Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:01 pm

J35J wrote:Animal Farm - 7/10

Its just ok for me, I didn't really remember alot of it when I read it in junior high. Its a quick read since its only 140 pages or so. The story behind the story is good but I don't know if I could sit through the entire book if it was 400 pages.

That was one of the few books I actually liked that we've had to read for school.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 am

The Magus by John Fowles - Fiction/Literature - 8/10

Very solid book! I will warn, at least for me, that the first 100 pages didn't interest me much and I really thought about not going through with the book considering its 650+ pages long. But shortly after 100 pages the book really took off.....this book is full of twists and turns and keeps you wanting to read more and more! It was very hard to put down. I will say that I was a little disappointed with the ending as well but I do understand what he was trying to do. If it wasn't for the ending and the book not being an "easy" read it would be hard for me not to give this book a 10 because the story itself really pulled me in! Look it up on amazon.com for a description of the book and other reviews.

P.S. Coppermine, you may want to check this book out. I'd imagine you would like it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby AEMRICH » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:49 am

unSpun
is anyone familiar with this book?? I have to read it for a political science class and it isn't too long 200 pages maybe. It is from the creators of factcheck.org I read about 80 pages of the book last night and found it very interested. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this book or if there is anything i should know about it
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby J35J » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:27 pm

To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

6.5-10

I can see why this book is a classic but its not my type of read. I read to be entertained....a good mystery, thriller, action, adventure is what I'm looking for and this isn't really any of that. And because of that this really wasn't a "page turner" for me but I am glad I read it because of the popularity and it being an American Classic.

Up next... The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks I read The First King of Shannara a while back and still have the other books in this series to read so thats what I'm going to do.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:46 pm

J35J wrote:To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

6.5-10

I can see why this book is a classic but its not my type of read. I read to be entertained....a good mystery, thriller, action, adventure is what I'm looking for and this isn't really any of that. And because of that this really wasn't a "page turner" for me but I am glad I read it because of the popularity and it being an American Classic.

I would like to disagree
I read TKAMB for high school , and even though it was 10 years ago , I still want to burn every copy ever made.
It was one of those books where you hated some of the good guys even though you weren't supposed to.
-5/10.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:55 pm

I thought the Shannara series was alright, certainly not my favorite of the genre. If you don't have a long list waiting after you finish TSOS Jason you should look into Donaldson's first Thomas Covenant series. Easily the best work of fantasy I've ever read.

I'm rereading Good to Great, a book on common idealism between some of the strongest companies in America and how their philosophies differ from similar companies who can't reach or maintain the same type of success. I never really got into business books all that much but this is one that I did really enjoy. 8/10

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:01 pm

The Bad Guys Won - Jeff Pearlman

I have no attachment to the Mets , or baseball in 1986 but I really really loved this book.
I particularly enjoyed the 1980-1985 description of how the '86 team was built.
A really easy read , almost a "can't putdowner".

9.5/10 ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby J35J » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:04 am

Tavish wrote:I thought the Shannara series was alright, certainly not my favorite of the genre. If you don't have a long list waiting after you finish TSOS Jason you should look into Donaldson's first Thomas Covenant series. Easily the best work of fantasy I've ever read.
I'm rereading Good to Great, a book on common idealism between some of the strongest companies in America and how their philosophies differ from similar companies who can't reach or maintain the same type of success. I never really got into business books all that much but this is one that I did really enjoy. 8/10

Thanks for the recommendation Tav, I'll definately look into it!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:29 pm

finished The Blind Side by Michael Lewis

very good read. the story of ole miss LT Michael Oher. a really captivating story and good nfl/ncaa references and stories through out.

8/10.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:40 am

Tavish wrote:I thought the Shannara series was alright, certainly not my favorite of the genre. If you don't have a long list waiting after you finish TSOS Jason you should look into Donaldson's first Thomas Covenant series. Easily the best work of fantasy I've ever read.

Hey Tav, are you talking about....

Lord Foul's Bane
The Illearth War
The Power that Preserves

I looked at some of the reviews on the first book and it sounds like you either love it or hate it. Let me know if this is the series you are talking about and if it is let me know what it was that made you like it so much!

Thanks!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk