Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Currently splitting my beach/pool time reading Superfreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, & Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner, and They Call Me Baba Booey, by Gary Dell'Abate of Howard Stern fame. If anyone has read the Freakonomics books and can recommend something for somebody thoroughly enjoying them, I would love that. I'm not big on novels, but I love reading stuff like that. Or if there's any sports related literature worth snagging.

Tell me how the Baba Booey book is. Too Fat to Fish was pretty good even though I don't like bios. Tell me whether to get Gary's book.

Freakonomics is one of the few books that I have started and never finished.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Currently splitting my beach/pool time reading Superfreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, & Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner, and They Call Me Baba Booey, by Gary Dell'Abate of Howard Stern fame. If anyone has read the Freakonomics books and can recommend something for somebody thoroughly enjoying them, I would love that. I'm not big on novels, but I love reading stuff like that. Or if there's any sports related literature worth snagging.

Tell me how the Baba Booey book is. Too Fat to Fish was pretty good even though I don't like bios. Tell me whether to get Gary's book.

Freakonomics is one of the few books that I have started and never finished.
I'm probably 80 pages into Baba Booey and I'm enjoying it, as a guy who also doesn't really care for bios at all. I enjoy the behind the scenes looks at the show, and Gary's family, specifically his mother, was really crazy, and has been interesting to read about. It was on a table for $6 at Barnes & Noble and couldn't pass it up.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
J35J wrote:The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher, Books 1 and 2 - 8/10
Solid, fun reads. They aren't overly long and are quick reads to get through. There are like a dozen books in the Dresden Files collection, I look forward to reading more.

They don't get better. I was intrigued and read the first 6 or so but they wore on me. I read that he wrote them after his wife challenged him to write a story using as many cliches and overused themes as he could. Looking back I see that he did.

To be honest that doesn't really surprise me too much, I could see how this could be the case. Thanks for the heads up!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:36 pm

J35J wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
J35J wrote:The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher, Books 1 and 2 - 8/10
Solid, fun reads. They aren't overly long and are quick reads to get through. There are like a dozen books in the Dresden Files collection, I look forward to reading more.

They don't get better. I was intrigued and read the first 6 or so but they wore on me. I read that he wrote them after his wife challenged him to write a story using as many cliches and overused themes as he could. Looking back I see that he did.

To be honest that doesn't really surprise me too much, I could see how this could be the case. Thanks for the heads up!

If you like fantasy his Codex series is a million times better. He is a good writer and Codex is something that he actually wanted to write and didn't do it just for a paycheck.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:57 pm

started Freakonomics and it was ok, haven't finished it, but I haven't put it away either. I hate when people try to present what could be seen as coincidental data as fact. i.e. I couldn't get through Outliers and I put it away cause I almost felt like I was being talked down to. They don't really do that but it seemed like they were reaching on some things and beating them to death....it did help me sleep on a flight home from Germany.

I have a few books for work I have to read (on getting people to like me :-b ) but I'll probably interrupt those when my Game Of Thrones books come in.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:19 am

I started reading Dashiell Hammet novels a few months ago and have really enjoyed them so far. He is apparently the OG of modern American detective novels. The stories all move along very well, but I especially like his writing style. There is a lot of very snappy dialogue and a unique way of describing simple, even unimportant, actions and events that makes every bit of the book enjoyable.

Red Harvest - 9/10
The Dain Curse - 6/10
The Maltese Falcon - 8/10

Currently reading Cloud Atlas
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:54 pm

RugbyD wrote:Currently reading Cloud Atlas

I recently finished Cloud Atlas. Solid 8/10. I like ambitious books which try to merge different tones, styles, and genres as one cohesive piece and it's an entertaining read which manages to not be clever for clever's sake for the most part (though some would feel differently). I'm curious to see the film interpretation too.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Hey AD, long time no see. Welcome back.

I recently started working downtown, so have been taking the bus. I get a couple hours of reading in a day. Kind of nice. Here’s the recent stuff.

What with the election coming up, it’s been kinda heavy on the political side.

It’s Even Worse Than it Looks by Norman Omstein and Thomas Mann – 6 out of 10.
This is all about the aggressive partisan tactics currently stymieing any sort of progression in Washington. The book goes pretty heavy on attacking underhanded republican procedures, but does its fair share of attacking partisan democrats as well. Pretty heavy on attacks and blame, but light on resolution. Pretty boring book (if you can imagine that).

End this Depression Now! by Paul Krugman – 8 out of 10.
If you are into economics and such, this is a pretty interesting book. Krugman is most definitely a Keynesian economist and really makes no effort to argue otherwise. His ideas are extremely aggressive and bold, but he makes a pretty good case for them. I felt like I had seen some of the charts in this book before and It got me thinking.. I went back and looked at my Macro-Econ 300 textbook and, sure enough, written by Paul Krugman. I found it really interesting that college textbook are written by such a liberal and aggressive economist, but… the fundamental ideas are solid and Keynesian economics make for great theoretical discussion. Anyways, if you are looking for a book that makes a great argument from one side of the spectrum, this is a pretty good one. Just make sure that you read something from the other side to balance it out.

I thought this would be a fun exercise (turns out, it was)
See, I told you so by Rush Limbaugh – 2 out of 10.
Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot by Al Franken – 6 out of 10.
The title of the second book pretty much sums up this entire reading excursion pretty well. Rush Limbaugh is a moron. But, Rush does have a certain genius about him. He has an incredible ability to spin every single situation to suit his needs and agendas. I could tell him that I forgot to do the dishes last night and he could probably make a pretty good argument as to why that it the Democrats’ fault. Franken’s book was pretty light on politics and actually said that he does not have a great grasp on economics (which is an interesting thing for a soon to be senator to say), but, admittedly, the book is quite funny. Franken seems to have a genuine honesty about him, which is somewhat refreshing.

It’s the middle class, Stupid! by James Carville and Stan Greenberg – 7 out of 10.
This book is quite good and entertaining (the Carville parts, anyway). It is a book basically in two parts. The first being how the two came to their political beliefs (both stanch democrats) and where their careers have taken them. Carville being a chief advisor to the Clinton campaign, Greenberg mostly academic. The second being about how a lot of changes since 1980 have hollowed out the middle class and will continue to do so and how continuing on this path is detrimental to our economy. They are persuasive, but they do cherry pick some numbers that make the Clinton administration appear almost Kennedy-like and others that make Reagan and the Bushes sound like corporate controlled devils. All in all, I liked it. Just remember when reading these types of books that they all have an agenda of some sort. This one’s agenda is getting Obama reelected.

Sex, Drugs and Cocia Puffs by Chuck Klosterman – 8/10
Those of you that read grantland know Klosterman quite well. This book is just a series of short essays on Pop Culture, music and sports. For the most part, quite hilarious. Also, a quick read. I recommend.

Blood Maridian by Cormac McCarthy – 7/10
There is so much ado about Cormac McCarthy that I had to give this a shot. I read The Road and through that I was basically just bored and depressed. I can’t really say this was much different. I get the power in his writing. He is, undoubtedly, an exceptional writer. From an academic standpoint, he might be the first writer that I recommend. But, from an entertainment standpoint, he just doesn’t do it for me. Chapter by chapter it’s just a lot of work to read. You definitely look back at the book and think to yourself, “that was really good.” But, it’s just such a laboring process that I can’t give it the rating it deserves.

How to win friends & influence people by Dale Carnegie – 9/10
Everyone should really read this book. There’s really nothing groundbreaking here, but everyone gets so caught up in the grind of work and life that they forget how to treat people. This book is a great reminder. Not just a reminder of how to treat people, but also a reminder of the benefits that come with treating people the right way. Everything in here is, ultimately, pretty obvious and, yet, we forget it all the time.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – 10/10
This is about the 10th time I’ve read this, but there is a movie coming out and thought “why not?” It only takes about a day to read, it’s pretty short. I don’t really need to go into a synopsis of what it’s about. We’ve all read it. But, go ahead and read it again, you’ll enjoy it as much as you did last time.

Looking for any good suggestion on any political books anyone has read. I prefer them to be a bit economic in nature but, whatever. Also, as you can tell, most of the books I have read have been from the democratic side. So, if anyone has a good one from the other side of the isle, that would be great.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 am

At a former job we would get advance copies of just about every political/economic/social book that was released, plus any other book by request. We usually got four or five advance copies of each, and could basically take any of them home that we wanted once it was determined if they would be used or not. This led to a couple of outcomes: 1. I became a voracious consumer of those kinds of books, and 2. I had a fairly lucrative Amazon account for a couple years. Anyway, a couple that you may not have heard of that I recall being pretty good were How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization; The Other War: Israelis, Palestinians and the Struggle for Media Supremacy; Multitude: War and Democracy in the Age of Empire; and End of the Line: The Rise and Coming Fall of the Global Corporation.

If memory serves, Multitude is the only one of that list that made much of a dent in any best sellers list, but the others are worth a read. I've also re-read Gladwell's The Tipping Point and Blink over the summer. Both are good, fairly entertaining if you're into social phenomenon, and are quick and easy reads.

McCarthy can be a little work to read from time to time, but damn if the man can't pen a line. Easily in my top two living American authors with Toni Morrison. But yeah, I can see how he wouldn't be what most people want to take to the beach.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:50 am

I just finished this:

3/10

So &$%*^%&%^&%&ing slow. Some juicy bits, but it could easily have been half the length.

The author commits a couple of writing no-nos....
1. Publishing long letters where people basically talk about the weather (OMG WHO CARES)
2. Introducing random people, talking about them for half a page, then not mentioning them again. X-I This is fine if you do it once, but not if you do it 25+ times.

Currently in the middle of this:

It's not bad, but it's very different to what I was expecting.
It's about 19th century British governors in the British Empire. I was expecting a farce of "hilarious" bumbling racists, but actually some of these people are quite compassionate and good at their jobs. Colour me surprised. ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk