Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby J35J » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The Lions of Al-Rassan, Guy Gavriel Kay 10/10

I thought that I had read it before and because it is set in the same world as other of his novels it was very familiar but I hadn't read it until now. It's a fictionalized account of the fight between the Christians and Moors on the Spanish peninsula with the Jews caught in between. Beautifully written with flowing descriptions and scene setting like Michale Ondaatje in his books In the Skin of a Lion or the English Patient. If you liked those you will love this. Just as good as Kay's Sailing to Sarantium.

My wife read this in the summer and she was getting all choked up and even crying at some points. I remembered this and after finishing the book yesterday I asked her what choked her up. She told me about the love story (that I was only minimally aware of) and a scene that advanced the love story. I was like wtf? That made you cry? That was just a throw away chapter I thought, there wasn't even any fighting. She thought that the entire book was a love story. I missed that completely.

Have you read Tigana?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Done reading Shantaram. 8/10. I liked it very much, but felt like there were some unresolved character issues. but, it was like a billion pages, so you gotta draw the line somewhere, right? I would definitely recommend.

not sure what I want to read next. thinking maybe a classic of some sort. any suggestions?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:09 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Done reading Shantaram. 8/10. I liked it very much, but felt like there were some unresolved character issues. but, it was like a billion pages, so you gotta draw the line somewhere, right? I would definitely recommend.

not sure what I want to read next. thinking maybe a classic of some sort. any suggestions?

I really like fiction books that are set in a real time and place. I enjoy learning about a time in history, whist getting my story on, if you will...
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby thedude » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:02 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Done reading Shantaram. 8/10. I liked it very much, but felt like there were some unresolved character issues. but, it was like a billion pages, so you gotta draw the line somewhere, right? I would definitely recommend.

I really like fiction books that are set in a real time and place. I enjoy learning about a time in history, whist getting my story on, if you will...

Something classic, about a real time and place, about history, and is fiction...

You are basically describing I, Claudius by Robert Graves. Rightfully considered one of the greatest novels of all time.

I reviewed this a couple of years ago. Here is an excerpt from Time's review:

A member of a ruthless and murderous imperial family, he survives because he seems to all around him the least consequential twig of the family tree. But Claudius bears enduring witness to a moment when the virtues of the Roman republic, which has already been disposed of by the time he begins his tale, are being lost to the bloodlusts and hubris of the Roman empire.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... 05,00.html #ixzz1ac5yUlC8
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis - 8.5/10
You probably know Michael Lewis from Moneyball or the Blind Side, but in the 1980s he was a bond trader at Salomon Brothers. Liar's Poker was his memoir about his experiences at Salomon (he quite Salomon to write the book). This is a really interesting look into the culture of 1980s Wall Street. The first 1/3 of the book details Lewis experiences early in his career at Salomon and is very funny. The middle third discusses the rise and fall of Salomon's mortgage bond trading division, which is what made the firm so successful in the early 1980s; this section is dry, but interesting considering that these bonds were behind the current recession. The last third is about Lewis's life as a bond salesman and the eventual fall of Salomon Brothers. Overall it was a great read.

Since I am on the subject of investment banking, here is a book I read some time ago:

Street Fighters by Kate Kelly - 8/10

This is the story of the final 72 Hours of Bear Stearns, in the early days of the 2008 recession. As you know it was the implosion of Bear Stearns which signaled to the world how serious the situation on Wall Street really was. This is the look inside the collapse of the investment bank, from the prospective of the key players. The book starts as the top management gathers late in the evening for an emergency meeting. It was at this meeting that it becomes clear just how dire the position of the bank is (if they cannot raise several billion dollars of cash, the bank will not be able to open for business the next morning). The book proceeds through the next days as senior managers and the government desperately attempt to find a buyer while navigating internal politics (and national politics) and their own misconceptions of the firm's worth.
This is a pretty quick read and I recommend it.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:21 pm

The Big Short - Michael Lewis - 7/10
Its about various investors who saw the real estate collapse coming and how they made a killing off it. Interesting and entertaining read, just like almost any Lewis book. Solid read if you're interested in how and why things unwound so bad without getting overly technical.

The Extra 2% - Jonah Keri - 5/10
Its about the Rays and how they built a contender on a shoestring budget. Its just OK. Interesting story, but not a whole lot of juicy rare red meat. Also a pretty light read. Airplane material, but not good enough for bathroom material as those moments free of distraction would be wasted.

Nothing to Envy - Barbara Demick - 9/10
Its a book about everyday life on North Korea as told to journalist by defectors. She rebuilds the history of their lives as it was in NK, how things devolved so bad, how they got out, and what their lives are like now. The was a very interesting read given how little is known of NK and how shut off it is from the world. I highly recommend you pick this one up.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby kab21 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:13 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Nothing to Envy - Barbara Demick - 9/10
Its a book about everyday life on North Korea as told to journalist by defectors. She rebuilds the history of their lives as it was in NK, how things devolved so bad, how they got out, and what their lives are like now. The was a very interesting read given how little is known of NK and how shut off it is from the world. I highly recommend you pick this one up.

This is my kind of book. But it might be time to go the ebook route since I'm in Taiwan.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:04 pm

Reading Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay now...it's a slow start but I was warned of this so I'm fighting through.

Have recently read...

Strangers - Dean Koontz - 6.75/10
Slow start to this one because it just seems to drag over the first 200 pages, but the last 400+ pages finish off well. Not great, but a solid read if you can make it past the first couple hundred pages.

Hunger Games Trilogy - 9/10
Book 1 was very good, Book 2 started off a little slow but finished off very good, Book 3 was solid all the way through. Very good series, enjoyed it.

The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher, Books 1 and 2 - 8/10
Solid, fun reads. They aren't overly long and are quick reads to get through. There are like a dozen books in the Dresden Files collection, I look forward to reading more.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:20 pm

J35J wrote:The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher, Books 1 and 2 - 8/10
Solid, fun reads. They aren't overly long and are quick reads to get through. There are like a dozen books in the Dresden Files collection, I look forward to reading more.

They don't get better. I was intrigued and read the first 6 or so but they wore on me. I read that he wrote them after his wife challenged him to write a story using as many cliches and overused themes as he could. Looking back I see that he did.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Currently splitting my beach/pool time reading Superfreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, & Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner, and They Call Me Baba Booey, by Gary Dell'Abate of Howard Stern fame. If anyone has read the Freakonomics books and can recommend something for somebody thoroughly enjoying them, I would love that. I'm not big on novels, but I love reading stuff like that. Or if there's any sports related literature worth snagging.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk