Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 am

Under The Dome (Stephen King) 6.5/10 - This book is a marathon at 1100 pages. I liked the premise of the story itself but the end product fell short. None of the characters were particularly memorable and a lot of what happened throughout the story was predictable. Another thing I wasn't too fond of was King's attempts to make the younger characters sound hip and cool. It came off as forced and phony. The accuracy of what town life would be like under a dome seemed feasible though and that's mainly what kept me interested....the human interactions and development of relationships was done pretty well. Still though, a disappointment overall.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Fantahsee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:58 pm

im reading "the blind side" by michael lewis. I already saw the movie but the book is proving to be better.. I rate it when im done tho
Fantahsee
T-Ball Trainer

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb - 8/10
Good solid book if you like the sci fi/fantasy stuff. You follow the life of the princes bastard kid, actually his life up until he's 14-15 years old. The King ends up taking him under his wing so he could be taught the ways of being an assassin for the king. This is the first book of 3 and does a good job of laying the foundation to hopefully a good series.

I'm currently reading Built to Win by John Schuerholz
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:35 pm

I've gone back to reread some classics by one of my favourite authors Ursula LeGuin.

The Dispossessed 10/10
The Left Hand of Darkness 10/10

Classics and must reads for anybody who likes sci-fi or fantasy. LeGuin is a true master.
I'm now working my way through the rest of her writing. I've started with the Earthsea series.

The Wizard of Earthsea 8/10
A little dark but captivating.
The Tombs of Atuan - is next up. Looks like a good one.

btw - LeGuin is 80 and it will be a sad day when she passes. I would really like to meet her the next time I am in Cali.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

10/10

It's a great bildungsroman with style that reminded me of Umberto Ecco. It's a great "mystery" type book centered around a boy growing up in post-war Spain in the 1950's. It's not a classical whodoneit, and not a typical loss of innocence tale. I highly recommend it.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby J35J » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:06 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

10/10

It's a great bildungsroman with style that reminded me of Umberto Ecco. It's a great "mystery" type book centered around a boy growing up in post-war Spain in the 1950's. It's not a classical whodoneit, and not a typical loss of innocence tale. I highly recommend it.

Good to hear...this is on my "to read" list.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm

J35J wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

10/10

Good to hear...this is on my "to read" list.

The more I reflect on it the more I like it. I hope this author continues his efforts.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:12 pm

read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo during vacation. Saw it for $5 at Wal-Mart and figured what I'd see what all the buzz was about.

5/10

I don't get it. It was ok, nothing spectacular.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Fantahsee wrote:im reading "the blind side" by michael lewis. I already saw the movie but the book is proving to be better.. I rate it when im done tho

I was waiting with baited breath for this review.......I have been let down. :,-(
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:48 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Fantahsee wrote:im reading "the blind side" by michael lewis. I already saw the movie but the book is proving to be better.. I rate it when im done tho

I was waiting with baited breath for this review.......I have been let down. :,-(

I read it after seeing the movie and it was just a more detailed account of the movie from what I can remember. It was a good book but I'm not sure it added a whole lot after I had already seen the movie.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk