Piazza hit in head by bottle thrown from stands in Anahiem - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Piazza hit in head by bottle thrown from stands in Anahiem

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Piazza hit in head by bottle thrown from stands in Anahiem

Postby Cyclone177 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:35 pm

I think it's a pretty ballsy thing to throw a bottle at a guy's head!! You would have to be pretty freakin drunk and angry to do that. !+)
Cyclone177
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:40 am

Snakes Gould wrote:completely gutless? its not like he threw a barbell at him. it was a water bottle. the fan shouldnt have done it, but im sure he knew piazza wouldnt have gotten hurt if he got hit by it. im not making excuses for the fan, but the guy isnt going to hell for this. he got kicked out of the stadium and was removed.

i thought the article said after piazza pointed him out he started walking out on his own. that seems like a "gutless" i.e. cowardly thing to do. he messes with someone but can't even look him in the eye afterwards when confronted? i'm not saying he's going to go to hell or anything, but "gutless" does seem to be the right word to use in this situation.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laean » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:47 am

dooz wrote:I'm with you all the way, I just wasn't sure what you meant by the wording you used.

The only reason (and even I feel like I'm clutching at straws here) not to press charges would be that Piazza might end up in ANA before the season is over and he wouldn't want to upset the home crowd. Even then, I'm sure there aren't many Angels' fans defending that POS.

you're right. i live in san diego now, but i'm originally from orange county, and lived in anaheim when i went to high school. thus, i'm both a padres and angels fan. my first thought when i read the title of this thread was "aw gawd, i hope this stupidass moron doesn't make us look bad."

this guy is a freakin' idiot, and i'm sure piazza won't get any crap from the anaheim fans for pressing charges, especially given how mellow/calm/reasonable fans here on the west coast are.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:57 am

I'll be honest, Anaheim isn't the most friendly place to watch a game anymore. I'm an A's fan, and simply wearing the hat has caused things to be thrown my way at games. 95% of Angels fans are family-type people, but I think 5% are leftover Raiders fans. :-b
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Laean » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:33 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I'll be honest, Anaheim isn't the most friendly place to watch a game anymore. I'm an A's fan, and simply wearing the hat has caused things to be thrown my way at games. 95% of Angels fans are family-type people, but I think 5% are leftover Raiders fans. :-b

well, if you're an A's fan you deserve to get things thrown at you ... :-D

seriously though, that's unfortunate.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Re:

Postby SmartassBoiler » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Eagle Baseball wrote:I think charges need to be pressed. An example needs to be made of this guy. If not the next time it could be something worse.

Completely agree. Obviously Piazza doesn't need the money, but it'd be a poor example to set if all was forgotten. I doubt he'll sue him, but to press charges for assault or whatever is perfectly suitable in this case. Hopefully the guy will be punished in some fashion.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pat189 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:59 pm

funny thing is I just read about a Piazza to LAA trade, hah!
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Crippler » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:07 pm

Why on earth would someone get the idea that it is ok to throw garbage at a stranger...much less a huge stranger? What a complete moron.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby citti34 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:42 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:completely gutless? its not like he threw a barbell at him. it was a water bottle. the fan shouldnt have done it, but im sure he knew piazza wouldnt have gotten hurt if he got hit by it. im not making excuses for the fan, but the guy isnt going to hell for this. he got kicked out of the stadium and was removed.

Wow, are you a Philly homer? Of course a Philly fan is going to speak up for this guy. On another note, Piazza isn't pressing charges to "receive" money, he wants this guy to be criminally charged. I bet the majority of you would be PISSED if some random guy threw a bottle at you, I know I would personally go after the guy. But here's the thing, you receive negative PR if you're an athlete and you react.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:16 pm

ugh, i had a long post posted, but it didnt go through. all im saying is the guy was removed from the game and in every stadium thats usually the announcement. if you throw anything onto the field, you will be removed. problem solved. what was supposed to do? stare down piazza after they picked him out. if anything that was the only intelligent thing the guy did, leaving without another altercation.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers