Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:51 am

The most recent book I've read is Rework as recommended to me by my Hunch. It's a business book which challenges bits of conventional wisdom in the business world. It's make for light and yet insightful reading. I'll say 8/10.

My Hunch also suggested that I read Devil in the White City, which I'll be keen to pick up next.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Tis wrote:The Name of the Wind - By Patrick Rothfuss

If you like Epic Fantasy at all - 10/10
If you Don't like Fantasy - 7/10

Good to hear...I've got this book on my shelf and will read it soon enough.

The last few books I've read...

Wizard's First Rule, Stone of Tears and Blood of the Fold - Terry Goodkind
The first 3 books of The Sword of Truth series... 9/10 ... Very fast paced and alot of action. If you like Fantasy I can't imagine you wouldn't like these books.

The Talisman - Stephen King - 5/10
Blah, I didn't really like this all that much, it was a struggle to get through. If I hadn't bought the book I may not have ever finished it but I always finish books I buy.

Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank - 9.5/10
Very good survival, post apocalypitic novel that is still very good even though it was written in the late 50's.

Currently reading...
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy - 5/10 (Only half way done with it)
Not my type of book, I can see where it gets alot of solid reviews but the books I read need to have some action and flow but this one, so far, is just dragging along and I get bored with it easily. This is another one that I probably wouldn't ever finish if I didn't own it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:10 pm

J35J wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:World War Z- "An Oral History of the Zombie War" by Max Brooks- 9/10

Entertaining read, a plague that reanimates the dead sweeps the earth and leads to a massive world war between humans and zombies. It's written as an oral history with the narrator interviewing people all over the world for their own personal stories on what they went through. Each chapter is told by a different person and advances the storyline of the war itself. The style it's written in makes it a really fun read.

This book is on my shelf as we speak. I've ready the Zombie Survival Guide by Brooks so it's probably time to move on to this one next.

I just finished Boy's Life by Robert McCammon - 8/10

I did ready World War Z(6/10) and I must say I was very disappointed. I love Zombie books and fantasy/sci fi stuff but this one bored me after a while. Some of the small stories were very boring...others were good but then they were over after 5-6 pages. I'd rather of seen this broken out into 3-4 larger personal stories instead of a new story every 6-12 pages.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 pm

RugbyD wrote:Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

9/10

Fantastic book. It's an autobiographical fiction and I'm guessing all the basic events are true with some of the timing and details filled in as needed. I knocked it one point for being overly sappy and philosophical in some parts. Here's the Amazon review:

Crime and punishment, passion and loyalty, betrayal and redemption are only a few of the ingredients in Shantaram, a massive, over-the-top, mostly autobiographical novel. Shantaram is the name given Mr. Lindsay, or Linbaba, the larger-than-life hero. It means "man of God's peace," which is what the Indian people know of Lin. What they do not know is that prior to his arrival in Bombay he escaped from an Australian prison where he had begun serving a 19-year sentence. He served two years and leaped over the wall. He was imprisoned for a string of armed robberies peformed to support his heroin addiction, which started when his marriage fell apart and he lost custody of his daughter. All of that is enough for several lifetimes, but for Greg Roberts, that's only the beginning.

He arrives in Bombay with little money, an assumed name, false papers, an untellable past, and no plans for the future. Fortunately, he meets Prabaker right away, a sweet, smiling man who is a street guide. He takes to Lin immediately, eventually introducing him to his home village, where they end up living for six months. When they return to Bombay, they take up residence in a sprawling illegal slum of 25,000 people and Linbaba becomes the resident "doctor." With a prison knowledge of first aid and whatever medicines he can cadge from doing trades with the local Mafia, he sets up a practice and is regarded as heaven-sent by these poor people who have nothing but illness, rat bites, dysentery, and anemia. He also meets Karla, an enigmatic Swiss-American woman, with whom he falls in love. Theirs is a complicated relationship, and Karla’s connections are murky from the outset.

Roberts is not reluctant to wax poetic; in fact, some of his prose is downright embarrassing. Throughought the novel, however, all 944 pages of it, every single sentence rings true. He is a tough guy with a tender heart, one capable of what is judged criminal behavior, but a basically decent, intelligent man who would never intentionally hurt anyone, especially anyone he knew. He is a magnet for trouble, a soldier of fortune, a picaresque hero: the rascal who lives by his wits in a corrupt society. His story is irresistible.

I got this book for Christmas, can't wait to dive into it. ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:47 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:The most recent book I've read is Rework as recommended to me by my Hunch. It's a business book which challenges bits of conventional wisdom in the business world. It's make for light and yet insightful reading. I'll say 8/10.

My Hunch also suggested that I read Devil in the White City, which I'll be keen to pick up next.

trust your hunch on this one.. Devil in the White City is great.. 8.5/10
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:31 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:The most recent book I've read is Rework as recommended to me by my Hunch. It's a business book which challenges bits of conventional wisdom in the business world. It's make for light and yet insightful reading. I'll say 8/10.

trust your hunch on this one.. Devil in the White City is great.. 8.5/10

Cool, I'll pick up a copy real soon.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 pm

i got the George W Bush book for christmas. i dont read and dont care about politics or Bush....so it was surprising to see with my name on it. waste of $35 for that person

i will not read it....so i have to find a good use for it. ideas?
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:29 pm

J35J wrote:Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy - 5/10 (Only half way done with it)
Not my type of book, I can see where it gets alot of solid reviews but the books I read need to have some action and flow but this one, so far, is just dragging along and I get bored with it easily. This is another one that I probably wouldn't ever finish if I didn't own it.

This is craziness. McCarthy is one of the greats and this is his masterpiece.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Yeah, so I hear, and the reason why I bought it....but it's just a snooze. I've definately found that people like books for many, many different kinds of reasons and this one really shows that...some think it is a masterpiece and I'm struggling to get through it. :-S :*)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 pm

J35J wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

Yeah, so I hear, and the reason why I bought it....but it's just a snooze. I've definately found that people like books for many, many different kinds of reasons and this one really shows that...some think it is a masterpiece and I'm struggling to get through it. :-S :*)

I definitely like some things that most people don't, and dislike some things that most people do, so I certainly understand disagreeing with the mainstream, but this is one of my all-time favorites. Outside of the beats and South American magical realism, which are my two favorite genres, this is quite possibly my favorite book. I'm struggling to think of a contemporary American writer who I would put on McCarthy's level. Toni Morrison, maybe.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk