Stuck in 2nd? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Stuck in 2nd? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stuck in 2nd? WHIR

Postby chris_dubyuh » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:22 am

It seems as though for some time I have been perennially stuck just a few points behind the leader of our league. Does my team have what it takes to get over the edge and pull out a victory? I know I'm lacking in the saves department, but surprisingly I'm not in last place and I'm doing very well in ERA/WHIP...so, saves aside, can this team get it done? Should I make any changes?

12 Team Roto
Standard 5x5

C - Michael Barrett
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Chase Utley
3B - Mike Lowell
SS - Rafael Furcal
OF - Carl Crawford
OF - Manny Ramirez
OF - Alex Rios
UT - Shane Victorino
BN - Robinson Cano
BN - Jack Cust
BN - Akinori Iwamura

SP - Chris Young
SP - Erik Bedard
RP - Kevin Gregg
RP - Joakim Soria
P - Jonathan Broxton
P - Carlos Marmol
P - Kelvim Escobar
BN - James Shields
BN - Jered Weaver
chris_dubyuh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stuck in 2nd? WHIR

Postby nothingtoproveco » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:03 pm

Overall you have a very solid team on both offense and defense. Obviously Utley's recent injury will set you back a bit but Cano should pick up a bit of the slack while he is out. In my opinion, your pitching is the area that needs the most work. You have few very solid pitchers in Escobar, Weaver, Bedard and Gregg. The downsides of this obviously are Shields who has been struggling greatly recently and who has a very though remaining schedule, and the fact that at this point you have only one true closer. A lot of your relief is dependent on whether or not Soria and Broxton get the nod to close in the near future. You might want to look to broker a deal to get another solid closer if those don't pan out in the near future. Hope that helps a bit... please help my team out when you have the chance: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=310040
nothingtoproveco
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Re: Stuck in 2nd? WHIR

Postby schmidty » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:18 pm

I agree with nothingtoproveco's analysis for the most part. In roto, being non-competitive in a category (in your case, saves) will be the difference between 1st and 2nd. But you have quite a good team. The offense is fantastic for a 12-team league. Pujols, Utley, and Crawford are all 1st round talent, so good job getting them on the same team. You're lucky to have a decent back-up to Utley in Cano, but it does shallow your bench (which could be needed for trades).

Aside from lack of saves, the pitching looks decent. The bloom has gone off of Shields' rose, but I fear it's too late to do anything with him besides drop him or bench him. I think getting a good closer without shaking your team up much is your goal. Maybe a sell high on Escobar. I don't trust Cust or Iwamura to pick up the slack as an everyday player for losing a hitter, but you could investigate the value you'd get for dealing a stud in a multiplayer deal. The team is awfully good as is, so just a little bit more might be all your need.

Look at mine please: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=310093
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team