Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Not a book, and longer than articles that most people will read online, but this is one of the best pieces I've read in a long time: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6809214/part-1-4
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Not a book, and longer than articles that most people will read online, but this is one of the best pieces I've read in a long time: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6809214/part-1-4

I really can't get enough Grantland in my life. Every day I'm entertained by its pieces. First time I've felt that way about a site in forever.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Not a book, and longer than articles that most people will read online, but this is one of the best pieces I've read in a long time: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6809214/part-1-4

I really can't get enough Grantland in my life. Every day I'm entertained by its pieces. First time I've felt that way about a site in forever.

Me too. I've read everything on the site except some of the celebrity/pop culture stuff and the wrestling stuff and almost all of it has been very good to great.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Me too. I've read everything on the site except some of the celebrity/pop culture stuff and the wrestling stuff and almost all of it has been very good to great.

If you're ever trying to explain to a woman how fantasy sports work, you need look no further than simply pointing her in the direction of their Reality TV Fantasy League. My friend's wife went from 'wtf' to 'oh, okay i get it' in about five minutes.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:58 pm

read Into Thin Air , pretty good book, definitely tough thinking about what those people leave behind to attempt this. I think I'll look at the 30 yard hills on my 3 mile run a little differently now.

Borders is going out of business so I picked that up, also got Defiance and The Accidental Billionaire.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 am

Mick Foley's Hardcore Diaries....2/10

Kind of boring with LOTS of snore-worthy filler. I was very underwhelmed.

Dear Mick,

I do not care about:

Your charity work
Your son's religion
Your novels

IF I purchase your next non-fiction (and after reading this shirt I am leaning towards not) please remove all mention of the above.

Regards,

Unimpressed, Australia
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 am

I'm about mid-way through Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, and really enjoying it thus far. Literally the first book I've picked up in probably five years. Though it does seem, at times, to be pushing a Pro Choice agenda, and I rarely ever see agenda pushing unless I'm blatantly looking for it, it's still a real fun and quick read. I blasted through the first half in a day and a half of leisurely reading cause of Hurricane Irene.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:44 pm

J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:
wake wrote:
Same here. Don't let us down J...

;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.

Either of you get the book yet and start on it?

How about now?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:11 am

J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:
;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.

Either of you get the book yet and start on it?

How about now?

i'm about 25 chapters into it. it's good.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:07 pm

The Lions of Al-Rassan, Guy Gavriel Kay 10/10

I thought that I had read it before and because it is set in the same world as other of his novels it was very familiar but I hadn't read it until now. It's a fictionalized account of the fight between the Christians and Moors on the Spanish peninsula with the Jews caught in between. Beautifully written with flowing descriptions and scene setting like Michale Ondaatje in his books In the Skin of a Lion or the English Patient. If you liked those you will love this. Just as good as Kay's Sailing to Sarantium.

My wife read this in the summer and she was getting all choked up and even crying at some points. I remembered this and after finishing the book yesterday I asked her what choked her up. She told me about the love story (that I was only minimally aware of) and a scene that advanced the love story. I was like wtf? That made you cry? That was just a throw away chapter I thought, there wasn't even any fighting. She thought that the entire book was a love story. I missed that completely.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk