Thoughts on Alfonso Soriano... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Alfonso Soriano...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Alfonso Soriano...

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:52 am

Thoughts on Alfonso Soriano...

I can't win with the guy :*) .

I avoid him last year due to RFK park, he goes 40-40-40 :*) .

I draft him this year figuring with the Wrigley Wind he'd at least go 30-30 after the prior explosion, and he's sitting 16-13 right now !+) .

So I'll probably not wind up with him next year due to not wanting to burn a high pick on him, and he will do something insane like 50-50 (not really, but you guys know what I mean :*) ).

Hmm....I wonder if he'd give me a percentage of his contract if I don't draft him..... :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jnormy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 pm

His defense has been, at best, adventurous. Any chance the Cubbies move him back to second base, either this year or next? Just curious... I just traded for him for the stretch run, and in my keeper league will have to choose one from among him, Bedard, or Jeter in the same draft position next season. If he was shifted back to 2nd, that'd boost his value trememdously...
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Rounders » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:31 pm

jnormy wrote:His defense has been, at best, adventurous. Any chance the Cubbies move him back to second base, either this year or next? Just curious... I just traded for him for the stretch run, and in my keeper league will have to choose one from among him, Bedard, or Jeter in the same draft position next season. If he was shifted back to 2nd, that'd boost his value trememdously...

Chances are next to 0% that he goes back to 2B. They have Fontenot and DeRosa that both play 2B. DeRosa can move around, but Fontenot is almost strictly a 2B (they've put him at SS a few times, but stopped when he made some errors - and they already have Theriot and Cedeno at SS). They're already having a hard time piecing together something in RF and CF, so if they moved Soriano to 2B, they'd have question marks in all 3 OF positions (not to mention Fontenot sitting on the bench when he should be playing). Yes, Soriano has had trouble with bobbling the ball, but at least he's fast so he can get to a lot of balls, and he has a great arm and puts his throws on the money.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:09 pm

See, I was right about Soriano...just a year too early :)
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby DevilDriver » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:58 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:See, I was right about Soriano...just a year too early :)

He's having a good year though: on pace for 115/30/70/25/.300.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:07 am

I think everyone overlooks the fact that Soriano could be 43 years old right now and no one would know.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby facts » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:03 am

Or we could look at the most obvious reason, injuries. Soriano will get his numbers in the long run, you guys in weekly leagues better hope you don't bench him on one of his 5 hr 5 steal weeks. He's a streaky player and anyone who has owned him before knows this.
facts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:30 am

i recently read that when he signed with the cubs he said that he'd stop stealing as many bases he did with nats because he is with a good team with good talent around him. i wish i knew this before my draft because i took him with the 3rd pick over arod... :-t
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:42 am

dclark0699 wrote:I think everyone overlooks the fact that Soriano could be 43 years old right now and no one would know.

:-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby os_gamejunkie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:56 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i recently read that when he signed with the cubs he said that he'd stop stealing as many bases he did with nats because he is with a good team with good talent around him. i wish i knew this before my draft because i took him with the 3rd pick over arod... :-t

3rd overall? Ouch. I still think that Pujols, A-Rod and Reyes should/will be the top 3 overall. Soriano just TOO good of year last year. I landed A-Rod with the 6th pick with someone taking Beltran at the 5th spot..another inconsistent player with 5-tool ability.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers