Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:20 pm

DbacksRback wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
J35J wrote:
Either of you get the book yet and start on it?

ok, so.... 944 pages! what!??!

is it really worth it? thats quite the time investment.

....I was hoping for around 45 pages. Maybe Ill buy it on audio :-b

wouldn't audio take even longer? or maybe not.. I've never bought an audio book. but, I do spend a lot of time in traffic.

new topic: has anyone ever bought an audio book before? what are your thoughts?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:30 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

ok, so.... 944 pages! what!??!

is it really worth it? thats quite the time investment.

wouldn't audio take even longer? or maybe not.. I've never bought an audio book. but, I do spend a lot of time in traffic.

Never really thought about doing it. I feel like i would get distracted with something else and have to keep rewinding to listen to what I missed.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:28 pm

are their pictures?? :-o

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:39 am

DbacksRback wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:

Never really thought about doing it. I feel like i would get distracted with something else and have to keep rewinding to listen to what I missed.

Obviously you have to enjoy reading but I would rather read a good 900 page book over a good 200 page book.

I've only heard parts of 1 audio book and they are fun to listen too but you obviously have to keep your attention on it....listening to and from work would probably be best if you have at least a 30 minute drive. But from what I hear it's the story teller that can make or break how good an audio book is. I'd rather just read the book though personally.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 am

J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:
wake wrote:
Same here. Don't let us down J...

;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.

Either of you get the book yet and start on it?

I have the book, but I'm currently teaching summer school so I plan on starting it once that's done... I'll be hunkering down with it on the 25th... ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Castings Trilogy by Pamela Freeman 7/10

Serious fantasy fare. Very slow in developing. The entire first book is devoted to introducing the characters and the setting. The second finally introduces conflict and story. Slow and tidal build up to the third book. Might not be enough action for most but the characters are deep and worthy and the setting is very rich. If you have time to invest it's pretty good.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 am

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer - 9/10

This is a personal account of the Mt. Everest disaster that took place in May of 1996. This trip up the mountain tragically had more deaths on it's tragic day than any other 1 day since people have been climbing the mountain. A quick, easy read but very intriguing and chilling at times. I couldn't imagine the helplessness most of these guys would have been feeling.

I also learned quite a bit about climbing Everest, not just on this one day but in general, in that it's not something you go over to do in a day or two...or even a week or two. You have to be on the side of that mountain for 3-5weeks to get acclimated to the low oxygen and temperatures, etc And the climb itself isn't an overly difficult one in the technical sense(relatively speaking)...it's about how much pain you can endure over these weeks of freezing weather, high winds, and most importantly the very low oxygen(half to even a third of the oxygen at the summit than what is at sea level) and general lack of sleep due to the cold and lack of oxygen.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:19 am

lastingsgriller wrote:new topic: has anyone ever bought an audio book before? what are your thoughts?

I went to undergrad in Virginia, and the drive from Rhode Island was 10 hours or so... Audio books saved my sanity. I personally love them if I'm making a long drive. They definitely make the time go by quickly.

As far as day to day driving goes, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby thedude » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:02 pm

J35J wrote:Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer - 9/10

This is a personal account of the Mt. Everest disaster that took place in May of 1996. This trip up the mountain tragically had more deaths on it's tragic day than any other 1 day since people have been climbing the mountain. A quick, easy read but very intriguing and chilling at times. I couldn't imagine the helplessness most of these guys would have been feeling.

I also learned quite a bit about climbing Everest, not just on this one day but in general, in that it's not something you go over to do in a day or two...or even a week or two. You have to be on the side of that mountain for 3-5weeks to get acclimated to the low oxygen and temperatures, etc And the climb itself isn't an overly difficult one in the technical sense(relatively speaking)...it's about how much pain you can endure over these weeks of freezing weather, high winds, and most importantly the very low oxygen(half to even a third of the oxygen at the summit than what is at sea level) and general lack of sleep due to the cold and lack of oxygen.

That really is a great book. ;-D
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kab21 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Pretty soon you'll find yourself reading Boukreev's The Climb, Viestur's autobiography (1 chapter describes the '96 disaster) and others to find out their perspective of the story. Krakauer's book is by far the best book but that's partly because he's an exceptional writer and storyteller. The other books contain conflicting info but that shouldn't really be a surprise considering the conditions. Next up on my list (at least in the next 5) is Herzog's Annapurna. And current plans are to travel to Tibet and Nepal in 2013 for 3+ months.

I can't remember what I've rated but I know I haven't rated these two.

Finding George Orwell in a Burmese Teashop - Emma Larkin (8/10) - I read but didn't particularly enjoy Orwell's Burmese Days (pretty sure I reviewed this) but Larkin's book is excellent. She plans her travels (8-10 trips in 10 years) to discover George Orwell's past and his legacy in Burma. But this is only her travel itinerary. Even though there is a significant amount of Orwell's history (he lived here, he worked here, etc...) the focus of the book is on ongoing repression in Burma. It's a great view inside of closed off Burma and it really displays the fear that people have for the gov't. The people really believe that big brother (from Orwell's 1984 book) is constantly watching them.

The Diary of Anne Frank - 9.5/10 - Even though you know how the story ends you just keep hoping that somehow it works out differently this time. And it's so well written that it's hard to believe that it came from a teenage girl.

My bookshelf overflowith and I have so many books that should be read (but aren't). But I have a one week motorcycle trip upcoming so I'll need to choose a new book to read.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk