Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy

Postby babaoriley7 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:42 pm

What do you think about ignoring a catagory to be stronger in others. Such as not having any closers or SB?

i've usually had alright success with that.

Also who would you group odalis perez with?
babaoriley7
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:48 pm

punting a category makes it very dificult to win. you are already conceding around 5-6 points to anyone who even finishes in the middle of that category. i would never go into a draft knowing i was going to punt a cat.

as far as odalis perez, i have him ranked as the # 34 SP, puting him in the CC Sabathia and dontrelle willis range IMO
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Strategy

Postby Erboes » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:55 pm

babaoriley7 wrote:What do you think about ignoring a catagory to be stronger in others. Such as not having any closers or SB?

Punting a cat is, in most cases, suicidal.

I have Perez in the top 25 SP's and a very solid #3 on most staffs in mixed leagues, but I'd bet money that he's traded and his value will plummet.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kentx12 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:57 pm

tlef316 wrote:punting a category makes it very dificult to win. you are already conceding around 5-6 points to anyone who even finishes in the middle of that category. i would never go into a draft knowing i was going to punt a cat.

as far as odalis perez, i have him ranked as the # 34 SP, puting him in the CC Sabathia and dontrelle willis range IMO

I agree with tlef. If you dont want to waste early picks on a closer or someone to get you some steals at least try to pick up a couple of people who can help you in that category in the middle rounds.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:08 pm

It depends on your league format. If its h2h or points based, then punting a catagory isnt as big a deal, and it actually might be the strongest way to go if done correctly.

In roto its suicide.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strategy

Postby trevisc » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:17 pm

babaoriley7 wrote:What do you think about ignoring a catagory to be stronger in others. Such as not having any closers or SB?

that strategy can work well in H2H but won't get you too far in ROTO.

I'd group Odalis with guys like Russ Ortiz, Harden, Contreras, Wade Miller or Hideo Nomo.

somewhere in that group.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:01 pm

Its possible to tank 2 categories...wins and k's, assuming you play 5x5 and there are no mininum inning limits. Draft closers and bats, ignore starting pitching. Make sure you draft a lot of potential closers to round out your staff. Your era, whip, and saves will be top notch. Offense, you have to get a lot of balanced guys. No risky injury picks either. I tried this twice and finished 2nd both times...only lost by 1 point each time. Its tough to win the league, but possible. You will most likely finish in the top 3-4 unless you make some bonehead moves.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:06 pm

I usually don't punt anything, but I would try and punt wins, since there are so many factors outside a pitcher's control that determine that (run support, defensive support, IP, etc, bullpen holding on to the lead), you can't always predict it. I'd go for the other 4 (or 3, if you do 4x4). But I personally don't punt anything. I may aim to finish in the middle of that pack, but never punt it.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Fumbler » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:20 pm

Last year i played in a 16-team Roto league.

I had no closers to speak of...if i remember correctly the best i came up with was Matt Anderson and Franklyn German of the Tigers. I ended up picking Chris Reitsma from waivers when he took over the closers role.

I was stacked with a bunch of quality starters though and ended up winning the league by a slim margin.

So i guess anything is possible if you can make up for it in other areas.

Anyone know if the number of teams in a league would affect the likelihood of being able to punt a given category?
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:37 pm

Now where was that thread about punting four categories...? :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers