Rate the last Book you read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last Book you read

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:16 am

The Killer Angels
by Michael Shaara
9/10

I am not into war books or really had an interest in the Civil War when I picked this book up, and I still enjoyed it immensly. It tells the story of the Battle of Gettysburg and has all of the familiar historical figures and more. The book is character driven, and the best parts are when you read the thoughts/fears/beliefs/reasons of the characters as they are plunged into a war.


Elmer Gantry
by Sinclair Lewis
9.5/10

Elmer is a boozing college football player who realizes he can take advantage of his oratory skills and alhpa-male personality to become a Methodist/Baptist minister. He rises his way through the church, but has a tendancy to not change his womanizing, drinking, hypocritical ways.

This was written in the 1920's, and was definately before its time. The parallels you can see between this book and the televanglist movement is amazing. Lewis did a great job on this funny entertaining and very relevant book and I would recommend it to (almost) anyone.


What I'm Reading Now:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Crime and Punishment
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1713
Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't need doubletalk! You need Bob Loblaw!

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby nebgib5 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:11 pm

sportsaddict wrote:I just read "A Season on the Brink" by John Feinstein for the first time. If anyone on here's a big college basketball fan or would just be interested in going behind the scenes of a Bob Knight-coached team, this book is outstanding. Entertaining all the way through.


one of my favorite books ever. ;-D
Image
nebgib5
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 243
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Caaaaaaambridge

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby statsman88 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:49 pm

Anything by Matt Cristopher - 10/10 ;-D


Man his books are great
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 727
Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:20 am

Breakfast of Champions - 9/10

I love me some Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse 5 is by far one of my favorite books.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1852
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: @ the banana stand.

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby J35J » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:06 pm

Just got through "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt

..easily the best book I've ever read!! I was a little bummed when I got to the last 10 or so pages.....I realized that the book would be over and the characters I really enjoyed following would be gone. Very, very good read! Thanks for the recommendation Cu!!!! 10/10

Next up...
"The Magus" by John Fowles
"Animal Farm" by George Orwell -- yes I read this in school but its been so long ago I wanted to read it again!!




Pokeyouindaeye wrote:I love me some Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse 5 is by far one of my favorite books.


I've got a couple of Vonnegut's books on my want list...one of which is Slaughterhouse 5! ;-D

CheeseBeger wrote:The Killer Angels
by Michael Shaara
9/10

I am not into war books or really had an interest in the Civil War when I picked this book up, and I still enjoyed it immensly. It tells the story of the Battle of Gettysburg and has all of the familiar historical figures and more. The book is character driven, and the best parts are when you read the thoughts/fears/beliefs/reasons of the characters as they are plunged into a war.


I've almost picked this book up a couple times. Its still on my want list but I'll probably wait a while before I get it.

CheeseBeger wrote:What I'm Reading Now:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Crime and Punishment


Crime and Punishment is definately on my want list! And i've heard that if you liked this book you would love "The Secret History" or vice versa!!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby knapplc » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 pm

J35J wrote:I read 90% of "The Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield(Fiction/Literature) because I ended up seeing the movie(300) before I finished the book. I won't go back and finish the book because it seemed to be very similar to the movie and I know how that ends. 7/10

The last book I've read fully was "First King of Shannara" by Terry Brooks (Fantasy) and plan on reading the whole series. It was a pretty solid book and can't wait to get back into the series, though it looks like I have a couple books to read before it. Anyway, its your "typical" fantasy with trolls, magic, elves, skull bearers, etc 7.5/10



OK - I know it's your opinion and all and I can't tell you that V8 tastes good if you hate tomato juice and all, but I have read Gates of Fire and I have read the first three Shannara books, and I have to say I disagree entirely. The first Shannara book was ENTIRELY a ripoff of Lord of the Rings - exactly the same plot, same storyline, same "twists," same everything. Oddly enough, Gates of Fire is further away from the storyline of 300 than The Sword of Shannara was from Lord of the Rings. The next two were hardly better. Unless Brooks somehow got an injection of talent (which by the first three books he seemed to have zero of), I cannot imagine how First King could be even remotely better than a 4. On a scale of 1-10 I wouldn't rate any of the first three Shannara books higher than a 2, and the first one no better than a 0.05.

On the other hand, I thought Gates was a fantastic book. Pressfield really gets down into the dirty details of the story, the daily life of camp, the training regimen the men go through, the thoughts, hopes and fears they face going into battle and the camaraderie they develop after facing death together. I cannot tell anyone enough how highly I esteem this book, and the next book Pressfield wrote, Tides of War.

I can't tell you you're wrong in your assessment. Maybe you really didn't like Gates for some reason. I really, really did - and I really, really disliked Shannara.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:41 am

knapplc wrote:
J35J wrote:I read 90% of "The Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield(Fiction/Literature) because I ended up seeing the movie(300) before I finished the book. I won't go back and finish the book because it seemed to be very similar to the movie and I know how that ends. 7/10

The last book I've read fully was "First King of Shannara" by Terry Brooks (Fantasy) and plan on reading the whole series. It was a pretty solid book and can't wait to get back into the series, though it looks like I have a couple books to read before it. Anyway, its your "typical" fantasy with trolls, magic, elves, skull bearers, etc 7.5/10



OK - I know it's your opinion and all and I can't tell you that V8 tastes good if you hate tomato juice and all, but I have read Gates of Fire and I have read the first three Shannara books, and I have to say I disagree entirely. The first Shannara book was ENTIRELY a ripoff of Lord of the Rings - exactly the same plot, same storyline, same "twists," same everything. Oddly enough, Gates of Fire is further away from the storyline of 300 than The Sword of Shannara was from Lord of the Rings. The next two were hardly better. Unless Brooks somehow got an injection of talent (which by the first three books he seemed to have zero of), I cannot imagine how First King could be even remotely better than a 4. On a scale of 1-10 I wouldn't rate any of the first three Shannara books higher than a 2, and the first one no better than a 0.05.

On the other hand, I thought Gates was a fantastic book. Pressfield really gets down into the dirty details of the story, the daily life of camp, the training regimen the men go through, the thoughts, hopes and fears they face going into battle and the camaraderie they develop after facing death together. I cannot tell anyone enough how highly I esteem this book, and the next book Pressfield wrote, Tides of War.

I can't tell you you're wrong in your assessment. Maybe you really didn't like Gates for some reason. I really, really did - and I really, really disliked Shannara.



blah, I hate the arguement that because Shannara is so similar to LOTR that it isn't good? :-? I think maybe that is why it is as good as it is is because it is so similar to LOTR, just because Terry Brooks ripped that story line off doesn't make it a bad book/series?? With that said I only gave it 7.5/10 so it wasn't like I was in love here! :-)

As far as Gates goes, it was an ok book. I agree that it went into pretty good detail about how they went through "camp" and all the training and everything but to tell you the truth that became quite boring and I was ready to hear about the war itself! Obviously, to each his own but the whole book and story was kinda predictable to me.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:19 pm

J35J wrote:blah, I hate the arguement that because Shannara is so similar to LOTR that it isn't good? :-? I think maybe that is why it is as good as it is is because it is so similar to LOTR, just because Terry Brooks ripped that story line off doesn't make it a bad book/series?? With that said I only gave it 7.5/10 so it wasn't like I was in love here! :-)

I just can't respect a book that's essentially plagiarism. Honestly, I don't see how it was even published. If you look at his website he even says, "The epic fantasy drew its first, sustained breath when Terry published The Sword of Shannara in 1977. It was a form that J.R.R. Tolkien had used with The Lord of the Rings but which most publishers believed could not make money as a genre." Well, Tolkien had already proven by 1977 that not only could one make money with "the genre" but that it had legs, and it's not that Brooks used the "form" that Tolkien used, he stole the whole plotline lock, stock and barrel. As I read Sword as a 15-year-old kid I was astounded that it was such a blatant copy of Tolkien's work. I think brief references to other works as an homage are fine and even fun, but to take the plot entirely from another story, change the names of the characters and foist it off as your own is a complete crock.

I could sit down tomorrow and write a story about a whaling captain hell-bent on revenge against the monster whale that ate his leg. It would contain a treatise on 18th-century whaling practices, it would have a naively innocent, narrative central character who told us the story, and it would feature some salty old sailors as colorful characters around the boat. I don't know if anyone else has heard of Moby Dick, but that's "the form" I'd be using. ;-7

If you can't tell, I'm miffed at Brooks a little bit. :-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:50 pm

knapplc wrote:
J35J wrote:blah, I hate the arguement that because Shannara is so similar to LOTR that it isn't good? :-? I think maybe that is why it is as good as it is is because it is so similar to LOTR, just because Terry Brooks ripped that story line off doesn't make it a bad book/series?? With that said I only gave it 7.5/10 so it wasn't like I was in love here! :-)

I just can't respect a book that's essentially plagiarism. Honestly, I don't see how it was even published. If you look at his website he even says, "The epic fantasy drew its first, sustained breath when Terry published The Sword of Shannara in 1977. It was a form that J.R.R. Tolkien had used with The Lord of the Rings but which most publishers believed could not make money as a genre." Well, Tolkien had already proven by 1977 that not only could one make money with "the genre" but that it had legs, and it's not that Brooks used the "form" that Tolkien used, he stole the whole plotline lock, stock and barrel. As I read Sword as a 15-year-old kid I was astounded that it was such a blatant copy of Tolkien's work. I think brief references to other works as an homage are fine and even fun, but to take the plot entirely from another story, change the names of the characters and foist it off as your own is a complete crock.

I could sit down tomorrow and write a story about a whaling captain hell-bent on revenge against the monster whale that ate his leg. It would contain a treatise on 18th-century whaling practices, it would have a naively innocent, narrative central character who told us the story, and it would feature some salty old sailors as colorful characters around the boat. I don't know if anyone else has heard of Moby Dick, but that's "the form" I'd be using. ;-7

If you can't tell, I'm miffed at Brooks a little bit. :-D



I hear ya, but for me...someone who doesn't give a rip if its exactly the same story word for word but just has a different cover, I'm reading, almost ONLY, to be entertained. The book and series is entertaining, thats all I care about! :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last Book you read

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:39 pm

Animal Farm - 7/10

Its just ok for me, I didn't really remember alot of it when I read it in junior high. Its a quick read since its only 140 pages or so. The story behind the story is good but I don't know if I could sit through the entire book if it was 400 pages.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact