closing, I'd say he is behind Howry AND Marmol...

Yup, that's what I've been hearing on the radio. Also, no one knows exactly how close he is. What Steve Stone was saying is that they'll want to leave him in the minors until gets through his "dead arm" period that pitchers experience when in spring training. And he does still have a slight tear in the rotator cuff (he chose to rehab it rather than have surgery), so they probably aren't going to push him too much. I'd probably be happy if he was able to give us 15 innings before the end of the year.
We should know a little bit more by the end of today. They wanted to see how he felt the day after pitching 2 innings in a row before they determine the next step for his rehab.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Legia13 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:11 pm

I hope he can finally stay healthy and have a successful career, but please don't make him closer. I think Carlos Marmol will be an excellent closer in this league for many years.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rounders » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:58 pm

Legia13 wrote:I hope he can finally stay healthy and have a successful career, but please don't make him closer. I think Carlos Marmol will be an excellent closer in this league for many years.

I agree that Marmol could be a great closer for years, but we've also seen that Wood can be about as unhittable as they come when he's healthy. If he can prove he can stay healthy in the bullpen all of next year (or even half the year), I wouldn't mind seeing him as a closer after that, but I don't want to see him put in the closer role just to get hurt a few weeks later. Yes, Marmol is younger, but IF Wood could stay healthy, he could be a dominant closer for several years too (30 yrs old now).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:55 am

Wood could rejoin the team next weekend for a home series against the Mets. He's going to Double-A for another 1 or 2 appearances before that. They want to put him in for more than 1 inning so that they can get his pitch count up a little more (his most for his 7 appearances is 17 pitches). So, the plan is to put him in during one inning and then have him finish the next inning.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SmartassBoiler » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Kerry Wood is not a threat to take the closer's role. Thanks to his unreliability, the Cubs don't view him as a closer, at least for this season. Dempster's been very good in the closer role, and Wood will probably come back into the 6th/7th inning role at first, or pitching later in games during blowouts. He could work his way into a setup position, as a healthy Wood is definitely an upgrade over Howry, but there's absolute no reason to remove Dempster from the closer's role unless he's hurt or starts getting hit consistently.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Looks like Wood will be activated tomorrow. Any predictions on how he will pitch?

I know people think that he won't take over the closer role this year but what happens if Wood pulls a Gagne/Smoltz which is a real possibly if he can somehow stay healthy?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 5 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:28 pm

when was the last time she pitched? seems like so long ago.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rounders » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:04 pm

Yoda wrote:Looks like Wood will be activated tomorrow. Any predictions on how he will pitch?

I know people think that he won't take over the closer role this year but what happens if Wood pulls a Gagne/Smoltz which is a real possibly if he can somehow stay healthy?

Then he becomes the closer next year if Dempster stumbles too much. Don't think there's a chance of him taking it over this year with all the question marks and how Dempster has pitched thus far.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates