Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 am

Recently finished this....

Image

...and I really enjoyed it.
Kaiser Wilhelm really was a special kind of insane. Cartoon-ish even.
It blew my mind that Queen Victoria was his grandmother, that's like Batman and the Joker being father and son. :-b

Before this book I had a little bit of sympathy for Tsar Nicholas II from the sketchy outline of him I got from high school history, but after this book, it's totally gone I'm afraid. And his wife.................. X-I


Currently at the beginning of this........

Image

And it's quite good. Freddie as a young man is a hoot :-b
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 am

Been watching WWII in Color on Netflix. Mussolini was some kinda crazy. Watch newsreels of his speechifying, it's hilarious but scary that he was taken seriously.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Been watching WWII in Color on Netflix. Mussolini was some kinda crazy. Watch newsreels of his speechifying, it's hilarious but scary that he was taken seriously.


He was the one that randomly attacked Ethiopia because he wanted to be seen to have won a war, right?
Hilarious.

(Insert George Dubya joke here)
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby daullaz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 am

Read the Nate Silver book, "The Signal and the Noise." Was great for the first half, then a little too dense in the second half (for me, at least). Still enjoyed it.

Also read "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" over the holidays and can recommend as well.

For those who like fiction, I'd recommend "Shades of Grey" (no, not that one) by Jasper Fforde. Fforde is an English writer who writes a series I like featuring a character named Thursday Next that I thoroughly enjoy, and this new series may even be better.

Politically, I'd check out "Game Change" if you haven't yet. It's so, so much more than what was in the HBO version -- the Clinton/Obama stuff takes up at least half the book by itself and it's pretty fascinating stuff.

Two more nonfiction books I read last year and thought were great were the pair by Shales and Miller about SNL and ESPN -- "Live From New York" and "Those Guys Have All the Fun." These are both essentially oral histories of these institutions told by 80-90 percent of the people involved in each throughout the years.

Another great non-fiction work was one I read last year about Watson, the Jeopardy supercomputer, called "Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything."

If you're into financial non-fiction, I loved "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis about the housing bubble. "Panic!" was also great -- Lewis was the editor of that work, but it's a collection of great writing about financial panics through the years.
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4884
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Babel

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 am

With the movie coming up I thought I would read World War Z. Give it a 3/10
Really didn't like it. Did not like the retrospective interview style of storytelling. Didn't do it for me, the book had no flow, no characters and no reason to keep on reading. There's no way they could film the movie the way the book was written, nobody would go see it.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am

Mookie4ever wrote:With the movie coming up I thought I would read World War Z. Give it a 3/10
Really didn't like it. Did not like the retrospective interview style of storytelling. Didn't do it for me, the book had no flow, no characters and no reason to keep on reading. There's no way they could film the movie the way the book was written, nobody would go see it.


I really loved the book. There is no main character but there is certainly a flow and good story told in a really original way. I do agree that there is no way to make a movie the way the book was written. I haven't seen it but from what I've been told the only thing the two have in common is the title.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21611
(Past Year: 380)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:52 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:With the movie coming up I thought I would read World War Z. Give it a 3/10
Really didn't like it. Did not like the retrospective interview style of storytelling. Didn't do it for me, the book had no flow, no characters and no reason to keep on reading. There's no way they could film the movie the way the book was written, nobody would go see it.


I really loved the book. There is no main character but there is certainly a flow and good story told in a really original way. I do agree that there is no way to make a movie the way the book was written. I haven't seen it but from what I've been told the only thing the two have in common is the title.


Yeah, I didn't like the book much either for similar reasons....I think I might have made a post on it already. But yeah, I can't imagine the movie being anything like the book. I am looking forward to the movie though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 398)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:39 pm

J35J wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:With the movie coming up I thought I would read World War Z. Give it a 3/10
Really didn't like it. Did not like the retrospective interview style of storytelling. Didn't do it for me, the book had no flow, no characters and no reason to keep on reading. There's no way they could film the movie the way the book was written, nobody would go see it.


I really loved the book. There is no main character but there is certainly a flow and good story told in a really original way. I do agree that there is no way to make a movie the way the book was written. I haven't seen it but from what I've been told the only thing the two have in common is the title.


Yeah, I didn't like the book much either for similar reasons....I think I might have made a post on it already. But yeah, I can't imagine the movie being anything like the book. I am looking forward to the movie though.


I love short story collections so this might have been right in my wheelhouse. I generally won't touch a book that is over 1000 pages.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21611
(Past Year: 380)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:08 pm

The ideas were interesting and it is certainly creative but an entire book of narrative is tiring and for some reason the retrospective narrative bothered me.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Just finished Duma Key and I have a complaint, its basically the same story as Bag Of Bones. Boo :-t
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact