100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 am

Recently finished this....

...and I really enjoyed it.
Kaiser Wilhelm really was a special kind of insane. Cartoon-ish even.
It blew my mind that Queen Victoria was his grandmother, that's like Batman and the Joker being father and son. :-b

Before this book I had a little bit of sympathy for Tsar Nicholas II from the sketchy outline of him I got from high school history, but after this book, it's totally gone I'm afraid. And his wife.................. X-I

Currently at the beginning of this........

And it's quite good. Freddie as a young man is a hoot :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 am

Been watching WWII in Color on Netflix. Mussolini was some kinda crazy. Watch newsreels of his speechifying, it's hilarious but scary that he was taken seriously.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Been watching WWII in Color on Netflix. Mussolini was some kinda crazy. Watch newsreels of his speechifying, it's hilarious but scary that he was taken seriously.

He was the one that randomly attacked Ethiopia because he wanted to be seen to have won a war, right?
Hilarious.

(Insert George Dubya joke here)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daullaz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 am

Read the Nate Silver book, "The Signal and the Noise." Was great for the first half, then a little too dense in the second half (for me, at least). Still enjoyed it.

Also read "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" over the holidays and can recommend as well.

For those who like fiction, I'd recommend "Shades of Grey" (no, not that one) by Jasper Fforde. Fforde is an English writer who writes a series I like featuring a character named Thursday Next that I thoroughly enjoy, and this new series may even be better.

Politically, I'd check out "Game Change" if you haven't yet. It's so, so much more than what was in the HBO version -- the Clinton/Obama stuff takes up at least half the book by itself and it's pretty fascinating stuff.

Two more nonfiction books I read last year and thought were great were the pair by Shales and Miller about SNL and ESPN -- "Live From New York" and "Those Guys Have All the Fun." These are both essentially oral histories of these institutions told by 80-90 percent of the people involved in each throughout the years.

Another great non-fiction work was one I read last year about Watson, the Jeopardy supercomputer, called "Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything."

If you're into financial non-fiction, I loved "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis about the housing bubble. "Panic!" was also great -- Lewis was the editor of that work, but it's a collection of great writing about financial panics through the years.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 am

With the movie coming up I thought I would read World War Z. Give it a 3/10
Really didn't like it. Did not like the retrospective interview style of storytelling. Didn't do it for me, the book had no flow, no characters and no reason to keep on reading. There's no way they could film the movie the way the book was written, nobody would go see it.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am

Mookie4ever wrote:With the movie coming up I thought I would read World War Z. Give it a 3/10
Really didn't like it. Did not like the retrospective interview style of storytelling. Didn't do it for me, the book had no flow, no characters and no reason to keep on reading. There's no way they could film the movie the way the book was written, nobody would go see it.

I really loved the book. There is no main character but there is certainly a flow and good story told in a really original way. I do agree that there is no way to make a movie the way the book was written. I haven't seen it but from what I've been told the only thing the two have in common is the title.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:52 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:With the movie coming up I thought I would read World War Z. Give it a 3/10

I really loved the book. There is no main character but there is certainly a flow and good story told in a really original way. I do agree that there is no way to make a movie the way the book was written. I haven't seen it but from what I've been told the only thing the two have in common is the title.

Yeah, I didn't like the book much either for similar reasons....I think I might have made a post on it already. But yeah, I can't imagine the movie being anything like the book. I am looking forward to the movie though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:39 pm

J35J wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Yeah, I didn't like the book much either for similar reasons....I think I might have made a post on it already. But yeah, I can't imagine the movie being anything like the book. I am looking forward to the movie though.

I love short story collections so this might have been right in my wheelhouse. I generally won't touch a book that is over 1000 pages.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:08 pm

The ideas were interesting and it is certainly creative but an entire book of narrative is tiring and for some reason the retrospective narrative bothered me.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Just finished Duma Key and I have a complaint, its basically the same story as Bag Of Bones. Boo :-t
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk