Thoughts on Alfonso Soriano... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Alfonso Soriano...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Alfonso Soriano...

Postby High Heater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:57 pm

with a 40/40 season in the books last year and a down year so far this year for him.... whats to be expected by the mega star the Cubs signed in the offseason? is he to be moved from OF or is he a mainstay there?

he's hitting for average and some pop but regressed badly this year in speed.... is age catching up to him (30) now....

thoughts on him for the rest of the way and for next year projections would be much appreciated.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Alfonso Soriano...

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:02 pm

There were several things going against Soriano this year.

1. He came off a historical season
2. Signed a giant contract
3. Age where players tend to start plateauing
4. Nagging injuries

I think he had some leg related injuries so that probalby explains the lack of SBs. The problem with guys like Soriano is that a lot of their value is tied to SBs (much like Beltran, Crawford, Reyes, etc) so that even a small leg injury can significantly affect their value. Why I like to load up on OPS guys early in the draft.

For this year, I think he will continue to disappoint with some hot streaks here and there. I think next year will be much better since people will be down on him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:03 pm

How has he regressed badly in speed? He had an injury that caused him not to run as much, but seems pretty fine now. He just doesn't have to steal as much since he isn't on a bad team anymore (according to him)

Anyway, he is very frustrating, extremely streaky player. I think he will finish with about 30-32 dingers, and 20-25 steals.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby High Heater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:19 pm

i didnt know about the injuries good to hear tho.... thought it was him creeping down torwards being old.

would you guys deal a prospect like a upton/maybin for him in a dynasty league at this point to put your team in contention next year?

he's a player i might target for next year in most drafts with people down on him.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:21 pm

High Heater wrote:i didnt know about the injuries good to hear tho.... thought it was him creeping down torwards being old.

would you guys deal a prospect like a upton/maybin for him in a dynasty league at this point to put your team in contention next year?

he's a player i might target for next year in most drafts with people down on him.

He is the type that can deteriorate very quickly but yeah, I would consider moving Upton/Maybin for him but I'm not as high on Maybin as most people are probably.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:28 am

Re the speed, he got to third pretty quickly when he tripled the other evening.

I think that he's kind of cooling off for now as he has been swinging at utter crap pitches more than he seemed to when he got heated up. The games I've seen where he does well, he cuts his swing down a bit as he gets strikes on him and has gotten some dinky hits that way. The last few games this week, he looked like Sammy, swinging at garbage all over the place. I hope he gets back on track soon though...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Rounders » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:51 pm

I think he's cold because he's had a lot of home games after the break.

Home - 30/5/14/3/.246
Away - 37/11/23/10/.347

I've heard he's said that he's working on adjusting to playing a lot of day games, but his day/night splits aren't nearly as drastic as his home/away splits.

Day - 32/8/15/2/.282
Night - 35/8/22/11/.314
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:17 pm

I don't think he is getting many chances to steal, he doesn't seem to be getting on base all that much in a sb situation. He looks god awful sometimes, some of the pitches he swings at %-6

I don't think he should be leading off, but for whatever reason I guess he can't hit in a different spot.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rounders » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:26 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:I don't think he is getting many chances to steal, he doesn't seem to be getting on base all that much in a sb situation. He looks god awful sometimes, some of the pitches he swings at %-6

I don't think he should be leading off, but for whatever reason I guess he can't hit in a different spot.

He has always been a free swinger, so if it looks like he's swinging at bad pitches, he is. He could probably produce some more RBIs in a different spot, but with Lee at 3 and Ramirez at 4, I don't mind him leading off. And if there's a team in the NL that would most justify him leading off, it would probably be the Cubs since they have a few pitchers that aren't horrible hitters. Personally, I like the idea of starting the game with someone that's as dangerous as him (if he hits a HR, you're leading - if he gets on, he can steal, and his speed can be a distraction to the pitcher), and I like the idea that there will be many games that he'll get an extra AB since he hits 1st instead of 5.th
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:59 pm

I think that the thing about him is that he likes leading off and seems to hit better there or something like that? He has hit .310 leading off and not much elsewhere. It's most of his AB but it seems to work...

link
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers