Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby wake » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:27 am

Inukchuk wrote:
J35J wrote:Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts - 10/10

Quite simply the best book I've ever read. It seems like going over the top by saying that but it's truth in this case. I'll steal what someone wrote in their amazon review because it sums it up so nicely...

"Unforgetable, multidimensional, engrossing,
I will never forget this book and when, in a few years, I'll reread it, I will enjoy it just as much, if not more, the second time. I can't wait for that time to come. "



This book is based on the authors life and it's so believable and engrossing that I feel like the whole thing is true...It's been a while since I've wanted to meet someone more than I do this author...if nothing more than to see how much of this story is true. Great book!


Just bought it on amazon... you'd better be right... ;-)


Same here. Don't let us down J...
Image
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1321
Joined: 24 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:29 am

wake wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
J35J wrote:Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts - 10/10

Quite simply the best book I've ever read. It seems like going over the top by saying that but it's truth in this case. I'll steal what someone wrote in their amazon review because it sums it up so nicely...

"Unforgetable, multidimensional, engrossing,
I will never forget this book and when, in a few years, I'll reread it, I will enjoy it just as much, if not more, the second time. I can't wait for that time to come. "



This book is based on the authors life and it's so believable and engrossing that I feel like the whole thing is true...It's been a while since I've wanted to meet someone more than I do this author...if nothing more than to see how much of this story is true. Great book!


Just bought it on amazon... you'd better be right... ;-)


Same here. Don't let us down J...


;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 358)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm

J35J wrote:
wake wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:Just bought it on amazon... you'd better be right... ;-)


Same here. Don't let us down J...


;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.


Yup, if you guys don't like the book it's not J letting you down, you're just wrong.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14142
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
J35J wrote:
wake wrote:
Same here. Don't let us down J...


;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.


Yup, if you guys don't like the book it's not J letting you down, you're just wrong.

I hope for their sake your taste in literature far surpasses your taste in cinema.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I hope for their sake your taste in literature far surpasses your taste in cinema.


my taste in cinema is perfect, people just tend to think terrible movies are good.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14142
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:28 pm

The Man from Beijing - 6.5/10 - started off nicely but the writing and plot trend downward in the last two parts. From what I've read, this could partially be explained by the poor translation from Swedish by Laurie Thompson. :-?
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby J35J » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:22 pm

J35J wrote:
wake wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
Just bought it on amazon... you'd better be right... ;-)


Same here. Don't let us down J...


;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.


Either of you get the book yet and start on it?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 358)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:45 pm

J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:
wake wrote:
Same here. Don't let us down J...


;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.


Either of you get the book yet and start on it?


Im not a big reader at all but after reading the reviews on this book I'm thinking about giving it a shot
________________________________________

Image
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2879
(Past Year: 57)
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 pm

J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:
wake wrote:
Same here. Don't let us down J...


;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.


Either of you get the book yet and start on it?



ok, so.... 944 pages! what!??!

is it really worth it? thats quite the time investment.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 171)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:
;-D Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. It's almost 950 pages but I got so involved with the book that I was disappointed when it was over. GiantsFan and Rugby gave it high reviews just a couple pages back as well...I'll be suprised if you don't think it's at least an 8/10.


Either of you get the book yet and start on it?



ok, so.... 944 pages! what!??!

is it really worth it? thats quite the time investment.


....I was hoping for around 45 pages. Maybe Ill buy it on audio :-b
________________________________________

Image
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2879
(Past Year: 57)
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AngelaNoro, unioreimi and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 9:30 hours
(and 91 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact