Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:36 pm

RD wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I like him , I don't know what the media are on about.
The guys that swagger because they are really good and know it are the ones I like.
Steroids? If there was no rule against them and up to a third of the league was doing them , then he gets a free pass. ;-D

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic about the "no rules against steroids" argument, but in case you aren't, there aren't any rules in the book regarding molesting children or murder either, so does Barry get a free pass on those?

wow that's a horrible analogy RD...i think you lost any chance of having a meaningful discussion in this thread.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Joe LaCock » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:04 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
RD wrote:
The guys that swagger because they are really good and know it are the ones I like.
Steroids? If there was no rule against them and up to a third of the league was doing them , then he gets a free pass. ;-D

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic about the "no rules against steroids" argument, but in case you aren't, there aren't any rules in the book regarding molesting children or murder either, so does Barry get a free pass on those?

wow that's a horrible analogy RD...i think you lost any chance of having a meaningful discussion in this thread.

C'mon people let's think. RD hit it on the head when he stated that taking steroids without a prescription is illegal and that MLB does not list all criminal offenses in ITS rulesbook. Molestation and murder are not in the rulebook either but I think we know they are against MLB rules. Quit muddying the waters. JOE
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dooz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:29 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
RD wrote:

horrible analogy but as Joe said, it is relevant. RD could have used slightly less extreme crimes as examples.

Here's the thing. Barry is going to break the record. He would have been a HOF'er with or without the record and since he has never been proven guilty, he is a 1st ballot HOF'er, without a doubt. There needs to be no asterisk, as I don't think anybody will forget the circumstances under which Aaron hit 755 and those circumstances under which Bonds hit 755+ (well, only 753 for now). No one can dispute that Aaron did it basically naturally (greenies are pretty tame in comparison to the drugs these days).

Now, I don't like Barry because of his attitude. Maybe the media did create the monster (though, as the "guess whose scouting report this is" game revealed, Bonds' ego has always preceded him) and I am too young to be a primary source (I was a mere toddler when he broke into the league) but the way he handles himself is just very hard to swallow.

I used to dislike ARod (he came out of the division that my favorite team calls home and some of the terms of his $250 million contract were absurd) but he for the most part says the right things and has, again for the most part, handled the over-the-top and excessive media blitz he gets from playing in pinstripes, quite well. His skills command admiration and he does nothing to off the field to warrant vilification.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:45 pm

Murder or molestation wouldn't help his performance on the field, unless of course pitchers were afraid that Bonds might murder or moleste them if they didn't groove one in there.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:58 pm

budgerock wrote:
RD wrote:

That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard. When did Bonds murder anyone? MLB did not test for steroids until 2003. If ANYONE did them before testing it's all speculation and hearsay. He's been found guilty in the court of public opinion, but you still need actual proof if you want to indict him or keep him out of the Hall of Fame.

Correct on both counts, sir. In my view anyway.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:06 pm

"That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard. When did Bonds murder anyone? MLB did not test for steroids until 2003. If ANYONE did them before testing it's all speculation and hearsay. He's been found guilty in the court of public opinion, but you still need actual proof if you want to indict him or keep him out of the Hall of Fame."

Dear people, It IS proven that Bonds took steroids. He ADMITTED to it in Grand Jury testimony. That's the bottom line. He and you can use the word 'unknowingly' all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that he admitted to using them. He will be indicted for perjury this fall and when convicted it will be AGAIN proven that he used them and it will finally be proven that he knowingly used them. Have any of you noticed that he has not challenged a single allegation against him posed by the book, 'Game of Shadows.' He tried to stop them from making a profit on it because some of its info was based on leaked Grand Jury testimony, but he has never tried to refute a single accusation. An innocent man would sue them for all they are worth. Bonds has done nothing legally to refute anything and that says all you need to know.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers